• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

I watched it in Canada. I did not know that anything on YouTube was unavailable. Something not right here...
Dave A

It is very common. It is usually because different people hold the rights to the material in different countries. Many clips on Utube from the BBC are not viewable normally in America unless some manipulation is done

It is very common. It is usually because different people hold the rights to the material in different countries. Many clips on Utube from the BBC are not viewable normally in America unless some manipulation is done
Agreed...but it was/is available in America. Wasn't it Lloyd that indicated it wasn't available in his country?
Dave A

It is worth looking for a BBC worldwide YouTube stream in your country - there is one for the USA. Otherwise use a VPN and change the location. This was Lloyd's solution. In the UK we can use BBC IPlayer, but you cannot use this outside the UK as you are unable to buy a TV licence. Using a VPN is legal in the UK, but may be prohibited in some jurisdictions. I expect the BBC to be privatised in the coming years.

It is worth looking for a BBC worldwide YouTube stream in your country - there is one for the USA. Otherwise use a VPN and change the location. This was Lloyd's solution. In the UK we can use BBC IPlayer, but you cannot use this outside the UK as you are unable to buy a TV licence. Using a VPN is legal in the UK, but may be prohibited in some jurisdictions. I expect the BBC to be privatised in the coming years.
Yes there are ways around. If BBCis privatized should be a good thing as long as they keep the documentaries and good programming. We have two public stations in Nashville that carry many BBC series so we are able to watch!

Yes there are ways around. If BBCis privatized should be a good thing as long as they keep the documentaries and good programming. We have two public stations in Nashville that carry many BBC series so we are able to watch!
We are able to watch Smithsonian Channel here. Lots of BBC and all Channel 4 programmes are developed by private production companies then commissioned. I expect a Steam Loco channel would do well!

We are able to watch Smithsonian Channel here. Lots of BBC and all Channel 4 programmes are developed by private production companies then commissioned. I expect a Steam Loco channel would do well!
Fingers crossed! Also a lot of BBC, itv series are cofounder by private IS companies

I watched it in Canada. I did not know that anything on YouTube was unavailable. Something not right here...
Dave A
Sometimes things are not available in certain regions, for copyright or even private reasons. I user a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to make it appear that my computer is situated elsewhere in the world, somewhere the page I want to access allows connection. I use the free version of 'ProtonVPN', others are available, some free and some you pay to use. Now, back to railways....

The last word in West Midlands suburban rail travel before the coming of the diesels. In 1954 an hourly push-pull service was introduced between New Street and Sutton Coldfield, soon extended to Four Oaks to satisfy passenger demand.

(1997) A century of railways around Birmingham and the West Midlands : a personal selection. Vol. 2.

5AD5842F-EB36-42A5-B05C-6C32DB17A666.jpeg

Gooogle 3D view today.

0D9BDFD8-14B5-4DB2-9BDB-E4476F733A0A.jpeg

Forlorn "Kings" at Wolverhampton Stafford Road, 20th September 1962. Nearest the camera is 6017 "King Edward IV'. Only four members of the class remained on active service at this time.

(1997) A century of railways around Birmingham and the West Midlands : a personal selection. Vol. 2

D8D24EA6-D821-4198-B0E5-F6AFC9A1E3D7.jpeg

Class - No.2818 - passes through cocks Green & South Yardley. The train is on the northbound fast line and the lamp headcode shows that this is a fitted freight…

(1997) A century of railways around Birmingham and the West Midlands : a personal selection. Vol.2.

B0D6FB23-7C25-4B59-8EF8-1136CA319DDD.jpeg

Today’s Google 3D view looking towards the south.

B941074C-7383-4895-8D51-A2A526B7B772.jpeg

Back