• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shoes

We had wooden shoe stretchers. There are cheaper aluminum versions. A stout pair of brogues for school use and others for 'best' always needed to be treated otherwise you were in discomfort. Not good when trying to pay attention to lectures or whatever.
Brogues were ideal for schoolboys or those whose work tended to cause scuffs to toe caps. :laughing:
Most shoes at the time were leather and often dubbin softened them adequately.

You could also take them to a shoe repairers for stretching. Think they’d keep them for a few days. So effectively they probably just used the stretchers Alan mentioned in #121.

Viv.

I found a can of shoe stretching spray in a cupboard the other day. These days, breaking in doesn't seem so much of a thing, but I have got a pair that need it, which is really annoying!

I've read that women often prefer the style of shoe that their grandmothers wore, rather than the style their mothers used to wear.

My cousin, who was a traditional cobbler, once had the job of putting a squeak into some boots. As I remember It involved taking them apart and then putting bits of different leathers into them. It was for Sir Lawrence Olivier in "Uncle Vanya" at the Chichester Festival Theatre, and usually the actor would use a "Sueaker" in his pocket, but they wanted to do it more baturally

It is a humorous moment, in a quiet church, when someone enters who has sqeeky shoes. Yes even modern plastic ones can be noisy - usually the soles, rather than the shoe body. They resort to tiptoeing but that rarely hides the noise and often draws attention with their unusual gait. :)
All of which reminds me of the soft shoe shuffle. Lady tap dancers will recall this.

I found a can of shoe stretching spray in a cupboard the other day. These days, breaking in doesn't seem so much of a thing, but I have got a pair that need it, which is really annoying!

I've read that women often prefer the style of shoe that their grandmothers wore, rather than the style their mothers used to wear.
Not in my case Maria, my lovely Gran always wore brougues, whilst my Mom favoured lovely court shoes!

My 2xgreat grandfather was a shoemaker, apparently my great grandmother used to put a potato in a tight shoe for a few days!!
I always use surgical spirit in a spray bottle....very carefully!!!
rosie.

All these shoe stretching ideas took me back a few years. However, one thing I did discover is that if you put your new shoes on with thick socks and then warm the shoes with a hairdryer for a few minutes (don't scorch them) and them walk about this stretches them quite gently. It does work as I have a 'bump' on my left instep where I broke my foot and boots are always a bit of a problem.

All these shoe stretching ideas took me back a few years. However, one thing I did discover is that if you put your new shoes on with thick socks and then warm the shoes with a hairdryer for a few minutes (don't scorch them) and them walk about this stretches them quite gently. It does work as I have a 'bump' on my left instep where I broke my foot and boots are always a bit of a problem.
i find that hairdryer or leaving them on the radiator to warm before a walk in them works for me too LP:grinning:

How to Soak New Boots in Water

Sometimes you find the perfect pair of boots. Unfortunately, you may find that when you wear your new boots for the first time that they are stiff, uncomfortable and leave painful blisters on your feet. Rather than continue to wear the new boots to break them in (resulting in more blisters) try soaking them in water. However, not all boots should be soaked in water. Check with the manufacturer before proceeding.

Remove the laces of your boots if there are any, and check for cardboard or tissue inserts.

Turn your shower on and step into it once it has reached your desired temperature. You are going to be standing in the shower for awhile, so make sure you are comfortable.
Stand under the stream of water, allowing the boots--with your feet still in them--to fill with water. Stay in the shower for ten to fifteen minutes. Get dressed as you normally would.

Wear your wet boots until the water runs out, or until they are dry. Once your boots have dried, they will be softer and fit your feet better.
:grinning::grinning:

Nobody obviously stretches their shoes the way the footballers of the forties and fifties did, those old leather football boots. I was assured by my Dad (who knew everything about the world), that that was the way that Callaghan and Cummings and Dorsett and Starling et al, got their new boots to fit and I have always believed it to be so.

Bob

How to Soak New Boots in Water

Sometimes you find the perfect pair of boots. Unfortunately, you may find that when you wear your new boots for the first time that they are stiff, uncomfortable and leave painful blisters on your feet. Rather than continue to wear the new boots to break them in (resulting in more blisters) try soaking them in water. However, not all boots should be soaked in water. Check with the manufacturer before proceeding.

