• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford Area

moving on up the road a bit on the boarder os stechford and The Glebe.

Image11Glebe_Farm_1963.jpg
Image10_Glebe_Farm_1969.jpg

Image9_Glebe_Farm_1962.jpg
Image8_Glebe_Farm_1969.jpg

Image7_The_Cock_N_Bull_Glebe_Farm.jpg
Image6_Glebe_Farm_1962.jpg

Regards Stars
i remember this place with fondness, we used to walk up there shopping, my mom myself and my little sister. it was a beautiful place, plenty of space, lots of trees, very clean and very neat. then later on in my when i would be about 11 years i used to go up with nan and grandad in the car for shopping and for faggots and peas from the chippy, delicious, never found anything as nice tasting as those faggots from that day to this.

i remember this place with fondness, we used to walk up there shopping, my mom myself and my little sister. it was a beautiful place, plenty of space, lots of trees, very clean and very neat. then later on in my when i would be about 11 years i used to go up with nan and grandad in the car for shopping and for faggots and peas from the chippy, delicious, never found anything as nice tasting as those faggots from that day to this.
The first picture is where I caught the bus to school I remember all the other places with fond memories even worked one Saturday delivering groceries for wrensons I think as friend was away.
The faggots and peas were wonderful used to take a white basin to get them.
Went shopping with my mom on Saturday mornings ready for all the family to arrive on Sunday 13 altogether .
Great days

My surname does begin with s so you are correct so how do I find out who you are ?
Ha ha - it’s not a secret honest and is already in this thread earlier. Diane Walker.
Our family home was on Gillscroft, off Church Lane. We lived opposite the Purtons and Mary’s (Purton) sister (Lily Moult) lived just up from you I think. She used to ‘mind’ me alongside the Purton kids in school hols. I hope they paid her well because with her own son, there were 4 of us all day!

Are you still local? I never have cause to get over that way any more.

My grandma and spinster aunt lived at 36 The Riddings up to 1963 when they were re-housed at Castle Vale. As a small boy in the late 40s I was a bit scared of walking along this road because it was a council estate but I never had any trouble from other kids there. I remember the Atlas cinema and McVities biscuit factory. Happy memories of a world gone forever.

Ha ha - it’s not a secret honest and is already in this thread earlier. Diane Walker.
Our family home was on Gillscroft, off Church Lane. We lived opposite the Purtons and Mary’s (Purton) sister (Lily Moult) lived just up from you I think. She used to ‘mind’ me alongside the Purton kids in school hols. I hope they paid her well because with her own son, there were 4 of us all day!

Are you still local? I never have cause to get over that way any more.
Should of looked but remember you from those days the moults did live a few doors away and 5 is a right handful.
I used to go over that way every few weeks to see a mate of mine Keith who was the butcher by the library.but no so much as he closed the shop. I was in Cole hall lane Sunday watching the eldest grandson play football.
Did you move a long way we are out by polesworth

Should of looked but remember you from those days the moults did live a few doors away and 5 is a right handful.
I used to go over that way every few weeks to see a mate of mine Keith who was the butcher by the library.but no so much as he closed the shop. I was in Cole hall lane Sunday watching the eldest grandson play football.
Did you move a long way we are out by polesworth
Is that Keith Kendall? I remember him too. He started there at the butchers as a teenager I think and he used to go to the Co-op club and so did I - I have a brilliant long term memory lol but haven't got a clue what I go into the kitchen for! I didn't move that far Col
- just near Sutton so not a million miles away.

