• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

Hi Wales,
Please Could you tell me where I can find the Hospital Street picture that you mention ?

Thanks Maurice.

jules..how lovely and how pleased you must be to have found it....

thanks for sharing it with us...

lyn:)

jules..how lovely and how pleased you must be to have found it....

thanks for sharing it with us...

lyn

Yes thanks Lyn, I am very pleased to have found it. I have found one for my mother as well - at the Aston Villa Weslyan Church. I just thought the St. George's one was nice as it showed a photo of the church. I have been searching through my parent's things and whilst it is hard, finding important family documents like this makes it worthwhile. My husband despairs of me I think, but once these documents are gone you can never get them back. It also helps to keep their memory alive I think. I sometimes wonder if anyone will ever try to find out about me at all in the future. :smile2:

jules i meant to say how lovely it was to see a picture of the church on the certificate.....of course someone will want to find out about you in time....and listen everone in this house despairs of me...lol...but in a nice way (well i think so) and you must put all the information and all the documents you find away in a safe place because one day someone just like you and me will be very glad you did...

lyn:):):)

Hello .. I have traced a family member back to a place called Birmingham St George, I think St George is the parish which would tie into this thread??
His name was William Burbage b1849 .. would there be church records I wonder? .. thanks anyway.

Well, there are 2 St Georges as I'm aware of. The one is a modern church replacing the old one that was off Great Hampton Row, Newtown (this thread) and the other still exists in Edgbaston, off Highfield Rd

Hi
I used to know a Harry Bastable. He was a speedway rider for Cradley Heath. He also ran a sweet shop in New John Street West, just round the corner from Gt King Street Hockley
BobH

I picked up a book on Summer Lane and there were photographs of St. Georges Church in it. I also have another source for a photograph but I need to ask their permission before I post it

This is an etching of St Georges from Dents book Old and New Birmingham.

St_Georges.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
st_georges_church_edit.jpg
Here are two wonderful photo's of St Georges Church. These were sent to me to post from Malcolm Caston at the Pen Room.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderful wendy....the best i have seen yet..as you know our mom and dad were married here in 1950...would you please pass on my thanks to malcolm when you speak to him next....

lyn

Lyn he is a member so you could send him a message. He just had problems downloading them onto the site and asked me if I could do it.

Brilliant photos! Best I have seen. Thank you Wendy and Malcolm :) My grt grandparents married there in 1908.

Kaz

[Mom and Dad's wedding 1954, From left to right. Aunt, Maureen. Shirley Beardshaw, Cousin. Albert Beardshaw. Granddad, George Coley. Aunts, Rita, and Janet Coley. Pageboy.?
picture.php
[/quote]

great pics reg...i think they could be some of the best we have seen of the front of the church....glad to see you can now post yer pics...

lyn

Wendy! got as far as, clicking on, go advanced. but I can't find remove attachment. Sorry! unless I can't see the wood for the trees. Reg.

You have to scroll down and click on attachments then you can remove them.

Great image, one I have not seen before...

Those trees I am pleased to say are still there, gives you an indication as to where the church originally stood, not being a "Tree Man" they are quite impressive trees and I have always wanted to know what type of tree they are.

They look like Plane Trees to me can,t be sure though there use to be a lot of them around the town at one time as they seem to thrive in town centers. Dek

The trees do look like London Plane trees these were planted in most cities as they could cope with the heavy polution and actually clean the air they were often referred as the lungs of the city. There are a lot in Key Hill Cemetery because of the polution from the many chemicals used in the metal trade.:)

1824mapofbirminghamsmall.jpg

Was reading all the interesting information on St. George's, here is a map from 1825 with the church in the centre, explains why it was called St. George's-in-the-Fields. The gardens all around were called 'guinnea gardens' and could be rented.

Back