• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Science Museum Newhall Street

I’ve now merged two threads about the Science Museum, Newhall Street. There may be earlier posts which members may not have seen before. Viv.

Hi Viv,

That's made me very sad seeing that video. I spent a lot of time in there in the early 60's,
and it was a wonderful place to spend a lunch hour, as I only worked just up the street.
I also knew the curator at that time, Mr Norman W. Bertenshaw, who used to visit our office.

Kind regards
Dave

Agree Dave. A terrible shame it was closed and everything split up. Earlier in this thread it talks about how there had been hopes of developing the canal beside it as part of the museum. An opportunity lost; loved by many, great location and such potential. It was also said earlier in this thread that it was regarded as the poor relation, so funding passed it by. A great pity.

Viv.

Some reminders of the museum remain.First two images from Streetview.
A0D3CDE0-9EDB-4EFD-BDEF-7BAE212CCF77.jpeg
52569315-935B-4D0C-84B0-ED297E11E7A2.jpeg

The buildings from which these screenshots were taken in the film have gone, but the views of the canal which passed underneath can still be seen.

0F84507A-15AF-4598-AE6F-2684EDECE3A1.jpeg
CE160CA1-E151-4480-B627-041FC55F6249.jpeg
0AC102DB-8324-4A96-9EB8-D1B9EA986671.jpeg

And from Streetview
3C73D7C2-CA51-47AA-A64A-5F05E7915C53.jpeg

Certainly was a clever move by Elkington to locate the factory literally on top of the canal. Viv.

Wikipedia for the lighthouse at the Lizard in 1874....“At the same time a pair of medium-sized (third-order) fixed catadioptric optics were installed, one on each tower, designed by John Hopkinson of Chance Brothers.”

For extensive PDF on the lighthouse work of James Chance see....
Pedro, very good reading about the Chance Family and John Hopkinson. My background is in Electrical Mechanical & Industrial Engineering and studying the I R, I have never been aware of the work developing 3 phase electricity. The focus has always been on Edison and Tesla, rightfully so but it was Hopkinson who took it to the user level, we should be thankful for his work!
Thank you for sharing!

Some reminders of the museum remain.First two images from Streetview.
View attachment 150924
View attachment 150929

The buildings from which these screenshots were taken in the film have gone, but the views of the canal which passed underneath can still be seen.

View attachment 150925
View attachment 150926
View attachment 150927

And from Streetview
View attachment 150928

Certainly was a clever move by Elkington to locate the factory literally on top of the canal. Viv.
Viv, Oh how I wish I could re play all those memories that these photos have brought flooding back!

Buttons in museums - always winners. No child can resist can they ? Nor adults ! I think it’s all a bit too high tech these days with touchscreen technology. Nothing like feeling the mechanics of the thing whirring into action. Viv.

Were you the block who chased me then Pete? o_O

PS the relays were a small exchange by the side of the Fox and geese game. Both fascinated me, all that clicking and worrrring. I played that fox and gees machine a few times. There was also the DC motor demonstration too. Lot of buttons there.

Were you the block who chased me then Pete? o_O

PS the relays were a small exchange by the side of the Fox and geese game. Both fascinated me, all that clicking and worrrring. I played that fox and gees machine a few times. There was also the DC motor demonstration too. Lot of buttons there.
prob mort.:grinning:

smashing photos mark...loved going to the old science museum...dont think the new building one will hold much appeal to me

cheers

Great photos. Would BOA 242 have been a police car (pic #5 in post #227) - lots of headlamps ? Viv

I do have some of the tram in the old museum, but have not scanned them yet. Think I have some of the old aircraft hall as well. I'll check!
Oddly, the tram is about the only exhibit that is better seen in Thinktank as you can now see it from all 4 sides. Pity about the rest of the exhibits though..........

Back