Is that Keith Kendall? I remember him too. He started there at the butchers as a teenager I think and he used to go to the Co-op club and so did I - I have a brilliant long term memory lol but haven't got a clue what I go into the kitchen for! I didn't move that far Col
- just near Sutton so not a million miles away.
Yes it was Keith he started as Saturday boy for hallidays with another lad who lived by entrance to glebe farm park I ended up going to a co op youth club conference in Skegness when I was 15 for the youth club that was a giggle do you remember lolly a bit of a terraway but a great mate of mine

Yes it was Keith he started as Saturday boy for hallidays with another lad who lived by entrance to glebe farm park I ended up going to a co op youth club conference in Skegness when I was 15 for the youth club that was a giggle do you remember lolly a bit of a terraway but a great mate of mine
Are you still in touch? The lad who lived next to the park was called Phil I think, can't remember his last name. As I recall he was the boyfriend of Maureen Roberts for a while and she was later killed in the pub bombings I don't remember the name Lolly tho. A long time ago eh?!

Are you still in touch? The lad who lived next to the park was called Phil I think, can't remember his last name. As I recall he was the boyfriend of Maureen Roberts for a while and she was later killed in the pub bombings I don't remember the name Lolly tho. A long time ago eh?!
Still see Keith now and again he drinks in wheatsheaf pub occasionally. His wife died a few years ago and after that the business wasnt so important. Phil barnes was his name you have got a good memory. Lolly was steven lawrence to give him his full title. Had a few brothers. Kate logan used to live by you in church lane went out with and married alan jarred who lived in elliot road. I used to go out with nita kelly who was probably my first girlfriend. Do you see anyone from glebe now?

Barnes! That's it! He was a bit of a likely lad lol.
Yes I remember Kate and I think she had 2 sisters, 1 called Marina which I thought was very exotic. Don't recall her husband.
And I knew Nita, her house backed onto the railway we used to hang around together. Her mate Jackie Brooks lived near me too.
What a shame about Keith's wife; she couldn't have been very old. I'm sure he appreciates your friendship.

Hiya, I have someone looking for a shop (radio shop) in which he thinks was ‘stechford hollow’ not hear of that but I saw someone mention earlier bought a transistor radio by these shops? (@Dido) He said it was Matthews and sons, anyone remember it? It was his grandads shop and is trying to find some pictures of it if he can! Many thanks

Sorry I don't know this shop but maybe Stechford Hollow could be the shops pictured earlier in this thread, near Warrenders. The row was in a dip from the station on Station Rd toward Washwood Heath. That could be The Hollow? Sorry not to be very helpful.

Barnes! That's it! He was a bit of a likely lad lol.
Yes I remember Kate and I think she had 2 sisters, 1 called Marina which I thought was very exotic. Don't recall her husband.
And I knew Nita, her house backed onto the railway we used to hang around together. Her mate Jackie Brooks lived near me too.
What a shame about Keith's wife; she couldn't have been very old. I'm sure he appreciates your friendship.
She did can’t remember the other sisters name but marina was always called Lou Lou for some reason
We used to babysit for Nitas two brothers before they moved to Shirley.
I think jackie still lives over that way as bumped into lolly a few years ago and he said her mom had passed and he was going to funeral I meant to keep in touch with him but lost his number
Not seen anyone else for a long time shame really as some great people and we had some great times just sat in bedders fish and chip shop which brings back lots of memories

Hiya, I have someone looking for a shop (radio shop) in which he thinks was ‘stechford hollow’ not hear of that but I saw someone mention earlier bought a transistor radio by these shops? (@Dido) He said it was Matthews and sons, anyone remember it? It was his grandads shop and is trying to find some pictures of it if he can! Many thanks
How long ago are we looking? I was a regular customer at Matthews Electronics in Hurst St, later in Sherlock St, but I have no idea where they started, and this may be an entirely different business.

How long ago are we looking? I was a regular customer at Matthews Electronics in Hurst St, later in Sherlock St, but I have no idea where they started, and this may be an entirely different business.
Looking at around 60’s in stechford

She did can’t remember the other sisters name but marina was always called Lou Lou for some reason
We used to babysit for Nitas two brothers before they moved to Shirley.
I think jackie still lives over that way as bumped into lolly a few years ago and he said her mom had passed and he was going to funeral I meant to keep in touch with him but lost his number
Not seen anyone else for a long time shame really as some great people and we had some great times just sat in bedders fish and chip shop which brings back lots of memories
Have you recieved my e mails ?

