• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

I doubt that the specialized steam trains used in Britain from the 30's could run on logs, even if they could it would be more polluting than coal, anthracite, may be an option but good British coal was the the preferred best, for these beasts. Paul
some did burn anthracite, we walked the tracks collecting it for our homefire in 1950s. it burned hotter,but took a lot of starting

Several years ago i travelled to London Paddington behind an ex GWR 'King' class locomotive
on a charter working.

When we had arrived at our destination a good many folks went to have a closer look at the engine
as you do.

An american couple who were waiting for a train to Oxford came up to me and asked if it was a real
steamer. Yes i said it is, and the gentleman replied gee so that's a real fire in there not a mock up
or anything.

AnnS..

A couple of years ago, my son and I travelled to Altoona PA, to watch a baseball game. I didn't know at the time that Altoona was home to the famous Horseshoe Curve, which we visited. Altoona was also where many steam locos were built. I was thrilled to bits to check out the museum that yielded much info about the steam years and wartime activities. It's an amazing sight to see those long trains navigate the Curve.
Dave A

A couple of years ago, my son and I travelled to Altoona PA, to watch a baseball game. I didn't know at the time that Altoona was home to the famous Horseshoe Curve, which we visited. Altoona was also where many steam locos were built. I was thrilled to bits to check out the museum that yielded much info about the steam years and wartime activities. It's an amazing sight to see those long trains navigate the Curve.
Dave A
Dave, I worked with a fellow for about 20 years whose son loved trains from a very young age. I watched him grow up and get his BSc Mech then go work in Altoona for the "railroad" which was not very glamorous in those days. He has a few years to retire but still loves it!

Dave, I worked with a fellow for about 20 years whose son loved trains from a very young age. I watched him grow up and get his BSc Mech then go work in Altoona for the "railroad" which was not very glamorous in those days. He has a few years to retire but still loves it!
It's still not "glamorous"....I never took much interest in US steam, thought they were ugly boilers on wheels. However, visiting Altoona changed that. There were some pretty decent looking locomotives built there.
Dave A

Attachments

• scan_43.jpg
    scan_43.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 18
Google GWR La France or President for details on the three 4-4-0 French Atlantics, 102 La France, 103 President and 104 Alliance they were bought by Churchward to study the De Glenn compound system.
Bob
Bob, thank you! So VERY interesting reading when you do that.
Quite amazed at the level of cooperation (in a very good way). As a retired engineer I doubt we would see anything like that today.

Thank you again!

Back