• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

Brilliant photos bringing back so many early childhood memories. My parents Geoff and Audrey Ellis had the Fish and Chip shop at 159 Station Road where I was raised.
The bridge over the river Cole was one of my playgrounds. The newsagent next to the railway line was where I bought my comics. The view of Cartwright's Timber merchants next to the railway line is interesting. One of the cars on the left is a Bond three-wheeler. This particular one is not mine, but I did own one later!
The most evocative photo for me is the view of the railway station itself. I would see this on my way to Hudson House School in Victoria Road every morning. We didn't have school on Wednesday afternoons and my grandmother would take me on the train to see cartoons at the Jacey cinema in Birmingham. It was the era of the demise of steam and I used to be delighted if our train was steam-drawn and very disappointed if it was diesel-drawn.

Brilliant photos bringing back so many early childhood memories. My parents Geoff and Audrey Ellis had the Fish and Chip shop at 159 Station Road where I was raised.
The bridge over the river Cole was one of my playgrounds. The newsagent next to the railway line was where I bought my comics. The view of Cartwright's Timber merchants next to the railway line is interesting. One of the cars on the left is a Bond three-wheeler. This particular one is not mine, but I did own one later!
The most evocative photo for me is the view of the railway station itself. I would see this on my way to Hudson House School in Victoria Road every morning. We didn't have school on Wednesday afternoons and my grandmother would take me on the train to see cartoons at the Jacey cinema in Birmingham. It was the era of the demise of steam and I used to be delighted if our train was steam-drawn and very disappointed if it was diesel-drawn.
Hudson house school brings back memories my friend went there in the fifties

Hudson house school brings back memories my friend went there in the fifties

Hi littleprid,

I went there too, between 1950 and 1954, very handy too, - I only
lived three doors away!
And what a great view of the railway both from the playground and our house.

By the way it was in Frederick Road.

Kind regards
Dave

Couldn't resist posting a Hudson House School photograph. From my age on it I would guess it is about 1963 to 1966. I know quite a few of the names on the photo if anybody is interested. Unfortunately I have had to scan it at low resolution to fit the BHF size limit.

Attachments

• Hudson House.jpg
    Hudson House.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72
Couldn't resist posting a Hudson House School photograph. From my age on it I would guess it is about 1963 to 1966. I know quite a few of the names on the photo if anybody is interested. Unfortunately I have had to scan it at low resolution to fit the BHF size limit.
I have also just spotted, looking at it again, that the railway signals of the Stechford stretch of the railway line into Birmingham are clearly visible in the background. If anybody would like to swap memories of Hudson House School, Stechford please fire away. I loved it. I only know of one single member of my alumni, I would like to discover more.

Is it from Albert Road looking across at Stuart Road with Lyttleton Road to the left and Richmond Road to the right?
I had also been wondering this. It looks like there is another road on the left behind the girls.
I remember there were a lot of horse chestnuts around Lyttleton Rd. (My brother broke his arm falling out of one! )

Is Corpus Christi School still there?

I've been really enjoying people's memories on here :)

Like you, Flaxley Girl, I had a trek to school: the 14 to town, walk across town to Colmore Row then the 7 to St Paul's. At a time when school finished at 4, I was out from 7.30am - 5.30 pm from the age of 11. Who said, 'Those were the days' lol.
Me too Dido. I went from Lea village to St Paul.s. ..Same bus journey. And it was a long day ! Started at St Paul.s in 1950 .

I had also been wondering this. It looks like there is another road on the left behind the girls.
I remember there were a lot of horse chestnuts around Lyttleton Rd. (My brother broke his arm falling out of one! )

Is Corpus Christi School still there?

I've been really enjoying people's memories on here :)
Yes Corpus Christi School is still there .The old Church Where I was married in 1963 was demolished and a new one built . I went to C C School from 1944 to 1950

I have also just spotted, looking at it again, that the railway signals of the Stechford stretch of the railway line into Birmingham are clearly visible in the background. If anybody would like to swap memories of Hudson House School, Stechford please fire away. I loved it. I only know of one single member of my alumni, I would like to discover more.

Hi Jason,

You were obviously there quite a while after me. But I do remember the names of the teachers.
There was Miss Jacques who taught the very young kids in the House, the next teacher was
Miss Bixby, followed by Miss or was it Mrs Mansell, and for the eldest Mrs Patterson. There was also
a Miss Sims who I believe was related to the owners, but their name escapes me. Was it Mr and Mrs
Farmer? I wonder if any of them were still there when you attended.

Incidentally, I think the pole and attachments you can see behind the building is actually a telegraph pole.
There were signals at the end of the platforms, but would not have been visible in that picture.
The main signals were on the other side of Albert Road at the junction of the New St. and Aston Lines.

Kind regards
Dave

Last edited:
Yes Corpus Christi School is still there .The old Church Where I was married in 1963 was demolished and a new one built . I went to C C School from 1944 to 1950
I've got strong memories of the old wooden church and remember the new one being built. I'm guessing that was built around 1970.

My sister was married there in 1965 I think it was. I almost remember the smell in there and the benches with the slightly soft finish to them, the baptism font at the back and the choir area upstairs.

I remember being told off in mass for playing with my Man from Uncle cards that I'd collected from sweet cigarettes :joy:

Hi littleprid,

I went there too, between 1950 and 1954, very handy too, - I only
lived three doors away!
And what a great view of the railway both from the playground and our house.

By the way it was in Frederick Road.

Kind regards
Dave
Sorry, I have only just picked this up. I did not go to Hudson House, it was my friend Stephanie Dodd - we are still friends over 70 years later!

Can any one explain how a bench seat with Stechford written on the back top rail ended up on the railway station in
Betws-y-Coed North Wales ? Geff

Image18_Station_Rd_stechford.jpg

Image17_Station_Rd_Stechford_1955.jpg

Hope you enjoy and please let us know your stories, if it brings back any memories for you. Regards Stars

[/QUOTE in the above pic there was 3 shop on the corner of iron lane/station rd, next to parkinsons and was still there in 1980s i remember them
but in the pic above that they were not there. strainge
[/QUOTE]
Just thought I'd mention that when I drove this way today, the first time in a long time - I was shocked to find a dual carriageway and a couple of islands where these shops used to be! Progress, I guess!

Back