Brilliant photos bringing back so many early childhood memories. My parents Geoff and Audrey Ellis had the Fish and Chip shop at 159 Station Road where I was raised.
The bridge over the river Cole was one of my playgrounds. The newsagent next to the railway line was where I bought my comics. The view of Cartwright's Timber merchants next to the railway line is interesting. One of the cars on the left is a Bond three-wheeler. This particular one is not mine, but I did own one later!
The most evocative photo for me is the view of the railway station itself. I would see this on my way to Hudson House School in Victoria Road every morning. We didn't have school on Wednesday afternoons and my grandmother would take me on the train to see cartoons at the Jacey cinema in Birmingham. It was the era of the demise of steam and I used to be delighted if our train was steam-drawn and very disappointed if it was diesel-drawn.
Hello. Thank you for bringing back memories of my life in Stechford. My name was Susan Johnson, born 1951 Lived next to Hudson House School then with my Mom, Dad ( Eric Johnson) and Aunt/ Uncle Edna & Tom Wilson. moved to Stechford Club over from the Train Station living in the bungalow behind as my Dad was the Steward for 15 years. I went to Hudson house School at 4 yrs old and on to Sir Wilfred Martineau, Tile Cross. I worked at the small supermarket next to your fish and chip shop and obviously ate the food regularly. thank you. Retired to France 15 years ago and have had a wonderful life with my husband of 52 years. Healthy and happy after all these years is amazing. Regards Sue Johnson now Scott.

Hello. Thank you for bringing back memories of my life in Stechford. My name was Susan Johnson, born 1951 Lived next to Hudson House School then with my Mom, Dad ( Eric Johnson) and Aunt/ Uncle Edna & Tom Wilson. moved to Stechford Club over from the Train Station living in the bungalow behind as my Dad was the Steward for 15 years. I went to Hudson house School at 4 yrs old and on to Sir Wilfred Martineau, Tile Cross. I worked at the small supermarket next to your fish and chip shop and obviously ate the food regularly. thank you. Retired to France 15 years ago and have had a wonderful life with my husband of 52 years. Healthy and happy after all these years is amazing. Regards Sue Johnson now Scott.
Hi Sue,
I have found some photographs of my parents Geoff and Audrey Ellis at their Fish & Chip Shop, 159 Station Road, Stetchford taken 21 May 1963. Look at those prices: cod 1s 2d, plaice 1s 3d. Pies from Telfers and Fleur de Lysfish shop 21 May 1963 Audrey Ellis.jpgfish shop 21 May 1963 Geoffrey Ellis 2nd view.jpgfish shop 21 May 1963 Geoffrey Ellis.jpg

Hi,

Lovely pics of the Fish and Chip shop. The only radio shop that I can remember in
the area was Wilkes Electrical, which I think was next door to the chippie.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

A great pic of Claudia Sims, I was never in her class, and I left there in 1954.
My teachers were Miss Bixby, Miss Mansell , and Mrs Patterson. (not too sure of the Miss/Mrs)!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

A great pic of Claudia Sims, I was never in her class, and I left there in 1954.
My teachers were Miss Bixby, Miss Mansell , and Mrs Patterson. (not too sure of the Miss/Mrs)!

Kind regards
Dave
Fantastic pic's....
Can't stop looking at the sweets for sale... Rolos, Opal Fruits, Toffos....
They are not that size now !

Claudia Sims taken on my last day at Hudson House 1958View attachment 177329
What a great photo of Claudia Sims. I went to Hudson House from 1952 to 1957. My teachers were Miss Jacques, Miss Bixby, Miss Davis, Mrs. Mansell, Miss Patterson and Mrs. Sims. Some of my classmates were, Elizabeth Riley, Jacqueline Broadfield, Hilary Ward, Susan Smith, Paul Bent, Kenneth Ridge, Christopher Mercer. What memories.

Back