• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

Very interesting map. It couldn't have been long after this was drawn up that the area around the church was also developed with housing.

Judy

Another lovely photo sent to me by Malcom at the Pen Room.
st_georges_church_001_edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the St Georges Roll of Honour,it shows my great uncle George W Green who was killed in action 13/07/1918.Moss.

hi folks..im stuck...some time ago a member and i cant recall who posted a link for the burials at st georges church...i wonder if anyone can remember where it was posted please...

many thanks...

lyn

is is it possible to retreive and re post the pics of the church that wendy posted on post 110 please...

lyn

Thank you Lyn,Another great picture,it takes me back many years,to when at the age of about 12, i along with about half a dozen other kids was taken to the top of the tower.Climbing up a series of ladders.
No Health and safety,or risk assesments in those days, i am glad to say.Moss

thats a nice pic vic thanks for posting it...

moss you were lucky to have done that climb...such a shame the church is no longer there..

Hi Jules 65
How strange is that, My Mom and Dad got married at St Georges on the 27th October 1945, i wonder what day your parents got married. Your photos are realy nice, only wish i had some of my parents.

regards Stars (Eric)

Hi All
I wonder what date that photo is, my grt Nan and Grandad lived in Unett St, many moons ago.

Stars (Eric)

popped down to see the churchyard yesterday....its very much as it was on my last visit 3 years ago but i was saddened to see a broken up headstone at the foot of thomas rickmans resting place (he was the architect of the church and is buried there)

seems not topsy....this little one just lying flat on the ground by the wall...GH HOLLIS AGED 4 YEARS OLD...:( APRIL1858

most of the saved heastones are along the wall on the left as you walk in through the gt hampton row gate..and looking at the map of the churchyard i have the burials were on the right so no chance of even knowing the exact spots that the departed are resting in...i did take quite a few although not all pics of some headstones so if anyone thinks they may have an ancestor buried here i will go through my pics and look for you...i will be going down again next week so if i can have any names i will take a look..

lyn

Last edited:
original gate entrances...

tower st entrance..

gt hampton row entrance

gt russell st entrance..

Last edited:
just a little bit of info on st georges...the first burial was in dec 1822 and was a mary ann sheldon from camden st...the last burial was in 1916 and was a william potter of wheeler st...

in total there were 5801 burials at st georges...

stars it looks like i was mistaken when i said i thought i had seen a greatrex headstone as ive been down all the names that were buried there and i cant find one...

lyn

Great photo's lyn so sad about the headstones. I will have to take a look myself. Michael is always complaining he says I bother the dead and irritate the living..lol

it is sad wend especially considering how many were buried there and so few headstones remain...they must have got rid of them wholesale when the church was demolished even taking into account that not everyone had a headstone thats still an awful lot missing....do you have any family buried there wend...

lyn

Back