• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

Absolutely true badpenny:

Now living in Norfolk I had the pleasure of meeting Alan Bloom, a lovely, and very modest man. Although a very wealthy man, no one would know it.
He would often be seen driving one of his beloved steam engines that would be hauling a trainload of visitors to his Bressingham Estate.

In his overalls, long grey hair, he looked just like 'another employee'

A man sadly missed by many people, including steam locomotive lovers.

Eddie
Alan Bloom was responsible for rescuing 46233 (6233), 46100 (6100) and 70013 and housing them at Bressingham.

All three engines are now certified for main line running and appear out on the network on a regular basis.

Here is a lovely photograph of the great Alan Bloom, driving one of his favourite steam engines, at Bressingham August 1983.

Attachments

• Alan Bloom Bressingham 1983 001.jpg
    Alan Bloom Bressingham 1983 001.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 25
Further to the love video showing the 'run by' of steam engines at Tyseley #111, this is the condition that Earl of Mount Edgcume was in when it arrived at Tyseley.

My photographs are dated August 1983.

Also shown is what was thought to be Hall class loco Albert Hall, but later it was discovered to be Witherslack Hall. Also the condition of Thornbury Castle when it arrived at Tyseley.

The renovation work that is carried out by Tyseley is the best in the business. It is worth pointing out that the wonderful streamlining now adorning Duchess of Hamilton, was also carried out at Tyseley.

Edde

Attachments

• 1. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe 001.jpg
    1. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe 001.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe 001.jpg
    2. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe 001.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Witherslack or Albert Hall 1983 001.jpg
    Witherslack or Albert Hall 1983 001.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 7027 Thornbury Castle August 14th 1983 001.jpg
    7027 Thornbury Castle August 14th 1983 001.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 30
Further to the love video showing the 'run by' of steam engines at Tyseley #111, this is the condition that Earl of Mount Edgcume was in when it arrived at Tyseley.

My photographs are dated August 1983.

Also shown is what was thought to be Hall class loco Albert Hall, but later it was discovered to be Witherslack Hall. Also the condition of Thornbury Castle when it arrived at Tyseley.

The renovation work that is carried out by Tyseley is the best in the business. It is worth pointing out that the wonderful streamlining now adorning Duchess of Hamilton, was also carried out at Tyseley.

Edde
A little story here Eddie...I was returning my rental vehicle at Gatwick airport before returning to Canada and I met a couple of guys just arriving from Canada. Don't recall how we got on the subject, but they were ex pats that as machinists, were spending a couple of months of their retirement working on the refurbishment of steam engines at the Bluebell Railway. This really appealed to me and I told my wife that this is what I wanted to do after retirement. However, the fact that I didn't retire until I was 75+, made that just wishful thinking.
Dave A

46233 was in action today from Glasgow to Oxenholme and 46100 is out and about on Saturday, both involved with a mammoth
countrywide railtour which starts and finishes in Devon and takes folk as far north as the Highlands.

This will be the tenth consecutive year of running this tour 'The Great Britain'.

Still plenty of main line steam workings around if you know when and where.

46233 was in action today from Glasgow to Oxenholme and 46100 is out and about on Saturday, both involved with a mammoth
countrywide railtour which starts and finishes in Devon and takes folk as far north as the Highlands.

This will be the tenth consecutive year of running this tour 'The Great Britain'.

Still plenty of main line steam workings around if you know when and where.
It's great to see such great enthusiasm for steam. The locomotives are great to look at, beautifully engineered. Unlike North American steam loco's that looked like a boiler on wheels and totally without character. This is what is available to me if I want the steam experience. https://www.southsimcoerailway.ca/
Dave A

Tank engine 41312 on the Mid-Hants railway yesterday. The coaches were pulled from Alton to Alresford with the steam engine facing backwards. Just wondered if there are any advantages/disadvantages compared to the engine facing forwards? Dave.

Attachments

• P1020935.JPG
    P1020935.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 23
Not my area of expertise as I am more Carriage Maintenance/Restoration but, with a Tank engine, probably not much, except in terms of a [maximum] speed limit.

As for Tender engines. Definately differences as to maximum speed limts and also visibility, particularly with the larger Merchant Navy class.

Additionally, running 'tender first', in the rain, means the crews get wet. Many [in Preservation] are provided with the fitment for 'rain covers' but, as to how effective these are...................?