Remove the laces of your boots if there are any, and check for cardboard or tissue inserts.

Turn your shower on and step into it once it has reached your desired temperature. You are going to be standing in the shower for awhile, so make sure you are comfortable.
Stand under the stream of water, allowing the boots--with your feet still in them--to fill with water. Stay in the shower for ten to fifteen minutes. Get dressed as you normally would.

Wear your wet boots until the water runs out, or until they are dry. Once your boots have dried, they will be softer and fit your feet better.
:grinning::grinning:
In the "Old Army", (Boer War, WW1), to break in new boots, men were advised to do a wee wee in said boots and leave them overnight. In my experience, wearing boots in the Troop showers was far too risky, so we used to walk through wet grass for half an hour or so, until they were soaked, then continue to wear them around camp for a day or two until they dried out. Once dry, brush in loads of polish to soften them. That applies to Boots, Ammunition/Boots, DMS.
Sah !

In the "Old Army", (Boer War, WW1), to break in new boots, men were advised to do a wee wee in said boots and leave them overnight. In my experience, wearing boots in the Troop showers was far too risky, so we used to walk through wet grass for half an hour or so, until they were soaked, then continue to wear them around camp for a day or two until they dried out. Once dry, brush in loads of polish to soften them. That applies to Boots, Ammunition/Boots, DMS.
Sah !
my dog did that for me.when he was young.:mad:they were nice soft and smelly

Last edited:
Bernie you are good on these fishy ones!.
1955lennardshoes_small.jpg
Typical fifties shoes.

Oh love them! I often think I was born in the wrong decade as I loved the pencil skirts, stockings, and very high heeled stilettos. I found some like that at the back of my mom's wardrobe when I was 13 and a mod and used to wear them most evenings, or if I knew I was going to do a lot of walking and not posing, my trusty black loafers with tassels on them.

I too, had the Clarke's shoes and Jesus sandals as a child, I remember desperately wanting some Scolls clogs like my mom wore for work and Being told I was too young.

During my teens and twenties, I wore flat shoes for school and college I had some gorgeous burgundy lace up leather shoes from Freeman, Hardy and Willis, which was where I went with mom for the annual yearly argument about school shoes, I think she was quite glad when flat lace up shoes became fashionable at my school!

out of school I would wear high heels, especially once I started college and was beginning to go to pubs, the higher the better as I'm not very tall. I had a gorgeous pair of flat black leather biker type boots from Oasis when I was at college which looked great with jeans.

Now, because of back and knee problems, I wear flat shoes and boots.

Would never have thought it possible in shoes like those Jean! Walking - yes, just about - but jiving well, I have great admiration.

For ladies who 'appreciate dainty things' you might like a pair of these kid leather booties from this 1909 advert of the Public Benefit Boot Company Ltd. Been browsing around this afternoon to find early shoe shops. This was the earliest advert I could find, although I doubt it was a shoe shop as we know it. I expect they were usually boot and shoe makers like this one; Newmans, corner of Butlin Street and Long Acre, Nechells in 1914. Viv.

View attachment 85166

View attachment 85167

Seeing those boots reminds me I had a pair of boots almost exactly the same around 1994, with laces and even the heel was similar, I'm pretty sure the ladies of 1914 wouldn't have worn their boots with black leggings though

You don't feel good with bunions . I know my mother always said hers were due to the shoes she used to wear

Oh love them! I often think I was born in the wrong decade as I loved the pencil skirts, stockings, and very high heeled stilettos. I found some like that at the back of my mom's wardrobe when I was 13 and a mod and used to wear them most evenings, or if I knew I was going to do a lot of walking and not posing, my trusty black loafers with tassels on them.

I too, had the Clarke's shoes and Jesus sandals as a child, I remember desperately wanting some Scolls clogs like my mom wore for work and Being told I was too young.

