• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

As is usual these days, I had forgotten to do something usually done by habit. I then use an expression I havn't heard or used for many years. I called myself a " Barm pot" [don't know if that's the way to spell it]. It was an expression we used to use often when you did something silly. Wonder where it came from ??

Anyone watching Last Of The Summer Wine would get the impression of Yorkshire as it is frequently used in the scripts.

Barm
1. the yeasty froth on fermenting malt liquors
2. an archaic or dialect word for yeast
Collins English Dictionary. It is an ancient word. Old English bearm; related to beran to bear, Old Norse barmr barm, Gothic barms, Old High German barm see ferment..
Tipsy, barmy, air-head? silly... Literally a pot full of yeasty froth. Mom, born Ladywood with links to Tipton used to call me a barm pot if I did something foolish. As a term of affection.

Barm
1. the yeasty froth on fermenting malt liquors
2. an archaic or dialect word for yeast
Collins English Dictionary. It is an ancient word. Old English bearm; related to beran to bear, Old Norse barmr barm, Gothic barms, Old High German barm see ferment..
Tipsy, barmy, air-head? silly... Literally a pot full of yeasty froth. Mom, born Ladywood with links to Tipton used to call me a barm pot if I did something foolish. As a term of affection.
The term "barm pot" was used in our family often as well, had relly's from Yorkshire and the Black Country

My grandmother (born 1873) also called the dustbin the 'miskin tin', and she said the term was old as the hills then. I've always wondered where the word originated.

The other name for a dustbin was the 'pig-bin', at least up our end.

Big Gee
I’m 71 and remember the term pig bin and it was just that as it was collected by the pig farmers to feed the pigs,so it was not regular dustbin.TMX

I’m 71 and remember the term pig bin and it was just that as it was collected by the pig farmers to feed the pigs,so it was not regular dustbin.TMX
I'm 80 and I well remember the pig bins, they used to be right alongside the dust bins. In many cases they looked like a regular dust bin. Although the only thing I really remember about them was the smell!

I remember as a child if you fell over you would " SCRAGE" (graze) your knee and you went into the house crying and my nan used to say "GO SUCK YOUR ORANGE" not sure if that was a saying or it was something she made up, has anyone else heard of it.
The version we used was "go suck a lemon."

I certainly remember my Nan using the word scrage if you'd cut yourself but I haven't heard the orange one before.

my mom said it often and she was an out and out brummie with no yorkshire connections so i guess she just heard the saying

lyn
Yes it must be a brummie saying as my nan was born in Aston in about 1880 living in Oxygen Street then the family moved to Folliot Road Lea Hall for the rest of her life and as far as i know didnt live anywhere else.

Scrage is still used in the Midlands I think. Looked in the Oxford English Dictionary and was surprised:
OED's earliest evidence for scrage is from 1841, in Bristol Mercury. But people might well have used it in speech before then. A blend of scratch and graze. Scraze is given as an alternative. As a verb this is older: OED's only evidence for scraze is from 1703, in the writing of John Evelyn, diarist and writer.

Back