Just wondered if there are any advantages/disadvantages compared to the engine facing forwards? Dave.
Not really, the operation of the mechanical units is as good as identical in either direction. Tank engines like this would have quite often operated 'backwards', and the cab is designed to offer as much protection to the crew as going forwards. Tender engines, unless they had 'cabbed tenders', would be operating into the weather if running backwards - not very nice in a heavy downpour! Here is a model of an LMS heavy goods loco with a tender cab:9376-lms-black-with-tender-cab.jpg

How interesting, i don't think i ever saw an engine with a cabbed tender.

The model looks like a G2 locomotive , were there any others with that configuration?

This is a scan from a slide, probably mid 1960s, and with other photos from Devon.

Anyone have any info about train or location?

Untitlednor11.jpg

This is a scan from a slide, probably mid 1960s, and with other photos from Devon.

View attachment 117380

Just guessing, but I would think it is a Southern Region photograph, as opposed to a Western Region scene. Initially thought it may be a re=built Bullied, but maybe a BR build.

I am sure that someone will have the answer.

Eddie

View attachment 117380
The colour of the gentleman's sign would indicate Midland Region, Devon signs were Western Brown or occasionally Southern green. There will be someone on the forum who will be able to classify the engine and then say...they were allocated to the following sheds..... or someone who will know the station that had no buildings on one platform. Could of course be a Somerset and Dorset still carrying London Midland signs although now split between Western and Southern Region after 1947.

Bob

Have got the magnifer out, and the date of the slide is Aug 1967. But not the same date as the Devon pictures.

Sorry it could be anywhere. My aunt who is n0w 89 may not remember where they went!

The colour of the gentleman's sign would indicate Midland Region, Devon signs were Western Brown or occasionally Southern green. There will be someone on the forum who will be able to classify the engine and then say...they were allocated to the following sheds..... or someone who will know the station that had no buildings on one platform. Could of course be a Somerset and Dorset still carrying London Midland signs although now split between Western and Southern Region after 1947.

Bob

Absolutely correct Bob. Red signs......, London Midland Region. I missed that !.

Have looked through about 250 slides and found just one more from Aug 1967. Luckily? it is the preceding one. And would you believe it is the Front at Blackpool!

Have looked through about 250 slides and found just one more from Aug 1967. Luckily? it is the preceding one. And would you believe it is the Front at Blackpool!
This reduces the number of Stations that it could be, as this is after the date of the Beeching cull, however steam locos were also becoming rarer on BR, the last one running in 1968 in regular mainline service. Looking beyond the engine it looks like goods wagons and also the photo is taken from the bottom of the platform ramp, which could suggest a level crossing. Big BR build engines like this usually worked out of the Northern yards, Kingsmoor at Carlisle was a favourite for them..... and when you've guessed the correct location, make sure we have the engine drivers name

Bob

IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2152.jpg IMG_2153.jpg

Starting a search in the archives I came across this from the Illustrated London News of August 1963.

Visited a part of the UK last weekend that I had not been to before. The visit included a ride on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, not far from Leeds, between Keighley and Haworth and back. Pulled on the return by an American steam engine, number 5820 of the United States of America Transportation Corp. There is a link below giving more details of the steam engine, together with two photos that I took. Dave.
https://kwvr.co.uk/steam-train/steam-train-2/
IMG_20170909_142620564_HDR.jpg IMG_20170909_140438011_HDR (2).jpg

Visited a part of the UK last weekend that I had not been to before. The visit included a ride on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, not far from Leeds, between Keighley and Haworth and back. Pulled on the return by an American steam engine, number 5820 of the United States of America Transportation Corp. There is a link below giving more details of the steam engine, together with two photos that I took. Dave.
https://kwvr.co.uk/steam-train/steam-train-2/
View attachment 117819 View attachment 117820
As I wrote in post #128, american steam locomotives look like a boiler on wheels and are ugly!
Dave A

But the working mechanisms of American locomotives are much more easily reached and serviced ask any one who has to crawl beneath and into the workings of former GWR locomotives.
Later next year one of this type of USATC engines should be working on the Paignton to Kingswear (Dartmouth) line.

Last edited:
But the working mechanisms of American locomotives are much more easily reached and serviced ask any one who has to crawl beneath and into the workings of former GWR locomotives.

I can see that...accessibility regardless of appearance, not unlike the North American approach to electric power supply.
Dave A

Sandfields-Pump.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about this item? I have a feeling it maybe to do with steam locomotives. It is in a building owned by John McCleam who also built a lot of railway bridges in and around Birmingham.

hi mort i am not expert but it looks to me as though it should be in a building and nothing to do with steam engines but as i say i am no expert on steam trains...what building is it in ??

lyn

Hi Lyn, yes, but if you look on post #143 there is one just like it on the front of that steam train

Back