During my teens and twenties, I wore flat shoes for school and college I had some gorgeous burgundy lace up leather shoes from Freeman, Hardy and Willis, which was where I went with mom for the annual yearly argument about school shoes, I think she was quite glad when flat lace up shoes became fashionable at my school!

out of school I would wear high heels, especially once I started college and was beginning to go to pubs, the higher the better as I'm not very tall. I had a gorgeous pair of flat black leather biker type boots from Oasis when I was at college which looked great with jeans.

Now, because of back and knee problems, I wear flat shoes and boots.

I too was a Mod and my fave pair of shoes were black patent with pointed toes...poor feet!! Mind you I found out recently very flat shoes aren't good for your back, you're actually better with a small heel! :)

I had some lovely soft pale suede boots, the only reason I could afford them was because they had been on show and they were slightly different colours! There was a stall on Smethwick Market for "seconds" and sample shoes, they were quite cheap too.
rosie,
I had loads and loads of shoes from the shoe stall in Cape Hill market, especially high heels. They were really reasonably priced and you could always find something unusual or very fashionable. When I started my 5th year at school, we changed the colour of our uniforms to navy blue skirts and jumpers or cardigans and white or pink blouses, I found the most gorgeous pair of pink shoes with about a inch heel that I occasionally wore to school with cream tights.

I don't wear completely flat shoes, because as you say Lynne and Maria, they are not good for your back either and having very high arched feet means they become uncomfortable very quickly. I normally wear about 1/2 to 1" heel as that is most comfortable .

I had loads and loads of shoes from the shoe stall in Cape Hill market, especially high heels. They were really reasonably priced and you could always find something unusual or very fashionable. When I started my 5th year at school, we changed the colour of our uniforms to navy blue skirts and jumpers or cardigans and white or pink blouses, I found the most gorgeous pair of pink shoes with about a inch heel that I occasionally wore to school with cream tights.

I don't wear completely flat shoes, because as you say Lynne and Maria, they are not good for your back either and having very high arched feet means they become uncomfortable very quickly. I normally wear about 1/2 to 1" heel as that is most comfortable .
Hi SmethwickGirl, I do like the sound of your pink school shoes! Unfortunately I went to a strict Grammar School and it was black shoes or black shoes! We couldn't even wear tights until we were starting 4th year...age 14...knee high socks were derigeur until then!
Lynn.

I’ve only just seen this thread, and I was intrigued to see a photo of the Timpsons Soho road branch. My father was a Timpsons manager for many years, and Soho road was his last shop before he was forced to retire in 1965 due to poor health. He worked for Timpsons from leaving school to the age of 47 (with a 6 year break due to the war), and he loved his job. Timpsons was (and still is) a family run firm, but came out of shoe retailing some years ago. At their peak they had their own factories in Manchester and Northampton.

Shoes today, are of course, all made overseas, and while often well constructed, have very inconsistent sizing, even those from the same brand. I can remember seeing my dad measuring feet, and this was always done if requested. I can’t remember seeing any x-ray machines though!

I’ve only just seen this thread, and I was intrigued to see a photo of the Timpsons Soho road branch. My father was a Timpsons manager for many years, and Soho road was his last shop before he was forced to retire in 1965 due to poor health. He worked for Timpsons from leaving school to the age of 47 (with a 6 year break due to the war), and he loved his job. Timpsons was (and still is) a family run firm, but came out of shoe retailing some years ago. At their peak they had their own factories in Manchester and Northampton.

Shoes today, are of course, all made overseas, and while often well constructed, have very inconsistent sizing, even those from the same brand. I can remember seeing my dad measuring feet, and this was always done if requested. I can’t remember seeing any x-ray machines though!
Enel, your comment on sizing is right on point. I always wore dress shoes to work after my apprenticeship and found regardless of the brand the only size is the one that fits! You had better try both shoes on before you buy!

I think it's about time I stuck my oar in now , in the the early seventies once you'd walked across the bridge on the Smallbrook Ringway toward the indoor market . Individual empty shop units were there , one of which was a shoe retailer as such . The shoes they sold were imperfect ie, stitching not up to par etc , I bought a couple of pair of boots from there both having a stacked heel (cuban heel) the leather was of various colours . If I didn't like the colour I dyed them black, no one was the wiser

Back