• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

T

teresa Kurzaj

my mom used to call faggots ducks with veils or veiled ducks has anybody else heard this saying?

Terasa, I have not heard the saying although my Mom often made fagotts she also taught me. I remember she would hold up the "kell" to wrap them in, it reminded me of lace.........like a veil. I expect this is where the saying came from.

Hi Momma P. yes that sounds about right, dont know if mom got the saying from her mother who was nottingham born.???

Im not really bothered who made them, but bring them on. I love faggots, always have. You do understand I mean the edible type dont you ? Just so long as there is no confusion. Barry.

Hmm, where to post this?

I've struggled to find a suitable place to post this! Someone posted it on a Greek Forum that I use:-

A Brummie goes for a job interview wearing a polyester shirt, bright flares and big boots.

The interviewer says: "All you need now is a kipper tie."

The Brummie replies: "That would be nice, two sugars, please." :D

Regards,

Maurice at The LONGMORE Pages
https://www.msheppard.com

Sylvia I haven't heard that for ages.........thanks for the memory:D

Yes Please

Here's one my other half keeps coming out with...found it a bit baffling at first. When asked if she wants something she says

" Yes please ta very much thank you"

Seems to be perculiar to brum never heard it anywhere else.

another one mom used to say was Ta ra a bit! dont know where the bit came into it?

When we were kids and used to stretch to time out before bed, we hated the sound of Dad saying, '"C'mon now, up the wooden dancers".

my mom used to call faggots ducks with veils or veiled ducks has anybody else heard this saying?

hi teresa, i do believe that the brains faggot packaging originally had the phrase, "savoury ducks" on it, and my mother's family comes from yorkshire and they called faggots ducks.

Arthur.

When I first got involved in Scouting in Canada and we went on training courses in cabins, not tents because of the weather at that time of the year. I offered to 'knock someone up in the morning' everyone just looked at me in amazement and broke into laughter. Then they asked what it meant. When I said it meant to wake someone up they explained it had a different meaning here, probably does in England now. That was nearly 30 years ago and I am still teased about it.:)

Old sayings.

:p I remember if anyone felt a little off colour people would say you do look liverish. Don't hear that today. Jean. :p

A PS on my previous post to teresa, if you google savoury ducks all sorts of stuff comes up relating to faggots.

hi teresa, i do believe that the brains faggot packaging originally had the phrase, "savoury ducks" on it, and my mother's family comes from yorkshire and they called faggots ducks.

Arthur.
woder why they called them "ducks"

A few little sayings from my husbands family:

"How old are you Grandma?
"I'm as old as me tongue and a little bit older than me teeth"

"Where have you been Mom?"
"There and back to see how far it is"
"No.....c'mon Mom, tell me"
"If you'd have been where I'd have been, you'd have been a kidney bean"

"Dad, what can I draw?"
"Try drawing your breath"
"Oh Dad......tell me"
"okay then, draw some money out of the bank"

No wonder the lad has always been confused. :D:D:D

Anyone heard " All kippers & curtains"

Meaning fancy net curtains at the windows but not got "two ha'ppenies to rub together"

I reacon I was dragged up differently beatrice :D

I remember if I looked a bit dishevelled, I was told "you look as though you've been dragged through a hedge back'ards"

'Orse Road

My Gran always used to say

"Wen ya goo owt mind the 'Orse Road'

I have heard Carl Chinn use this may times.

Oooh Arr

During the 70's I often used to say "Oooh Arr" when I meant "Yes". We had an Australian come to visit us and when he heard me he said that I sounded like a donkey!

My grand-dad would refer to any poverty-stricken person as 'living on the bones of his a**e'. Crude, but to this day I can't help laughing about it.

Big Gee

:)Another of Dad's sayings. If we had any rubbish for the bin, he would tell us to put it in the 'miskin'.

My grandmother (born 1873) also called the dustbin the 'miskin tin', and she said the term was old as the hills then. I've always wondered where the word originated.

The other name for a dustbin was the 'pig-bin', at least up our end.

Big Gee

I just used an expression , I don't know where I first heard it.
Where's your hat, what's your hurry. :)Mo

Back