• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

@FlaxleyGirl I didn't go to CC - Our Lady's was my primary school. My much older brother got married at CC. Father Corcoran was the parish priest at that time; a giant of a man, at least to little me! The church at that time (mid 60s) was a wooden 'hut'. Mom and I often went to mass there if we'd missed the rare Sunday bus to the Mackadown. Great memories.
I also went to Our Lady’s from 1962 - 64 when I went to Byng Kenrick. When were you there? My Mom & Dad were married at Corpus Christie in 1947. I remember going to mass there as mas at Our Lady’s was held in Archbishop Williams’s school hall before the church was built. Do you remember Father Dinan & Father O’Connor at Our Lady’s?

moving on up the road a bit on the boarder os stechford and The Glebe.

Image11Glebe_Farm_1963.jpg
Image10_Glebe_Farm_1969.jpg

Image9_Glebe_Farm_1962.jpg
Image8_Glebe_Farm_1969.jpg

Image7_The_Cock_N_Bull_Glebe_Farm.jpg
Image6_Glebe_Farm_1962.jpg

Regards Stars
I grew up in Glebe Farm. Lived in Betley Grove off Bushbury Road. Many happy memories including the Co-Op Youth Club & Community Centre discos in the late 60s. It was a good place to live then.

Very sad about the Glebe church and surronding area , my late inlaws Mr & Mrs Wallbank where amounst the founders off that church , they would be hearbroken to see it now , i am glad they didnt live to see it . We where marrried ther in 1980 and as where my husband sister and brother before us , I lived in Elmore rd , my husband in Flaxley rd so all the above pictures where great memories for us , many thanks does anyone remmeber the wallbank family from flaxley rd , where well known in the baptist church .
I remember Mr & Mrs Wallbank. They were a lovely couple. I also knew their daughter Barbara. Her daughter was at school with mine.

Hi All
Just read through this thread and found it very interesting all though i didnt live there we used to use the swimming baths and i remember the area as shown it the photos its all changed now not for the better either but its the same for all areas that you used to frequent when we were younger.
Can any one tell me what was on the baths site before or was there an older baths.

phil
The baths were built on part of Manor Park. We were most miffed at first as we used to go tobogganing down the hills in winter but then we loved the baths once they were opened. You could get a good sun tan round the lido. We also used to climb over the fence on our way home from The Swan or The Bull (Coventry Road) & go swimming in the lido on HOT Summer nights!

I remember a Derek Proctor - think he was a friend of a friend. Also, believe he had a younger sister but can't think of a name to fit. I seem to remember she had thick, dark hair but may be wrong. I lived in Gillscroft Road, Church Lane end.

Does anyone remember the Co-op club at the Glebe on a Tuesday and Friday? I spent many a happy time there.
Lovely photos, thank you
I used to go to the Co-Op youth club from about 1967 - 69. It was run by Gordon Colley & his wife (I can’t remember her name). We had great times there. Also went to the Community Centre discos.

I also went to Our Lady’s from 1962 - 64 when I went to Byng Kenrick. When were you there? My Mom & Dad were married at Corpus Christie in 1947. I remember going to mass there as mas at Our Lady’s was held in Archbishop Williams’s school hall before the church was built. Do you remember Father Dinan & Father O’Connor at Our Lady’s?
Annemt - I was there until 1968 then went to St Paul's so a couple of years behind you. I remember both those priests. Looking back, we were terrified of them. Fr Dinan used to come into class every Monday to check who'd been to mass. After a show of hands he'd pick on individuals with fast fired questions like, "tell me who were the altar boys", "What hymn ended the mass?" trying to catch people out. There was a young priest who came for a couple of years called Fr McFarlane who was lovely. He really wanted to engage with us rather than scare us to death! My mom was in the Catholic Mothers at the school. They were very involved with the new church and I remember going with my mom to the ceremony of, "digging of the sod"; the foundations being laid. Not sure what year that would've been but I too went to A W for mass; did my communion and confirmation there, pre church.

I used to go to the Co-Op youth club from about 1967 - 69. It was run by Gordon Colley & his wife (I can’t remember her name). We had great times there. Also went to the Community Centre discos.
I did too! I was a Pathfinder at around that time. Gordon's wife was formerly Jean Sutton; she had younger twin sisters who also used to come to 'Club'. Did you ever go to Losehill hall in Derbyshire, with the group? It was my first 'holiday' and I absolutely loved it.

