• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just taking 2 of my grandchildren to school, a bus came along the road toward's us, and into my head popped billy bus, was this common in Brum?, just a children,s thing, or just peculiar to my family and younger sibling,s.

No Old Joe, but I remember watching the puffer trains. Got ridiculed in school for that. A carry lorry was a car transporter.... A devil digger. We called buses buzziz...... The airodrome.

And 'out like a light,' to Brummie Dude. Or ar could sleep stondin up lark an oss.
male pigs were Jacky pigs. Freisians were Domino cows.The flims, the pictures.

I used to play in the jitty. Gandparents' toilet paper was bum fodder hung on a nail in the tilsyetty. Spare rib chops were sparrak chops. Played marlies. Dad had an umbergamp, and great gran said I wore trouserbags. I liked taffie in a tray.

I know the bum fodder one!
My Nan used to refer to the toilet as the 'la pom' sometimes - I've no idea where that comes from, I see it's a recognised cross bred dog now and of course La pomme is french for apple.

Snot rag definitely, still is my goto expression, although my lovely wife is not too happy with it even after all these years. On a different subject completely, girls were never wenches (a bit derogatory for an older woman in my day). On the other hand they were often called bints (sort of affectionate), but never to their faces. Cheers, Andrew.

Snot rag definitely, still is my goto expression, although my lovely wife is not too happy with it even after all these years. On a different subject completely, girls were never wenches (a bit derogatory for an older woman in my day). On the other hand they were often called bints (sort of affectionate), but never to their faces. Cheers, Andrew.
wenches was not nice to call girls Eventually it came to mean prostitute. If you find wench in a love poem from the 16th century, think of it as an informal version of maiden. But if someone called you a wench last week, you should be insulted.

Certainly I would be !!
I used to call my cousin and my Brummie friend mo wench, they were, are not insulted. Grandad called mum mo wench. Nan just said wench. A term of endearment.
If a child was a bit of a namby pamby my mum would say he was mammy licked.

How's yer father off for soap?
A little bit of how's yer father.
Yer daddy's mutherrr! (sang)
Sing sing, what shall we sing, grandmother's britches tied up with string
My Fat auntie (fiancé)
Yow'm like a monkey's uncle
yow've got it all @rse backuds, (me dressing myself.)
yow'm like a moanin' minnie from Tip'n (Tipton) run.
I heard as rich as creases for the first time yesterday.
That creased me up (made me laugh)

It is funny what we hear. It is sometimes very different when seen written down.
That last saying is actually "as rich as Croesus ". Which you wouldn't know from hearing it said.
Croesus was an ancient King (born several hundred years BC) who was noted for his wealth.
Have to say I think rich as creases is better - since most of us get more creases as we get older. Does that make us richer?

richer in wisdom I think

I look like the wreck of the Vesporous (I think that was the wrong name but that's what Nan said)
or something the cat's dragged in.
Pulled through an 'edge backuds
Or the wild 'ooman o' Borneo

How’s your belly off for spots!’

If one of the soldiers heard someone lurking in the bush, he would challenge with the phrase 'Legs All Hairy'. If the response was 'Hows Your Belly Off For Spots?" it would indicate a friend. Otherwise they discharged their weapon in the general vicinity of the noise, or 'legged it' back to camp, or both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back