• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

The passage between the wall were for tramcars only: you can see the tracks there. I presume the bollards served as a warning to predestrians not to venture into that walled area as two trams, going in opposite directions, could pass through there. It could be frightening to say the least for some people and dangerous at the worst for others.

Wonderful photograph of the old Bristol Road South, as I remember it in the late 30's and forties. Wonderful tram rides to The Lickey's. Jostling for position when getting on the tram. The best seat was the open top at the front of the tram.
l
The central reservation system is, I understand, still intact, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why BCC does not use this existing facility for ease of public transport and traffic congestion.

There is probably a good reason. Perhaps there is someone on the website than can offer an explanation.

Eddie.

Wonderful photograph of the old Bristol Road South, as I remember it in the late 30's and forties. Wonderful tram rides to The Lickey's. Jostling for position when getting on the tram. The best seat was the open top at the front of the tram.

Eddie.
Hi Eddie - A long queue but plenty of trams to get them home after a nice day on the Lickey Hills in 1948. I remember a scene like this.
oldmohawk
Rednal1948.jpg

You could say that the reserved tracks that were singularly for tramcars, which were found in quite a few cities, were a precursor to the 'buses only' lanes of today. The main difference, of course, is the trams did have exclusivity, whereas bus lanes are shared with some other vehicles today.

Lloyd kindly gives us the finer details of the bollards purpose. Given the frequent occurence of motorists driving along the wrong carriageway into oncoming traffic, in many parts of the world it appears, promts the question of how often motorists and other road users made the mistake of driving onto the tramway reservations. As fog/smog was prevalent at times in our cities in the past it may have been an easy mistake to do.

"Clang! Clang! - Oh! what mistaka to maka!"

I notice the pic I posted in #307 was a bit short of street furniture for this thread, but this forum pic of the same location makes up for it with a Bundy Clock and possibly a second one opposite the tram. Those large passenger shelters kept the rain off the queues although I don't remember it raining on the Lickey's when I was a kid !

Last edited:
old Mohawk: Post #311.

Another wonderful photo that brings back those days of yore!

At the height of summertime weekends those shelters would be full of tram passengers, and there would be a line of trams, as in post #307. Perhaps that second Bundy clock would be for those extra trams, and the busy period. There does appear to be a dividing tram line between the clocks, so perhaps one clock was for incoming trams, and the other for those departing. Just a guess.

As you say, every day at the Lickeys was sunny!

Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
Not street furniture, but plenty of street action. Having looked at post#307, it does appear that the tram in the far distance (centre, right) is one of the old type, open top front/back end trams that I so loved.

The seating, which was wooden, was a long curved seat that fitted the shape of the tram upper deck at both front and back. I think that it would have seated around six or seven people, and in my opinion, and on a nice day, it was the 'best seat in the house'

Eddie

Grand days, those, wouldn't it be nice if we just turn the clock back for a few hours?

Maurice

Looking at the Rednal Tram Shelter in the first pic below, the scroll work of those roof supports brings to mind a picture of a draftsman at his drawing board with tee square, set square, and compass, spending a day or two carefully drawing the design under the supervision of the Chief Draftsman. They could have made it a plain simple design but they didn't.
It was certainly made in Britain.

The second pic which is one of Ellbrown's photos showing a modern bus shelter in Station St from his post here.
The design of the modern shelter (very functional and neat) was certainly done on a computer with the design probably transmitted to machines which made the parts hopefully in Britain. Perhaps this design of shelter will also be used with the Metro trams.

Both shelter designs are suitable for their times !

At Rednal long ago
RednalShelter.jpg

In Station St today
22087853941_f16eae251a_z.jpg

On the subject of shelters, I'd always thought that bus/ tram shelters were very common structures along our streets. So I decided to have a look around old photos to see what I could find, the main purpose being to look at how they've developed over time and the different forms they've taken. The Rednal photo in post #315 is a wonderful example of ironwork and glass. And I've seen photos of the shelters which once stood near Snow Hill Station/St. Phillip's on Colmore Row, also fairly ornately designed. But I struggled to find any photos of other shelters from the past (not modern day ones). I wondered if there were very few shelters up until the 1950s/60s? Or were they just too uninteresting to photograph? If there were very few built, what was the deciding factor for a tram/bus stop to have a shelter? Would they only have been at a terminus, like the Rednal one?