Annemt - I was there until 1968 then went to St Paul's so a couple of years behind you. I remember both those priests. Looking back, we were terrified of them. Fr Dinan used to come into class every Monday to check who'd been to mass. After a show of hands he'd pick on individuals with fast fired questions like, "tell me who were the altar boys", "What hymn ended the mass?" trying to catch people out. There was a young priest who came for a couple of years called Fr McFarlane who was lovely. He really wanted to engage with us rather than scare us to death! My mom was in the Catholic Mothers at the school. They were very involved with the new church and I remember going with my mom to the ceremony of, "digging of the sod"; the foundations being laid. Not sure what year that would've been but I too went to A W for mass; did my communion and confirmation there, pre church.
I'd forgotten about Fr McFarlane. He was very nice. Also did my communion & confirmation at AW. Do you remember Delina Lappin? She was at OL about the same time as you. The was also Frankie Lunney, (Martin)? Manning, Gérard Bergin & someone Phipps. Also Mary Reagan whose Mom was scary! I remember her having a go at Mr Murray on day. Some of their older siblings were in my class. Mr Meegan was our teacher & Mr Murray was Head.

I'd forgotten about Fr McFarlane. He was very nice. Also did my communion & confirmation at AW. Do you remember Delina Lappin? She was at OL about the same time as you. The was also Frankie Lunney, (Martin)? Manning, Gérard Bergin & someone Phipps. Also Mary Reagan whose Mom was scary! I remember her having a go at Mr Murray on day. Some of their older siblings were in my class. Mr Meegan was our teacher & Mr Murray was Head.
Yes I remember Delina -very slight and blonde, I think she had an older sister. Don't remember Frankie or Gerard. Martin Manning was in my class as was Mr Murray's son, Dermot. I can't place Mr Meegan but after Murray left, Mr Keegan became the Head and was our teacher. His daughter, Moira was in our class. The Phipps brothers (Gary?) mom was friends with my mom, as was Mrs Reagan - she lived near the Glebe so we often travelled in on the 14 together. Mary had an older brother Micky, who also helped out at the Co-op club. We thought he was gorgeous!

You remember the same people as I do. I couldn't remember whether it was Meegan or Keegan but he did go on to be Head. He had a glass eye and it fell out one day when we were doing sports so we were all scrabbling round to find it! Delina's sister Larraine & I were great friends. She had another 2 sisters & a brother. Gary Phipps had a brother named Stephen who became a proper Mod as he got older. I'd forgotten about Dermot Murray. Mickey Reagan broke a lot of hearts & was always getting into some sort of trouble! (That's why Mrs Reagan had a go at Mr Murray - one of many times.) He worked at Alcan with my Dad for a while. They lived on Swancote Road. Where about did you live & what was your surname? I lived in Betley Grove off Bushbury Road. My Mom worked at the Co-Op greengrocers for a few years. Other names that I remember are Mary & Janet Davies who had an older brother Phillip (?), Susan (Killeen)? Her Mom had a clothes shop called "Susan's" in Lea Village, Bernard O'Brien. I think Glen Nicholls was there about the same time as you. Glen's sister Janette & I are still very good friends. She now lives in Australia.

I did too! I was a Pathfinder at around that time. Gordon's wife was formerly Jean Sutton; she had younger twin sisters who also used to come to 'Club'. Did you ever go to Losehill hall in Derbyshire, with the group? It was my first 'holiday' and I absolutely loved it.
Now you mention it I remember it was Jean. She was a small woman & Gordon was quite big. I didn't go to Losehill. Myself & friends who went to the club were probably in the older group. We enjoyed playing table tennis & dancing to scratchy records played on the old record player. We went to Blackpool a couple of times from there to see the lights. Always had a good time.

You remember the same people as I do. I couldn't remember whether it was Meegan or Keegan but he did go on to be Head. He had a glass eye and it fell out one day when we were doing sports so we were all scrabbling round to find it! Delina's sister Larraine & I were great friends. She had another 2 sisters & a brother. Gary Phipps had a brother named Stephen who became a proper Mod as he got older. I'd forgotten about Dermot Murray. Mickey Reagan broke a lot of hearts & was always getting into some sort of trouble! (That's why Mrs Reagan had a go at Mr Murray - one of many times.) He worked at Alcan with my Dad for a while. They lived on Swancote Road. Where about did you live & what was your surname? I lived in Betley Grove off Bushbury Road. My Mom worked at the Co-Op greengrocers for a few years. Other names that I remember are Mary & Janet Davies who had an older brother Phillip (?), Susan (Killeen)? Her Mom had a clothes shop called "Susan's" in Lea Village, Bernard O'Brien. I think Glen Nicholls was there about the same time as you. Glen's sister Janette & I are still very good friends. She now lives in Australia.
We lived just of Church Lane in Gillscroft Rd. Did Janet Davies have leg braces? The other names don't mean anything to me though. The Nicholls ring a bell - did they live near Crossfield Rd? My friend Marie Deeney lived that way and I think janette might have been a friend of her sister Cathy. Happy days!

We lived just of Church Lane in Gillscroft Rd. Did Janet Davies have leg braces? The other names don't mean anything to me though. The Nicholls ring a bell - did they live near Crossfield Rd? My friend Marie Deeney lived that way and I think janette might have been a friend of her sister Cathy. Happy days!
Yes Janet Davies did have leg braces. The name Deeney rings a bell. Did you live by Diane Walker & Jane (?) & Harry Purton?

