• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford

nijinski

master brummie
There is a lot of landmarks disappearing from in and around stechford. Places you could use as direction guides.places like the richmond pub. I think they were replaced by apartments. The beaufort. Cinema which was replaced by a diy store then aldi's. Then here's parkinson cowan on station rd. The co-op bakery on manor rd. Talking of manor rd they even pulled down the manor house.otherwise known as the bull's head for I. Believe a lidl store and the bingo hall at the bottom of flaxley rd, the name escapes me right now. The way things are going soon won't be any landmarks left in stechford to direct people by. And this is what they call progress. Is mcvities bakery still their I wonder?

The Atlas Ballroom / Bingo Hall, Flaxley Rd, Stechford. When it was still a ballroom.

Attachments

• Stechford Flaxley Rd The Atlas Ballroom.jpg
    Stechford Flaxley Rd The Atlas Ballroom.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 77
Is the Lido still there?

My schoolfriend and I used to go there sometimes in the summer hols in the 60's.
We used to take the number 11 bus from Perry Barr, took ages to get to Stetchford!

hi berniew
good picture taken ; but it certainly looked good in its hay day very clean and tidy ;
i recall the atlas as well and the old bull ;and i think its a disgrace the way poor old stechford as become i met my old dutchess
just across the rd facing the old TSB bank my old dutchess used have her bank she lived down the rd facing
which is mannor rd stechford as we all know and still is ; and the old bakery as gone ,its now an old peoples commutity complex
facing there is the old wide open park where i ran the old community youth club during thesummer months on them fields
and organised football and rounders and other sports that was when it was really buzzing with kids
but sadly like most commuitys they have died i,m afraid
stechford is now ver bleak and terrible ;its not a place i would want to live i,m afraid i have been down stechford over the last few months
delivering and i was shocked to se the state of the area i can recall when the gangs was terrorising people and nortoriuos
and the council took action and evicted all the big familys of trouble lydon rd was bad and all the street was moved out and split up to stop this rd
of big gangs terrising the stret and of mannor rd ; they put new familys in ; but now its worse than ever in my eyes ;
i think stechford is neglected now by the council i see there is a big shoppingmall on the old parkinton and cowan site ;
and would have backed onto the old co/op bakery ;those was the glory days ; best wishes Astonian;

I used to be dragged screaming by my mother to the Atlas cinema, the Beaufort Cinema and the other one on the railway bridge near the Pelham pub to watch dancing and musical films.I now cringe when ever the names Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers and Gene Kelly are mentioned.

The cinema near the Pelham is the Capital, I don't know if it is still a cinema.

Regards trebor

7686599608_c0ce7f904b_z.jpg5705205752_c2c5e86f36_z.jpg
And this is what they changed it for bernie a block of concrete with glass. Regards nijinski

Attachments

• 7686599608_c0ce7f904b_z.jpg
    7686599608_c0ce7f904b_z.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 59
Hi Derek you've lived in a few places have you got a caravan , at least you kept them tidy .Hi Alan I remember Manor park that was big grassy and tidy . The replacement buildings haven't done much to improve the look have they Nijinski

Hi bernie, interesting picture. It looks like the opposite side of iron lane to parkinson. Cowan i'd say. Do you remember anewsagents about there where you sell your ciggy coupons and you could buy a fishing net for the pond or the river. Stechford does seems to have gone downhill if you'll pardon the pun. Looking at goole maps there seems to be an awful lot of industry build up on the one side of the river if I remember correctly. It's not what it used to be is it bernie. Regards nijinski

Hi Derek you've lived in a few places have you got a caravan , at least you kept them tidy .Hi Alan I remember Manor park that was big grassy and tidy . The replacement buildings haven't done much to improve the look have they Nijinski

I have that Bernie..I'm living rough now though,lol.

There is a lot of landmarks disappearing from in and around stechford. Places you could use as direction guides.places like the richmond pub. I think they were replaced by apartments. The beaufort. Cinema which was replaced by a diy store then aldi's. Then here's parkinson cowan on station rd. The co-op bakery on manor rd. Talking of manor rd they even pulled down the manor house.otherwise known as the bull's head for I. Believe a lidl store and the bingo hall at the bottom of flaxley rd, the name escapes me right now. The way things are going soon won't be any landmarks left in stechford to direct people by. And this is what they call progress. Is mcvities bakery still their I wonder?

The Richmond Pub has been replaced by a NHS centre, there are newish apartments opposite the police station. The Manor House was left empty for a while and was then set on fire, it has now been demolished and it's just empty ground at the moment, there was someone selling christmas trees from there at Christmas. A Lidl store was built on the Mackadwown and also the Pelham, though that one has closed and been taken over by someone else.

I'm a bit too yong to remember the Beaufort, wish I did and I like the pictures of Sation Road, there are still a row of old houses (or at least they look old) on the hill of Sation Road opposite the new retail park. And the snooker club is still there on the island of land made by Sation Rd, Iron Lane and Flaxley Rd - and that should be knocked down.

Your probably right about the location Nijinski my memory is not too good .Blimy Derek Solihull is it

This IS the place on the #11 bus route I spent many hours train spotting, The bellowing smoke as the trains went under the bridge Thanks for the phot, Jphn Crump OldBrit Parker, Colorado USA

Most of the big houses opposite the police station are flats now, they were wonderful houses, my great aunts lived at 331 and dad lived there from age 8. I used to stay with my aunts in the summer holidays, the house had a cellar which terrified me and the attics which I loved, so many trunks with clothes and pics in that sadly got thrown away when the aunts had to move to a ground floor warden controlled flat. The front bedroom had a dressing room attached to it, this was my room, you could watch the police station from it and the road, watch the No 11 going past. We used to walk up to the shops opposite the swimming baths, an electrical shop nd a shop which sold wool, sewing bits and clothes - I had a dress form there which I loved. Also in the village, the church, Corpus Christi, the aunts were very devout Catholics. Many happy memories of Stechford for me.And for dad when he was growing up - before Bordesley Green went through to the Meadway, he and his mate John used to have their den in the trees where the traffic lights are now.
Sue

Back