• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

Jakie I have been following your thread and looking at St Martins registers The marriage of Thomas Richards and Susan Jordan is listed on Feb 9 1792, sadly its just a list of names no witnesses. I have had a look for Richard although my time has been limited I have not found a baptism. However I may have missed it. Sorry I could not help more.

St Martins Baptism

Hello Wendy

Thankyou so much for taking the time to help.
I was so hoping that the surname re.marriage was Rich. as that would
have fitted bapt. for Wlm + Susanna.

Again, thanks + appreciation

Jackie.

Last edited by a moderator:
:redface: I am trying to find the date of marriage between Henry Jenkins and Mary Ann Lees/ Lee or Leea. I think it might have be at St Martins. The first child I can find of theirs is Mary Ann Jenkins b. 2nd. quarter 1838, so I'm guessing its around that date give or take a year. I have looked on the LDS site. Any pointers most welcome:)

Hello Barney

There is a marriage on the IGI of Henry Jenkins and Mary Ann Lee 24th August 1829 at St Phillips.

Woops....

Thank You Moma P. How did I miss that? :redface:. Looks like it is the right marriage, there must be some children missing. Once again thank you:)

Glad to help, sorry I can't help futher I don't have St Phillips Registers.

For Charlie - Pooltons

I came across this other information the other day while I was on Ancestry, Charlie:

From Ancestry Messageboards : Poolton

Poolton Family Birmingham

nadiab1971 javascript:AjaxToggle('/savefavorit...age_FavoriteLinkAuthor','m_message_alertDiv') (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2006 1:15PM

Classification: Query
Surnames: Poolton/Firkin
Have traced our ancestors back to William Poolton b1762(possibly Sedgley) d1832 buried St Paul's Sq. William was a bronze tea urn manufacturer in B'ham and had business premises in Snow Hill and High St. He also had interest in many property's making up the Colmore estates. Have also traced a John Poolton b1750 d1820 late of Bilston & Handsworth,who was a blank waiter maker ,tin plater and had something to do with the intoduction of japanning. Trying to make the connection...think they may be brothers or cousins. William had children John, Alfred and Ann Stone. John's daughter Emma Poolton b1826 d1903 married Samuel Firkin b1826 (West Brom,a coach screw maker) in 1844 at St Mary's in Handsworth. Emma's siblings included her twin Ann,William,Mary and John. Both William & John Poolton were extremely wealthy for the time. Would love to find out more about the family.

Any info please contact me.

Nadia.

St Martins Parish Records

Hello Harborne, Are you able to do searches on the Parish Records for more recent years? My sister thinks she was baptised at St Martins in 1942 (she was born in June that year). Her name was June Lewis. We would be very interested to know if she was baptised there. Thanks. Eileen

Eileen I'm sorry but the church records don't stretch to 1942. I've had a look just in case, but there's nothing. Perhaps some kind soul on this board could suggest where you should look next; I'm not sure myself. :(

eileen, I would contact the church if they don't have the information they may be able to point you in the right direction.

tysall

wondering if someone could find william tysall son of james tysall and eliza parsons he was born in jan feb march quater session 1861 but this is all i have on him as i cannot locate him in other census he would have been baptizes at st martins birmingham definatley 1861

Hi Colbytaz

Have had a quick look but can't find any trace of him. Are you sure his name wasn't spelt differently?

I can't find William in Birmingham in 1861, but there is a William Tysall, 1 Month, living with parents James and Eliza in Walsall Wood, Staffs. James is a painter and paper hanger, William the only one to be born in Staffs the others all born Birmingham

Hello Trisha, thanks for the PM. Here is what I found on the 1861 census, you will see that William is shown as 1 Month but looking closer at the census I think it reads 1 Year 11 months, also he was born in Birmingham like his parents and brother. .

Name:William TysallAge:1 Mo Estimated Birth Year:abt 1861 Relation:Son Father's Name:James Mother's Name:Eliza Gender:Male Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Civil Parish: Walsall Wood Ecclesiastical parish:St John County Staffordshire Street address:Sheffield Green
Registration district:Walsall Sub-registration district:Aldridge
Household Members:NameAgeEliza Tysall45 James Tysall53 Joseph Tysall13 William Tysall1 Mo

I think that by 1871 both James and Liza may have died because I found on the census living at Sheffield Green Walsall Wood - Joseph aged 23 Miner. Hannah aged 23 Bonnet Maker and living with them William aged 12 Labourer. William is shown as Brother. All born in Birmingham

wonder if someone would be kind enough to look up the marriage of John Taylor born 1798 - his wife is Sophia - their first child was born in 1828. They lived at Cheapside Court St. Martins - so assume that they were married there.
Many thanks,
Sheri

there is a marriage on the igi records of a john taylor to sophia lowe 14th june 1825 at st marys handsworth staffs. handsworth is actually in bham but was classed as staffs in the past.

otherwise someone else may be able to check st martins for you

chris

I am hoping someone would kindly look up a marriage in the St Martin's parish registers?

The marriage I'm looking for is that of William Hughes and Hannah Yarnold which took place on 06 NOV 1865.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi

Hannah is a Widow , her father is Thomas Edwards
Both She and the Groom are living in Bromsgrove St.
Both made their mark.
Groom is a Bachelor and shares same occupation as his Father and Father in law - Nailor
Witness - James & Emma Price

Bo

Thanks so much Bo, that's great info.....

You don't mention though the groom's father's name - is that William too?
Also, am I right to think Bromsgrove St is in B'ham, or doesn't it say?

Hi,

Sorry about missing info.

Yes, Grooms father is William .

Bride and Groom -Full age

Bromgrove St is in Birmingham.

Bo

Thank you Bo

I really appreciate the look-up - thanks a million!!

best wishes
Graham

un sure of church, possibly st martins. wedding bet francis lee[male] and sophia?before 1846. thank you.in nov 1846 they were witnesses at a wedding that took place at st martins.thank you.

i found them under lea

nov 10 1844 francis lea. of full age.bach. blacksmith.meriden street. father john lea nail maker

sophia rogers. of full age. spinster meriden st. father james rogers blacksmith

wit. william and elizabeth simpson.

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone could look up the marriage of John Blackham and Nancy Tonks which was on 6th October 1788 at St. Martins please.
Thank you
Sheri

Back