• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Streets

Thanks for the photo, you are right, if the trams were not there, you would be looking at our house. I would guess that the trams were for the people at the football match. Thanks again!

Hello - I find this very interesting as my family lived at 4/35 St Andrews Road; I remember a family called the Millers living at No 5 as us lot at No 4 used to play with the Miller kids in the communal back yard - we left the area in 1973; people were being moved out due to plans to demolish - happy memories of St Andrews Road. I know I haven't given you any information but just wanted to share in the nonstalgia - new to this site ! :)

Hi does anyone remember the old houses that stood on Bordesley Park Road from the corner of Coventry Road where the old lodge stood, having a camera then was a luxury I would loved to have photographed it all.

I'm searching for pictures of roads and places in the Small Heath area of Birmingham. Any pics from 1960 onwards.

Namely: Bordesley Park Road, Coventry Road from the bus depot downwards. Any pictures of Coventry road past the bus depot towards Small Heath Park. Saint Andrews Road & school . Any shots of the side roads on all these routes.

Places: Kingston picture house, Kingston Road park. The old car park opposite the Kingston picture house and surrounding area's. Small Heath Park. Saint michaels School, Saint Annes School, Upper and Lower Trinity Street.
The bakery at the back of Saint Michaels School.

Post 1960s might be harder to find, but if you just search small heath on ebay there are always a few old photos and postcards that you can save copies of.

Hi fatfingers

Many thanks for your help and advice....I will certainly give both avanue's a shot.

redken

Hi Redkin
Here is a picture of The Horse & Jockey Bordesley Park Road taken in about 1978, I lived in Small Heath in the late 70s and it was my local. I think it was demolished when the Small Heath bypass was built. I hope this helps.
Regards Dakers.

hj1.jpgView attachment 66485

Last edited:
hi dakers.
many thanks for the pic...this one i have seen already...but its a great shot and many thanks for it...im desperate to find shots of kingston hill park...on that hill was a paper shop called shuts...i used to be a paper boy then...so shots of that if possible...also saint andrews road from shuts looking towards saint andrews school...i had a great m8 i played footie with for years who lived on that road...and i know im a pest with my begging bowl...but do you remember the kingston cafe and record shop that was opposite the bus garage on coventry road....if i knew what the right avenues to look at were, i would search.
many many thanks anyway for the pic...ur a gem
regards
redken

The Sunday School was located in St Andrews Street opposite St Andrews Church, i lived at No1 Church Terrace situated the back of Church Grove off St Andrews Road and i also went to Ada Road Jr & Infants and then onto St Andrews Secondry School, the Streets/Roads around the Blues ground were Cattel Road, Tilton Road, West Holme, St Andrews Street, Ada Road, Emmerline Street, Roberts Street, Mona Road & St Andrews Road, top end of St Andrews Road there was 2 shops, Keegans & Maggie Molds on the corner of Mona Road & St Andrews Road, this may help.

Picking up on this theme again I wonder if anyone remembers what the bcfc old ground looked like .
Does anyone remember Emerline street thats where the Saint Andrews club was.. close by it was the railway bridge also it shared above the old Foster Brothers shop on Coventry Road where supporters could join.
Around Great Bar Street opposite Cannings thare were lots of businesses florishing back then also...the 96 and 97 bus drove along this route.
There was a pub nearby and it was nick named Mad Franks.
I wonder if anyone remembers these places and maybe has pictures or knows where I may find them.

with thanks
redken

Redken have you browsed the old threads.Try Watery Lane ,Garrison Lane,Small Heath, Bordesley there are more, just type a name into the search box I know we have many photos of the area you want on this forum. Dek

I would recommend anyone to visit Small Heath Pro boards...lots of pictures there to stimulate your memories.
redken

Here is Kingston Hill Park, Redken. I know the photo is not new to BHF, but it would be challenging to find the thread it came from so many moons ago.

Hi all, I am trying to look at some of the attached pictures but cannot seem to access them for some reason, any suggestions?? I lived at 58 Arthur Street and went to Regents Park in the late 70s and then onto Muntz Street and i think the old school was Tilton?? (not 100% on that bit) before i shifted to Yorkshire, was gutted at the time with leaving mates and also getting through the trials for the Birmingham Boys football team too. I want to take a look at some of the old pics so any help is appreciated.
All the best... Mike

Hi Mike - Virtually all photos posted on the site were lost a few weeks ago following a Cyber Attack. Members are reposting as and when they can or when a specific request is received. Sadly some posters are no longer with us so some images may not be available for reposting.

We are hard at it as we speak Mike - My scanner here is red hot.

Hello, Having been born in Baker Street [off Muntz Street] in 1946, and now living in Worcester, I have now reached the age of 65, and am fairly desperate to find a picture of Baker Street, B'ham 10.
If anyone has a picture I would be so grateful.

Many thanks.

Arthur St 1920s in the background on the wall is a memorial to the locals who lost their life in the Great War.
Image343.jpg

mikejee, it says 1910, well it does now I have changed it. Thanks for letting me know Mike.

IMGP0430.jpg
I hope this may be of interest to some forum members and that it is on the right thread.

Re-post due to site hacked some time ago.
I cannot find a specific thread on Watery Lane Small Heath...I hope this Small Heath Streets location is ok.
Picture number 1.
Watery Lane looking towards Kingston Road and the Barrel Inn.
Dated 1970's.119.jpg

Picture number 2.
Watery Lane looking towards Garrison Lane park.
The street on the right took you to the back end of Kingston Road park,'Keeley Street' remember the concreat steps leading into the park?
Can anyone remember the name of the pub on the right.
Picture courtesy of a link from : Small Heath pro boards.looking towards lawley st watery lane s station.jpgDated 1970's.

A few hours ago I read a message from Terry who asked for the names of anyone who was living in Greenway Street the year before WWI. I have not been able to find Terry since (I am a newbie) but perhaps he will find this. My Ggrandparents, Charles Horace and Emma Nichols, were living in 3Ho 9Ct in 1913. I hope this helps.

I am trying to find a picture of Greenway Street before it was pulled down and would be most grateful if anyone could provide a picture of it.

Regards.

There are 3 more pics on another site that I can't get to upload will post link this is the link

greenway st up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S.H.1958.jpeg 1958.
Tennyson Road overlooking the pool in Small Heath Park.

Back