Its been great reading all this, I live in Telford these days, I am a Drakeley from 23 The Lea, Kitts Green. Does anyone remember my dads privet hedge? it was a horse and jockey with a few curl after. It came close to causing a few accidents because of drivers looking at it as they passed. I went to Lea Village boys, we used to get out of school and run to Stechford baths (about 1.4 miles) because it was free until 4.30. In those days they had a springboard which was good fun.

Yes Janet Davies did have leg braces. The name Deeney rings a bell. Did you live by Diane Walker & Jane (?) & Harry Purton?
Ha ha Busted! I am Diane Walker! Harry and Jane were my opposite neighbours and we kids & our moms spent lots of time together. Harry was a couple of years older than me and Jane, 4 years younger. So, come on annemt - tell me your name.

Ha ha Busted! I am Diane Walker! Harry and Jane were my opposite neighbours and we kids & our moms spent lots of time together. Harry was a couple of years older than me and Jane, 4 years younger. So, come on annemt - tell me your name.
I knew it! Don’t know if you remember me but I’m Anne Ashby. Our parents were pretty friendly as well. Always knew your Mom as little Winnie Walker. My Mom Annie was only small as well. If I remember rightly, Ann Parsons lived by you as well & Marie O’Connor’s family next to Church Lane clinic. Where are you living now? We’re up in Lancashire. Small world.

Yes, yes and yes! I definitely remember you Anne - your few years older than me made you seem so sophisticated and left me in awe! I remember you ordering a Sam and Dave L.P. from my mom - she worked in a record warehouse at that time! I'd never heard of them of course! Strange what you do remember! I certainly remember your mom and dad (Bill?) too. There was another girl and her mom who used to join us at the bus stop for school and mass - I think she lived by you - her name was Catherine I think - long plaits; she'd been very ill as a young child...
Anne Parsons lived on North Roundhay and, I met her a couple of years back and she still lived on Church Lane.
The Greenfields lived next to the O'Connors. I think Jeanette went to BK - or maybe Martineau...
I am in Sutton Coldfield so not a million miles from where I started. Whereabouts in Lancs are you? Do you ever come back to Brum? The Glebe would, I think, be unrecognisable to you now but the city is fab - not that anyone has seen much of it over the last year! It's so lovely to have had this contact Anne - happy memories!

Yes, yes and yes! I definitely remember you Anne - your few years older than me made you seem so sophisticated and left me in awe! I remember you ordering a Sam and Dave L.P. from my mom - she worked in a record warehouse at that time! I'd never heard of them of course! Strange what you do remember! I certainly remember your mom and dad (Bill?) too. There was another girl and her mom who used to join us at the bus stop for school and mass - I think she lived by you - her name was Catherine I think - long plaits; she'd been very ill as a young child...
Anne Parsons lived on North Roundhay and, I met her a couple of years back and she still lived on Church Lane.
The Greenfields lived next to the O'Connors. I think Jeanette went to BK - or maybe Martineau...
I am in Sutton Coldfield so not a million miles from where I started. Whereabouts in Lancs are you? Do you ever come back to Brum? The Glebe would, I think, be unrecognisable to you now but the city is fab - not that anyone has seen much of it over the last year! It's so lovely to have had this contact Anne - happy memories!
Yes Mom was Annie & Dad Bill. I’ve forgotten your Dad’s name.

You’ve got it right about Sam & Dave. I also had a Tempations LP & a Motown compilation at the same time. They were Christmas presents. Still have them now but they’re awfully scratched - think they got played too much! Have to admit I still love the old Motown etc. they remind me of places like The Mackadown & The Swan.

The last time we were round the Glebe was about 7 years ago just before we moved up here to Aughton (Ormskirk). It was an absolutetip not the place where we grew up. It’s such a shame as there are so many good memories of growing up round The Glebe.

It’d be good to keep in touch if possible. Can we do it through this site or messenger? I’m still finding my way around it!

For now, take care & stay safe.

Yes Mom was Annie & Dad Bill. I’ve forgotten your Dad’s name.

You’ve got it right about Sam & Dave. I also had a Tempations LP & a Motown compilation at the same time. They were Christmas presents. Still have them now but they’re awfully scratched - think they got played too much! Have to admit I still love the old Motown etc. they remind me of places like The Mackadown & The Swan.

The last time we were round the Glebe was about 7 years ago just before we moved up here to Aughton (Ormskirk). It was an absolutetip not the place where we grew up. It’s such a shame as there are so many good memories of growing up round The Glebe.

It’d be good to keep in touch if possible. Can we do it through this site or messenger? I’m still finding my way around it!

For now, take care & stay safe.
Forgot to say you’re right about Catherine but I can’t remember her surname. She lived on Swancote Road by the Reagans.

Back