• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St John’s Chapel Deritend

I suspect that the picture of the old chapel (and the one earlier in this thread) is a crude version of an apparently more skilfull etching, here.

All of them must have been created long after demolition. This can hardly be contemporary. (Tarmac the roadway and you could almost have a bus running down it!) I wonder if there were ever one created whilst it was still standing. Or are all these from imagination?

Chris

(Source: "Men and Names of Old Birmingham" by Toulmin Smith, 1864)

Deritend004.jpg

Demolished in 1947. Too late for John Spilsbury but perhaps worth mentioning that first port of call for [Birmingham] parish records should be the Library of Birmingham [in Birmingham Diocesan Record Office] and yes they do have the records for St Johns. Recent/current records will probably still be at the church concerned; in my experience churches are usually helpful with enquiries but you may need to make a visit.

1691659596686.jpeg

Back