• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Hi Peg and Phil
firstlyPeg i liked your photograph of snow hill ,and I know phil you like the snow hill and trains
they say history repeats its self so here we are again, judging by the photographs guys
I am posting down now , which of course is an early photo of snowhill station
Hi, Astonian, great pics - seeing the policemen made me think just how different the approach was to trainspotters adopted by Snow Hill and New Street, as long as you bought a platform ticket (3d) you could virtually live on Snow Hill's platforms whereas New Street was positively hostile - BT police would move you on as soon as they caught sight of you.
Fast-forwarding but staying with the police theme, I had my collar felt at Sutton Coldfield Station - there was a sign Parking for train users only but nobody ever took any notice of it, but on odd occasions the BT police paid a visit, they couldn't know who had parked legit. or not but they had a strategy - they operated as a pair - one by the station entrance where shoppers in the town would use and another in the car park, they each had a walkie-talkie. I'd gone into the town to buy flowers and I was eye-balled on my return by the officer at the entrance who then radioed his colleague in the car-park to watch out for me to see if I would get in a car, I'd just put my key in the door and the officer approached and pointed to the sign, I don't know if I was in the frame for a fine and I wasn't going to take a chance, so thinking on my feet (the bunch of flowers was going to take a bit of explaining) I had a stroke of luck - there had been a dispute and trains times had been knocked sideways - I said I was on railway business as I had called in to check the latest time-table position.
"But you have got a bunch of flowers?" Was his reply.
"I certainly have officer, but my primary objective was to check train times, I took the opportunity to buy these flowers whilst I was parked here."
He gave me the benefit of the doubt, clearly he wasn't going to bother with a marginal when there were plenty of bang to rights!
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
Hi peg
Just logged into the forum and read your thread and i thought it was a great story with a twist in the ending
which turned out rosey for you nice one i say ,
I have down loaded a couple more for you of old snow hill , with its old booking hall
And of the station master wwriting up the late train arrival as per usal;
Just like the old days of performances we used to have endure
Astonian,, Alan,,,

Attachments

• ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 40
  • ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi peg
Just logged into the forum and read your thread and i thought it was a great story with a twist in the ending
which turned out rosey for you nice one i say ,
I have down loaded a couple more for you of old snow hill , with its old booking hall
And of the station master wwriting up the late train arrival as per usal;
Just like the old days of performances we used to have endure
Astonian,, Alan,,,
Thanks Alan, two more great shots. The Station should have been made a listed building, if not the whole station then the hotel & entrance, still could have put a modern station at the back, best of both worlds then - hindsight is an exact science, unfortunately some mistakes can't be put right, couldn't have been for the want of trying, Derek Harrison did his best.
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, A romantic trip down Memory Lane, met my wife at the Top Rank New Years Eve 1969, she worked Saturdays and we met many times at the Kardomah, Gt Western Arcade, where we enjoyed coffee as I looked across at the Snow Hill Station entrance, remembering the countless times my mom, dad and me departed for Weston-Super-Mare, more specifically a caravan at Brean (don't think my parents were aware there were other holiday destinations). Station closed in 1972 and the last time I used it was when Platform 7 (and the others) became a car park.
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Peg
I have enjoyed reading your trip down memory lane very much may i add
its a great litle place we go there qiute often as we have a six berth van there we go twice a year
we go down in the last wek of sept till the first week in october
for the country and western music we go for two weeks
top country and western bands and very well known bands indeed
by the way i have just sorted a couple of photographs i think will hd to your memory lane trip
Of going to snow hill station i hope you will enjoy them abit of nostalga for you

Attachments

• ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 43
  • ScanImage003w.jpg
    ScanImage003w.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ScanImage004.jpg
    ScanImage004.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi Peg
I have enjoyed reading your trip down memory lane very much may i add
its a great litle place we go there qiute often as we have a six berth van there we go twice a year
we go down in the last wek of sept till the first week in october
for the country and western music we go for two weeks
top country and western bands and very well known bands indeed
by the way i have just sorted a couple of photographs i think will hd to your memory lane trip
Of going to snow hill station i hope you will enjoy them abit of nostalga for you

Great shots especially the first, could have been taken from the Kardomah! (Well almost!). I'm pretty sure your van will be far more up-market than my childhood experience - the toilet (defies description) was in a tin shack at the end of the field, almost out of sight!
Ah! Happy days.
Regards,
Peg.
PS Lyn - Great new avatar.

