• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Road 1926

Shellywoos

knowlegable brummie
Hi all
I was sticking the back down on my Nan and Granddads wedding photograph, when I noticed a piece of card and removing it to my surprise discovered this photograph of some type of female gym group from Saltley Road dated 1926. It look like it says Gong Gym?
I thought it would be great to share.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1641945499177.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641945499177.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1641945505587.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641945505587.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1641945512366.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641945512366.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24
Looks like "congl". Congregational?
Was there a congregational church where they met?
Hi ya

I never thought about it being abbreviated for Congregational. This picture was from a photography shop when they got married do I am inclined to assume the photo was spare as it has been used as cardboard to keep the photo in place as I don't recognise anyone on the photograph.

most interesting photo...it could be that the photo shop used it to keep the photo in place but equally a member of your family could have done it as it does not look like a very old frame to me..my interest is just what sport they are playing which looks like rounders...

lyn

most interesting photo...it could be that the photo shop used it to keep the photo in place but equally a member of your family could have done it as it does not look like a very old frame to me..my interest is just what sport they are playing which looks like rounders...

lyn
I think they are holding "Indian Clubs" and there are weights in front of them.

1921 Kelly's directory indicates a Congregational church on Saltley Road.

Added: Thanks Mike I was just searching for a map when your post saved me doing any more.

Back