When we look at modern-day shelters like the second one in post #315, they seem to be more functional in design. I suppose that makes them easier to maintain. Even those erected in the 60's and 70s were pretty functionional and (green or dark blue on WMPTE routes?). They had gaps at the bottom so, although you might be out of the elements, a howling wind could be biting at your ties.

One nice example that still survives today is the wooden shelters you occasionally find in rural locations. Often built like a little house or veranda. Nice and cosy inside with a bench on which to rest your weary legs.

"Bring back more interesting bus shelters please" ! Viv.

This was the Bull Street tram stop in July 2015.

A tram stop at Jewellery Quarter seen in January 2015

Viv: In addition to the lovely old bus shelter locations that you have already mentioned, I recall the old Acocks Green (tram) terminal. I seem to remember that it was also of the old ironwork/glass structure. At least that is what my childhood brain still sees.

Looking at the two photographs that you have posted, the first really shows old British craftsmanship at its best, and it is so beautifully designed. Like the buildings that were also built in those days.

The second: practical? functional?.....certainly, but it also looks so depressing. To my mind, this is a hugely compressed version that's reflects the modern building concept. Todays designs , and architecture, always appears to be built as if they are not meant to be permanent fixtures. Perhaps that is part of the greater plan.

Eddie

I am sure there were ornate bus shelters along Hill Street opposite
the Futurist Cinema/outside New Street StationScreenshot (16).jpg

Last edited:
I notice there was an ornate tram shelter in an earlier post I made in this thread. I lived on the north side of the city and it seems most of the ornate tram shelters were built on the south side ....
In the pic below which is on the forum server, the lady with the 'invisible' leg first caught my eye but some interesting street furniture on the island. There looks to be a bollard by the people on the right, a very decorative gas lamp, and a nice sign post.
Image5_Yardley_Tram_Terminus_z.jpg

They have natural stone shelters in Cumbria Viv. West Malvern had a brick one till recently. It might still have. It had a loo as well but that was removed. Bus shelters with loos would be good.

Thanks all. Once you say " You don't see many ..... these days", a whole convoy of them turns up!! I like the suggestion of bus/tram shelters with toilets, makes sense. Although expect they'd be trashed in no time. I'd forgotten about brick-built shelters too. New tram systems seem to be getting their fair share of them. It's like the Croydon tram system down here. I think every stop has a shelter.

You can't have enough shelters, although you have to have the passengers to justify them. Viv.

Viv: In addition to the lovely old bus shelter locations that you have already mentioned, I recall the old Acocks Green (tram) terminal. I seem to remember that it was also of the old ironwork/glass structure. At least that is what my childhood brain still sees.

Looking at the two photographs that you have posted, the first really shows old British craftsmanship at its best, and it is so beautifully designed. Like the buildings that were also built in those days.

The second: practical? functional?.....certainly, but it also looks so depressing. To my mind, this is a hugely compressed version that's reflects the modern building concept. Todays designs , and architecture, always appears to be built as if they are not meant to be permanent fixtures. Perhaps that is part of the greater plan.

Eddie

Think it's often down to cost and on-going maintenance Eddie.,I too think the modern ones aren't interesting. But maybe eventually more ornate designs might see a return. You see it with lamp posts, bins, street seats, especially in areas with a heritage interest. We can hope. Viv.

I think the old Birmingham City Transport had a draftsman who liked designing scroll shapes, and as he was thinking about them he probably puffed on his pipe as designers did in those days ...

Looking through the forum pics I picked the one below at random. Look at those tram line poles, the designer put scroll work above and below the cross bar even though the plain top strut actually supports the bar. The funny thing is, back in those days probably no one gave them a second glance.
When we had a large Royal Navy little boys were proud to wear 'sailor suits' and walk with their dads. It's a good excuse to show this pic of Erdington High Street c1915 near Six Ways, and looking through the old pics, Erdington seems to have been one of the most 'photogenic' districts in Birmingham. Just look at those first floor windows and balustrade on the left .....
1915c-HighStErdington.jpg

Maybe he had retired by the time the bus shelter below was built. It's not too pretty but they did manage to get a scroll roof support on it.
This is Albert St in 1962 approximately the same time as the previous photos, you can see the junction with New Meeting St and if you look closely on the shop frontage by the number 50 bus terminus you will see the Albert Street nameplate.
index.php

2nd pic only shows if you are logged in !