Hi Folks, on my way home from school, if I was fortunate enough to be in funds, I would grab a burger at the Wimpy Bar at the top of Snow Hill before setting up camp for some spotting at Snow Hill Station, pretty cold place in the depths of winter - I'd had enough by 7.00pm and got the second of my buses home.
I've searched high and low for the recipe for those old Wimpys - no luck, recipe for the Holy Grail of burgers continues to elude me.
Regards,
Peg.
Wimpy.jpg

Hi Peg Monkey, I've mentioned somewhere before that my Mom was the managers of the Wimpy Bar in Snow Hill when it originally opened and then moved to do the same when they opened the more up market branch in Broad St.
I don't think I ever went to the Snow Hill one and think I only went to the Broad St. one once or twice though seem to remember the Wimpy Burger being more of a steak taste than the average.
As you very likely know they were named after the character in the Popeye cartoons so may have been an American thing so may be you could get the recipe from Dr. Google!
Cheers Tim

Hi Folks, A romantic trip down Memory Lane, met my wife at the Top Rank New Years Eve 1969, she worked Saturdays and we met many times at the Kardomah, Gt Western Arcade, where we enjoyed coffee as I looked across at the Snow Hill Station entrance, remembering the countless times my mom, dad and me departed for Weston-Super-Mare, more specifically a caravan at Brean (don't think my parents were aware there were other holiday destinations). Station closed in 1972 and the last time I used it was when Platform 7 (and the others) became a car park.
Regards,
Peg.
A forum pic of the Kardomah (only visible if logged in)
index.php

it is in a forum post here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...uring-the-early-1960s.937/page-14#post-583341

Last edited:
The Station history is interesting....and I hope the rumour of some of it coming back into service and connected to New Street comes to fruition...meanwhile....for the record.....

Birmingham Snow Hill
Snow Hill was once the main station of the Great Western Railway in Birmingham, and at its height it rivalled New Street station, with competitive services to destinations including London Paddington, Wolverhampton Low Level and Birkenhead Woodside. The electrification of the main line from London to New Street in the 1960s, saw New Street favoured over Snow Hill, which saw most of its services withdrawn in the late 1960s, leading to the station's eventual closure in 1972. Snow Hill station was revived in the mid-1980s, with a new rebuilt station opening in 1987.

Today, most of the trains using Snow Hill are local services on the Snow Hill Lines operated by London Midland, serving Worcester Shrub Hill, Kidderminster, Stourbridge Junction, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Solihull. The only long distance service into Snow Hill is to London Marylebone operated by Chiltern Railways, via the Chiltern Main Line. Snow Hill is also the terminus of the Midland Metro light rail line from Wolverhampton (via Wednesbury and West Bromwich), pending the line's extension.

The site of the station was formerly occupied by Oppenheims Glassworks. This was demolished, but many parts of the building and machinery are believed to be buried underneath the station and car park, and during recent development work alongside the station the area was designated as a site of archaeological importance by Birmingham City Council. The station was opened in 1852 on the Great Western Railway (GWR) main line from London Paddington to Wolverhampton Low Level and Birkenhead Woodside. Originally called Birmingham Station, its name was changed to Great Charles Street station, and then Livery Street Station. It was finally renamed Snow Hill in 1858, and the Great Western Hotel was added in 1863

It was never intended to be the main station, but political gaming between the railway companies prevented the railway reaching its original intended terminus at Curzon Street. The original station was a simple temporary wooden structure, consisting of a large wooden shed covering the platforms. In 1871 it was rebuilt, and replaced with a permanent structure. The 1871 station had two through platforms, and bay platforms at the Wolverhampton end, covered by an arched roof. Access to the station was from Livery Street from the side. Trains from the south arrived through Snow Hill Tunnel, built by the cut-and-cover method, and in a cutting from Temple Row to Snow Hill. The cutting was roofed over in 1872 and the Great Western Arcade built on top.

To cope with expanding traffic. Snow Hill station was rebuilt again on a much larger scale between 1906 and 1912. The new station building was intended to compete with New Street, which at the time was a much grander building than it is today. The rebuilt station contained lavish facilities, such as a large booking hall with an arched glass roof, and lavish waiting rooms with oak bars. The main platform area was covered by a large glass and steel overall roof. It consisted of two large Island platforms, containing four through platforms, and four bay platforms for terminating trains at the northern end. The through platforms were long enough to accommodate two trains at a time, and scissors crossings allowed trains to pull in front, or out from behind of other trains stood in a platform, effectively creating a 12 platform station. The line north from Snow Hill towards Hockley was quadrupled at the same time, however the cost of widening the twin track Snow Hill tunnel at the southern end was considered prohibitive. There was not enough capacity through the tunnel to accommodate all of the services, and so, as a solution, Birmingham Moor Street was built as an "overflow" station at the opposite end of the tunnel to take terminating local trains towards Leamington Spa and Stratford-upon-Avon.

