• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi all. would anyone out there have any photos of the old st georges church that was in newtown. my mom and dad got married there in 1949. sadley it was demolished years ago. all thats left is part of the archway and all the old grave stones have been left just resting against the outer walls. cant understand why it was demolished. it was a sturdy church and nothing at all has been done with the ground. mom and dad only live a minute from there and it saddens them every time they walk past what they call "their church" many thanks wales.

Are These They ?

Attachments

• arch.jpg
    arch.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Newtown St Georges Chutch.jpg
    Newtown St Georges Chutch.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi Postie, I went to St Georges J&I school and the main playground ran adjacent to the church I think what you have posted looks far too big, but hey I was only a kid at the time. It was at the top of Upper Tower St, and the corner of a road that ran parallel with Summer Lane, I lived in Ward St at the time so it was a straight walk down from school. I can't think what the name of the rd was that divided the main school from the annex's just across the way! Just two prefabed buildings with their own playground!

Last edited:
My apologies Postie on closer inspection of the thumb nail it looks like it is St Georges, good grief I dont remember it being that big! Amazing how ones brain plays tricks, I think the school was built on the other side of the church.

Me again, it was the corner of Upper Tower St and Great Hampton Row!!!!!!!!!:D I knew I'd get there in the end !!!!!!!!

st georges church

many thanks postie for the photos i will confirm it with mom and dad tomorrow. it certainly looks like the chuch as the railings and original wall have been left intact. wales

stgeorges church

hi wales again. it definately is st georges as i have just read the info written next to the first photo. the archway i refered to in my 1st post is where the architect thomas rickman is buried. what a waste to demolish such a splendid building. if i can get the hang of it i will try to post a pic of my mom and dad outside the church after they got married. thanks again they will love these wales

st georges church

i will be doing some research into the architect of st georges but in the meantime would anyone have any knowledge as to when it was built and when and why it was demolished. it wasnt due to bomb damage as it was still there well after the war ended. wales

Found this on internet.

The original St. George's was consecrated in 1822 and became a parish church in 1830. Despite extensive renovation, dry rot had damaged the building beyond repair and it was demolished in 1960.

The congregation held their services in the old parish hall of St. Edwards church until the new church was completed in 1972.

Attachments

• Hockley St Georges Church drawing.JPG
    Hockley St Georges Church drawing.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Newtown (2).jpg
    Newtown (2).jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 39
st georges church

thanks ever so mike. that explains a lot. i could not see it being demolished without very good reason. shame though. always looking for pictures. wales.

I think these are images of the arch you were on about, all the whole grave stones are set against the outer walls and make very very interesting reading.

Attachments

• newtown st georges thomas rickman tomb.jpg
    newtown st georges thomas rickman tomb.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
  • Hockley St Georges Church Architects tombstone Thomas Rickman.JPG
    Hockley St Georges Church Architects tombstone Thomas Rickman.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 8
st georges chuch

many thanks dibb 44. brillient photos. im taken my lap top down mom and dads tomorrow. the photos you all have kindly put on for me will surely bring a tear to their eyes. they will be happy and sad i would think. many thanks to you all. wales

St Georges Church

Hi Dibb 44. I Was A Year Out As To When Mom And Dad Got Married. It Was 1950 Not 49. Showed Them The Photos This Morning. They Were So Happy To See Them. But Like I Thought They Wished The Old Church Was Still There. They Were Very Interested To Know The History Of The Archictect And Like Me Thought That The Arch Thats In The Middle Of The Churchyard Was A Piece Of The Church. Not As Its Turns Out The Headstone Of The Architect Thomas Rickman. As They Live Only A 1 Min Walk From It They Are Going Round Tomorrow To See If They Can Read The Inscription Although I Dont Think Its Very Visible These Days. Thanks Again To Everyone. Wales

Mike - are you able to date the map that you have posted? My ancestors lived in Upper Tower St for a while.

The book it came from is 1945 edition of Bartholomews atlas and guide Birmingham

Thanks to all who posted photos of St George's I have quite a few rellies who married there! However, how do I snag pics off the site I am a real numpty when it comes to techie stuff !

Kaz
PS I have an apple mac if that helps

Back