• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

As a kid I remember Uncles in the family when referring to their parents as "The old man" or "The old lady"
although it was always Mom & Dad to their faces. I don't remember my Aunts using these terms either.

Someone tried 'left handed screwdriver' on me. I am left handed, so that fell flat, they are all left handed to me.

I have heard several times a hammer referred to as a 'Birmingham screwdriver'.

On left handedness, southpaw is common, cuddy-whifter from a very northern colleague caught me out, and for some reason a Spanish nurse over here in France (doing covid vacs) was creased up by cack-handed. He asked which arm to prod, and Julie used that term about me. He had to write it down, probably to impress his next English client.

How about 'as much use as a chocolate teapot/fireguard'.

'A watched pot never boils' . (spoiler: it does).

'No need to go that fast, you won't get there any quicker' (?).

Andrew.

Someone tried 'left handed screwdriver' on me. I am left handed, so that fell flat, they are all left handed to me.

On left handedness, southpaw is common, cuddy-whifter from a very northern colleague caught me out, and for some reason a Spanish nurse over here in France (doing covid vacs) was creased up by cack-handed. He asked which arm to prod, and Julie used that term about me. He had to write it down, probably to impress his next English client.

Andrew.
Andrew CACK (or CACKA) in Spanish, basically means the same as it does in English !!!, it means poo, you often hear children in Spain wanting a CACKA .

Andrew.
I am also a lefty, left handed and appreciate your comments! I had a couple of very dear aunts who called me cagy (spell) handed affectionately. Although I did other things like cricket and golf (lousy at both) right handed!

I am also a lefty, left handed and appreciate your comments!
Either hand for a mouse, but prefer left hand. Mouse is always configured for right hand though, (Click with left button). I pick up a guitar right handed. Wouldn't know which hand to use for a golf club.

Topic drift.

Ref #57, I have heard the term cow bag, (but not for a long time).
Something presented badly called a dogs dinner.
Posh clothes called glad rags.
Someone particularly weak couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Andrew.

Either hand for a mouse, but prefer left hand. Mouse is always configured for right hand though, (Click with left button). I pick up a guitar right handed. Wouldn't know which hand to use for a golf club.

Topic drift.

Andrew.
I am right handed with a mouse, and supplement activity with my left hand on keys and touch pad. This improves my poor typing skills!
Ah, guitars, learning to play. Right hand not so good, setting to visit with a true professional teacher which there are plenty of good ones where we are. A few miles from Nashville!

Remeber my dad used to say,
"Well i will go to the foot of our stairs" think he was surprised about something but not sure.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Bob’s your uncle
You will have a smile on the other side of your face - this was a telling off

A saying used in our family "red hat no draws" (knickers or pants these days).
I wore a red hat when I went on honeymoon in 1972 what did that say about me, (they would have been wrong)

Topic drift.

Andrew.
Many years ago I went to a sports shop to buy my dad's Christmas present, nice kid leather gloves for golf. I took them back as there was only one in the packet.....embarrassed or what how was I to know that golfing gloves do not come in pairs!

When someone was obviously suffering from a cold, my Gran would say "e (or er)'s been drinking out o' wet glasses".

Back