The Great Western Hotel was closed at the same time (as guests complained of being kept awake by goods trains running underneath) and converted into railway offices, and a passenger entrance was provided on Colmore Row, which became the station's main entrance.

The report by Dr Richard Beeching in 1963 “The Reshaping of British Railways” recommended that Snow Hill Station be closed so in 1967 all long distance traffic through Snow Hill was transferred to New Street and local traffic terminated at Moor Street with the tunnel closing at that time also. Despite public outcry the Great Western Hotel was demolished in 1969 and the station itself in 1977. Booooooo!

And some pics.....

13667824_1551322778509851_985166350977981465_o.jpg17103598_269080333531738_1425235805527053015_n.jpgBirmingham_&_Bordesley_RJD_7.jpgGreat Western arcade Print.jpgSnow Hill station Hotel 1911.jpgSnow Hill trainspotter.jpgSnow Hill tram copy.jpg

Hi, all,

Thanks for the great pictures and memories of Snow Hill Station. I spent many an hour there as a schoolboy in the early 60s collecting train numbers. I remember being allowed in the cabs of Castles and Kings as they stood collecting passengers before departure. Ah, the hissing steam, the smells of oil and sulphur. Wonderful times.

Regards, Ray T.

Dennis. Not sure what you mean about a rumour of some of Snow Hill coming back into use and being connected to New Street. Now that Platform 4 is no longer required for the Metro it will at some time be converted back to use by trains. However there can be no way that Snow Hill can be connected to New Street. The Metro does now go to New Street Station but it bypasses Snow Hill so much that the Snow Hill tram stop has had to be renamed St Chads to prevent confusion.

Alan, The Snow Hill Tunnel in London is on Thameslink from Blackfriars to Farringdon. The northern end of City Thameslink station is on the site of the old Snow Hill Station in London which was renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level in 1912 and closed in 1916.

mossg, #134. I can't remember seeing this one before and the memories came flooding back. Used to get off the 5a there and then walk into town.

Peg, Lyn The Corporation buses were new in 1953/54 which gives you the earliest possible date. Interested to see the Police Box on the left.

preedy's brings back memory's for me,my late mom worked at the branch on Station Street,nipped in to see her a few time.s on some errand or other,one of those almost alladdins cave type's of shop that seemed to hold many secret's to a young lad at the time.

Just noticed the mention of the tunnel. I remember walking through from Moor Street to Snow Hill but can't remember when it was. I remember that there was a huge queue at Moor Street and they were funneling people through so that they would buy things from the stalls. It was taking ages.

Lady P. The tunnel reopened 1987. I remember doing the walk. I also did the walk off the end of the Snow Hill Platform to Handsworth in 1995 when the lines north of Snow Hill were reopened.

The tunnel starts under Moor Street Queensway, and ends somewhere beyond Colmore Row. Obviously if you walked the tunnel now you would be trespassing, so best to ride it on the train.

The view of the tunnel is to the right of the now former Midland Metro platforms.

The tunnel starts under Moor Street Queensway, and ends somewhere beyond Colmore Row. Obviously if you walked the tunnel now you would be trespassing, so best to ride it on the train.

.......or stand a good chance of getting killed! :eek:

Last edited:
I only did it to please my other half as I'm not keen on enclosed spaces. I can't believe that was 20 years ago David, where's all that time gone?

I didn't say that in my original post that you quoted and then edited!

Was on the train through it at lunchtime today and was thinking you must have needed a torch to walk through it. Got new tunnel pics at the Snow Hill end. Will put them here when I can.

I didn't intend to edit it Ell, that's how it worked out. It was supposed to be a separate post. However I have changed it now to how it should have read.

Snow Hill Tunnel today at Birmingham Snow Hill Station.

The footbridge to Colmore Row goes over it.

Last edited:
I didn't intend to edit it Ell, that's how it worked out. It was supposed to be a separate post. However I have changed it now to how it should have read.

Ok thanks for editing. When I first saw it, your post was within the quote.

Of interest, the square in front of the station near Colmore Row is going to get redeveloped.

As it looks now towards Colmore Row and Great Western Arcade.

Back