• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Streets

Does anyone know anything about Watery Lane? My granddad had a bicycle hire shop at 216, corner of Keeley Street and Watery Lane, then years later I was 'lucky' enough to rent 200. This place has a lot of memories for me. Any pictures would be really appreciated. I have a photograph of my granddad on his new Connaught motor bike outside his shop. I'll try to get it on here. Thanks

Hi Jojo, welcome to the site.
There are a few ways of posting a pic, aas a complete technophobe, I use the easy way, if you click on post reply then across the tool bar 3 in from the right is a square icon. Click on this and select from computer (assuming the pic you want to post is on your computer) click select files and browse to find the pic, click open on your folder and ot will transfer into the box on screen, click upload files and there you are done, you can add more then one pic, just select which you want, wait for screen to show them and then click upload files.
Hope that makes sense,
Sue

Best full grandad on motorbike_small.jpgThanks to Sue I am finally able to show you my grandad's photo. He is outside his hire bicycle shop on the corner of Watery Lane and Keeley Street. My dad is in the doorway. This was taken about 1922. I am hoping someone can remember their mom or dad telling them of being chased around the streets by my dad and grandad because they didn't take their bike back after having their pennyworth of cycling. Thanks Sue

My mother lived at 210 Arthur St. back in the 1930's. Has anyone got a map showing where this was, or even photos of that area?

Arthur Street still exists though much changed over the years and runs off Coventry Road just below St Andrews football ground there used to be a bus garage at this junction , sorry I don't have a map but someone will come up with one

Hey dwilly! The motorbike is a Connaughtconnaught-2-759x570.jpgBought for £400 Grandads bike.jpg My brothers were all more interested in the bike than my granddad!

That is a most interesting photo in post 92 also a sad one though as it shows a withdrawn trolleybus (note the blacked out crests and legal lettering) being towed to Bird's scrapyard in Stratford upon Avon. It should be possible to date it accurately too (if I was at home I would look up my books)

Simon

Just got my parents marriage cert. It says my mother was living in Ashley St. Anyone any idea where that is please?

Ashley Street ran from Bristol Street to Gooch Street Balall Heath Highgate way Dave according to Wakelins Street guide

Hi,
My mother used to live in Hawkes St & was married in the United Methodist Church in Muntz St. Can anyone help me find these places please?

Hi handidave
Muntz St is off the Coventry Rd Small Heath. Here are a couple of
photo's that members have posted. There used to be a small bingo hall on the
corner where my mom sometimes went.

img682 coventry rdand muntz st 1971.jpg

SmallHeathGreenlane-MuntzSt1 2.jpg

Regards Stars

Hi,
My mother used to live in Hawkes St & was married in the United Methodist Church in Muntz St. Can anyone help me find these places please?

There was The Small Arms Pub at one end, and The Freeholders pub in the middle(ish) If you have e a mooch on t'interweb I,m certain you'll find photos. Also Butlers factory took up a fair bit of one side of the street.

What years was your mom living there ?

Handidave,

This is the best I can do with photos, one of the Freeholders Arms in Hawkes St, one at the junction of Muntz st showing The Small Arms PH. The final photo shows a glimpse of the Methodist Church on the corner of Wright St and Muntz St.

Attachments

• Small Heath Hawkes St Freeholders Arms.jpg
    Small Heath Hawkes St Freeholders Arms.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Small Heath Muntz St The Small Arms.JPG
    Small Heath Muntz St The Small Arms.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 94
  • Small Heath Muntz St - Wright St.JPG
    Small Heath Muntz St - Wright St.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 89
Somewhere on the internet there is a site with old ATV news film stock, cant for the life of me remember what site it is. But there is an early 60s clip re a strike at Butlers, with film footage of Hawkes St. Teres no sound, but the pics were interesting.

Somebody on here is bound to know what I,m wafflig about.

Back