• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

Hi John,

We've since exchanged emails about Eddie's sad passing, but I thought I would post an answer to your query for the benefit of other members. From 25 May until yesterday (5 June) Jan & I were away at the other end of Crete visiting UK-based relatives who had rented a large villa. We're now back home, but due to building work scheduled to be completed whilst we were away, it was not and it will be a few days before we are back to normal. Hugely off topic, so my apologies to the mods, though there is the ruin of a loco near the entrance to Heraklion Port that used to operate on the port many many years ago. :)

Maurice

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture, Lloyd, though I have to say it must have been taken a few years ago as it's condition last year had considerably deteriorated and it was covered in "keep off"style warning tape. When I first saw it in 1992, it was in very good condition and it's a great pity that it has not been maintained and protected from vandalism.

Maurice

for a long time i have been trying to find out were the steam engine that was in nechells chemical and gasworks
now have found it,does anyone remember 2081 engine

Attachments

• gasworks.jpg
    gasworks.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Unfortunately - as far as I am concerned - Flying Scotsman has received far too much hype, often at the expense of other worthy locomotives.
I have seen it arrive on a low loader and run on a line in South Devon when it was owned by Sir William McAlpine. But since the NR Museum, the present owners, spent so much money on it and those who want it running in their area or for a main line trip seem to view it solely as a cash cow!

Hate the wind deflectors on FS.Give me TORNADO anytime.Seen it in 2colors Blue & Green.But my favorite A2was BLUE PETER

The problem with (Steam Locos ), in the 21st Century , is that though normal public transport in our day, they are very, very, expensive items to keep and run today, hence (cash cows). Paul

Paul.Saw 44871 black 5 yesterday on a Pullman special ( rare in Kent) Every seat was taken at £275 a go,and the platform at our small country station was packed solid.Wonderful sight for the children as it slowed to take the loop line for Dover.Plenty of puffing of smoke from the chimney

Yes, Edifi, my eldest son lives in Dover, and he told me of the steam trains running, as you say rare in Kent, though what treat for the kids, I remember going with dad to see the FS, New Street I think, but could have been Snow Hill, they picked me up and put me on the foot plate, I was about 7 or 8. Paul

The Birmingham Gazette of 12th May 1926 shows this picture from during the General Strike. I bet the students couldn’t wait to get their hands on an engine!

327AC706-1576-4FF1-98FE-3A2D38E52120.jpeg

Up until I was 14-15 every Sunday was spent at 21a Saltley shed making Cops.What a great time in the 50s especially when there was something from Scotland on shed.9times out of 10 it was a Black 5 that had strayed down here.Then it would be off to 3D Astonand hope there was a Diversion for a Coronation or Duchess or Scot.Great Days when we didn't have Phones or I Pads to peer into.:):)

Up until I was 14-15 every Sunday was spent at 21a Saltley shed making Cops.What a great time in the 50s especially when there was something from Scotland on shed.9times out of 10 it was a Black 5 that had strayed down here.Then it would be off to 3D Astonand hope there was a Diversion for a Coronation or Duchess or Scot.Great Days when we didn't have Phones or I Pads to peer into.:):)
That just about covers my Sunday activity at that age. Did bunk in Aston shed a few times...the highlight "Cop" was Clan Buchanan, I was ecstatic!!
Dave A

adaP2it.When I was 16 me and 2 mates cycled around Scotland for 2 weeks going aroun all the sheds it was great fun.Even got my bike stuck in the Tramlines in Glasgow.But the best was I had my camera with me and took a great photo of Clan Cameron on the Clan Cameron Gathering on Polmadie shed.And I've still got it

adaP2it.When I was 16 me and 2 mates cycled around Scotland for 2 weeks going aroun all the sheds it was great fun.Even got my bike stuck in the Tramlines in Glasgow.But the best was I had my camera with me and took a great photo of Clan Cameron on the Clan Cameron Gathering on Polmadie shed.And I've still got it
So...are you going to post any of them? Did you cycle up to Scotland or put your bikes on a train?
Dave A

We got the overnight Bhamto Glasgow and got of at Carlisle ,then cycled to Glasgow ,Edinburgh,Stirling ,Perth Aberdeen,over the top to Inverness then Avimore down the Pass of Killycrankie to Perth Stirling and back to Glasgowto catch the train home.We stopped in Youth Hostels were you had to cook your own food.first time any of us had done it.The night we stopped in Aberdeen we stayed at a lady's ,her sister worked with my mother at Marsh & Baxters.She had 3 children who all worked in the Fish Docks.We had the Biggest piece of Cod and Chips for tea ,it was brill.Will ask my S/in law to help me put some on.Got lots from that Era

Last edited:
We got the overnight Bhamto Glasgow and got of at Carlisle ,then cycled to Glasgow ,Edinburgh,Stirling ,Perth Aberdeen,over the top to Inverness then Avimore down the Pass of Killycrankie to Perth Stirling and back to Glasgowto catch the train home.We stopped in Youth Hostels were you had to cook your own food.first time any of us had done it.The night we stopped in Aberdeen we stayed at a lady's ,her sister worked with my mother at Marsh & Baxters.She had 3 children who all worked in the Fish Docks.We had the Biggest piece of Cod and Chips for tea ,it was brill.Will ask my S/in law to help me put some on.Got lots from that Era
That's still quite a bit of cycling...but a bike was pretty well essential if you wanted to get around and "do" as many sheds as possible. If I recall...you didn't have to pay for your bike on the train, if there was room in the guards van, you just put it in there, no locks needed in those days, not even when you stopped somewhere to do some spotting.
Dave A

adap2it .it a was great no traffic like today about 70 miles a day and the thought of all those Scottish numbers it was unbelievable.The kids of today don't realise what they have missed

adap2it.cWe did many journeys by train an bike.Up the east coast to Newcastle to Lincolnshire and Norfolk.Only place we never went was S Wales,to hilly.But funnily enough we cycled all the way to N Wales up the A5.At 15-16 years of age it's unbelievable our parents weren't worried for us.But we all survived

adap2it.cWe did many journeys by train an bike.Up the east coast to Newcastle to Lincolnshire and Norfolk.Only place we never went was S Wales,to hilly.But funnily enough we cycled all the way to N Wales up the A5.At 15-16 years of age it's unbelievable our parents weren't worried for us.But we all survived
Of course we only did it because we did not have smart phones or tablets or constant television and our parents thought it was safe for us to be outside in the big world, because the fresh air was good for us etc,etc,etc.......I could go on but it would be cynical and remember the 'snowflake' had not yet been invented and besides and more to the point, the railway engine and trains in general were a fascination and biking was healthy.

Bob

Co-incidentally, I cycled to Rhyl at age 15 too...slept on the side of the road in Shrewsbury, no problem...Horshoe Pass was real hard work! My mates weren't train spotters, but I did manage to do a bit myself at Rhyl Station.
Dave A

Back