Last edited:
As far as I know all the iron work, for municipal use and other needs, was illustreated in catalogues provided by the numerous foundries in Britain. The transport department would have chosen from these catalogues or maybe, given the large order that the City would placing, were able to have a unique design produced for them. There would be some record of the puchase I guess - maybe Wythall folks may know.

Birmingham usually bought from fairly local suppliers sso it could well be that a Birmingham, or more likely Black Country foundary was used. Birmingham, it appears, as far as thier municipal transport system was concerned, rarley skimped on choice and only the best was usually chosen. The decorative scroll work of the overhead power wire supports are evidence of this. Many other places used much less attractive ironwork.

Think it's often down to cost and on-going maintenance Eddie.,I too think the modern ones aren't interesting. But maybe eventually more ornate designs might see a return. You see it with lamp posts, bins, street seats, especially in areas with a heritage interest. We can hope. Viv.
In Lyme in Dorset lamp posts are decorated with an ammonite

As far as I know all the iron work, for municipal use and other needs, was illustreated in catalogues provided by the numerous foundries in Britain. The transport department would have chosen from these catalogues or maybe, given the large order that the City would placing, were able to have a unique design produced for them. There would be some record of the puchase I guess - maybe Wythall folks may know.
Oh well, I'll have to imagine BCT's 'Decorative Ironwork Committee' sat round a table looking at catalogues as they decided how much they could spend without having to ask the councillors for extra funds .... :)

Last edited:
Foundry work is a dying art. My brother in law was a foundry worker, and here in Norwich, as late as the 1960's there were five foundry's in one road, Now there remains one small one.

Whilst we are on the subject of 'street furniture', no one seems to talk much about the old foundry manufactured road and street signs, so distinctive to Birmingham.

Occasionally on TV I catch sight of one in some programme, sometimes without the location being mentioned, and I say to my wife "That is in Birmingham".

They were also beautifully designed. A lovely scrolled outer edge, tapered at each end, with black raised lettering on a white background.

Something else that changed the scenery.

Eddie

Agree, those signs are truly special. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 7
These two are especially nice examples. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
Many thanks Viv.

Great examples.

Living close by, I can say that Norwich has many delightful features, but road signs? Naaaah!!!. In my opinion 'Brum' beats every other hands place down on this subject. There are not 'just one or two' nice road name plates, but can be found all over the city.

Does anyone have a photograph of the ANDERTON ROAD sign, in Sparkbrook? It would evoke many memories, and I will possibly break down and cry, with much emotion!!

Eddie

Many thanks devonjim.

It never occurred to me to look on Goodle, although I now have.

The sign that you have posted is on a house near the corner with Sydenham Road, so I decided to look further. Guess what?

On the wall of number 67 Anderton Road, (we lived at 75), there is another lovely road plate, and there is also ANOTHER drain pipe in front of it!!

Why do people do silly things like this. Is it laziness, or just 'the modern way'?

Why not place the drainpipe differently, or....even easier........MOVE THE ROAD SIGN????? It is sad to see these lovely old road and street name plates abused like this. Are they no longer appreciated?

On a separate issue, I note that the lovely old confectionary shop (No. 63), that we used to visit in the forties, for sweets, and summer ice cream, is now obviously not just closed each day, but is boarded up, as is the shop next to it, which was, in my day, a greengrocers. It now looks ugly and very depressing.

Eddie

image.jpg
These signs could be attached to walls or could be free-standing, or even attached to a fence like this one. They certainly have a longer life span compared with some later wooden signs, such as this Queensway sign of the 1970's. This had deteriorated and no longer complied with regulations. When the sign was removed it disintegrated. But more modern signs like this are being collected up to put on display at the Birmingham City University. They are being preserved as part of the history of Birmingham's road development and of the typography of road signage. See two articles here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/new-era-famous-birmingham-city-8539111

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/bu...led-birmingham-queensway-tunnels-sign-8526663
Viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back