• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal visits to Birmingham

Hi all hope i am posting this in the right place..does anyone know if there was a royal visit to Birmingham in the late 50s or very early 60s. i remember standing in Lodge rd Hockley with a crowd of people all waving Union Jacks, but being young at the time i cant remember what is was about..and its driving me mad trying to remember.:)
I remember standing in Barker St Lozells and waving a flag with all of the rest of the kids from my school (St Silas). I have a feeling that the Queen mom had come via H Samuel s !

Hi Terry.
No, I think he was there before All Saints, as a Deacon rather than a fully qualified priest.
My grandmother was a parishioner at St M&M & she gave my grandfather´s treasured long case clock to Martin Tunnicliffe, much to my mother´s horror.
Brings back memories.

Definitely Maggie, I remember the Queen and the Duke coming down Icknield St in the late 1950's. They went right by the Swan Brand factory, and on towards Hockley.

hi,folks...looking for a pic,of the 1939..queens visit to birmingham..1st march 1939..opening of st martins flats..vaughton st..there is film footage british pathe.8,seconds,.long..but no pic of the plague/tablet, of what it says..can you guys help..regards..

The only Royal visit I can remember is while at Ryland Road School.
Cannot remember the year, but we were all marched down to Tyburn Road, to watch King George and Queen Elizabeth drive past, must have taken all of a few seconds to go by.

hi folks...my visit to the library today coinsided with the queens visit to victoria square and as i have never seen her before i hung around to try and get a pic of her...no good trying to get one at victoria square as it was chocablock so i legged it back up colmore row for a better vantage point..really chuffed with these as i only had one shot to get it right..im sure prince phillip waved at me too lol..im really chuffed as i have had a fantastic morning all round as you will see when i post on the paddington st thread..

paddington st and queen 010.JPGpaddington st and queen 012.JPGpaddington st and queen 013.JPG

Last edited:
well done lyn, very good pics there. my son has just rung me to say he saw her very close up and she smiled at him - hes police inspector of bham city centre so hes been looking after her security today.

Have been told that my Granddaughter shook the Queens hand in Victoria Sq today, not seen a pic yet, seen Philip at the NMA

I listened to a little boy on the radio saying he loved the Queens dress in pink salmon. Have a photo somewhere when the couple came past Sumlock Comptometer years ago but am blowed if I can find it. Well done Lyn Chris's son and Daves Granddaughter. Love to see some more photo's of today's visit especially your's Dave.

Dave, was it your grandaughter that was on Midlands Today at lunchtime - they showed a couple of children shaking her hand, might be worth looking on BBC i-player?
Lyn, pics are great, glad you got to see her and him, will we have to curtsey when we meet again lol.
Sue

Great photos Lyn. I once went into Solihull one Saturday and was in a hurry. Not well pleased to be prevented from crossing the road but had the good fortune to be only about 8 feet from the Queen as she went past.

West Midlands Police have put up photos on Flickr - Link Here There may even be a shot of Lyn.

scan0019.jpgscan0018.jpg
When I was 21 years old ,the queen mother opened Birminghams law courts (18th Nov 1987) I was chosen as one of the drivers(car5) chauffeuring the justice Miklen , which is on the list , I wasn't supposed to have one of the brochures ,but they had a few left over so handed them out to the drivers . I've never stepped foot in the place since that day ,but i'm sure its changed a fair bit inside though

silly question but does anyone have any photo's of the day ? many thanks matt:cupcake: sorry if it isn't classed as historical ..i'm new to it all

King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra visited Birmingham on Wednesday 7th July 1909.
The King and Queen officially opened the Aston Webb building at Birmingham University; they also visited the Birmingham Institute for the Blind to confer their Royal Patronage, the institute then became known as the Birmingham Royal Institute for the Blind.
The Royal Procession route was transformed with a mass of decorations and a number of Triumphal Arches made by local utilities & organisations and a BCT decorated Tram.

Triumphal Arches pictures
1. School of Art Arch
2. Bedstead Trades Arch
3. Cycle Trades Arch– New St
4. Firemen’s Arch – Temple Row
5. Gas Department Arch – Colmore Row
6. Water Arch – Broad St

Other Pictures
7. The BCT Tram
8. Other roads listed in the procession route included - Corporation Street, Victoria Square & The Horsefair.
9. Various

#1 School of Art Arch
art arch 1.jpgart arch 2.JPGart arch 3.jpg

#2 Bedstead Trades Arch
bed arch 1.JPGBed arch 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (2)

#3 Cycle Trades Arch – New St
The wording on the Arch reads "Cycle Trade Welcomes Your Majesties" on one side and "Long Life To Your Majesties" on the other side.
(The caption on one of the pictures reads "Fitted with Lucas Lamps and Bells")

cycle 1.jpgcycle 2.jpgcycle 3 new st.jpg

#4 Firemen's Arch - Temple Row
Firemans Arch 1.JPG

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (3)

#5 Gas Department Arch – Colmore Row
gas arch 1.jpggas arch 2.jpggas arch 3.jpg

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (4)

#6 Water Arch - Broad street

Wording on the Arch reads - Our Water Supply - To City Streets - From Welsh Hills

water 1.jpg

water 2.jpg

water 3.jpg

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (5)

#7 - The BCT Tram

tram 1.jpg

tram 2.jpg

tram 3.jpg

Great thread Two, thanks! They really went to a lot of trouble.
I googled to see if there was any more info on the visit and found some of the postcards are on ebay!
Love the tram, my maternal granddad was on the trams.
Also interested in the bedstead makers arch as one of my Gt Granddads was in the trade.
Nice bit of history! Cheers

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (6)

Street Decorations for the Royal Visit

#8 Street Decorations - Corporation Street
#8 Decorations Corporation St.jpg

#8 Street Decorations - New Street
#8 Decorations New St.jpg

#8 Street Decorations - Victoria Square
#8 Decorations Victoria Square.jpg

#8 Street Decorations - Victoria Square(2)
#8 Decorations Victoria Square  2.jpg

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (7)

Royal Visit to Birmingham - Procession Route

Procession Route - Phoenix Assurance Building in background - Colmore Row?
proc  Phoenix Assurance Building in background.jpg

Procession Route - Horsefair
Proc horsefair.jpg

Procession Route - Victoria Square
proc victoria sq.JPG

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (8)

Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909
The day of the Royal visit was a Wednesday, so thousands must have had time off work to see the Royal Couple.

#9 Souvenir from The opening of Birmingham University
The souvenir notes that there will be a Seven Mile Royal Procession and a Choir of 35,00 Schoolchildren.
brum Royal Visit.jpg

#9 Souvenir Postcard of the Opening
univ - royal visit.JPG

# 9 Postcard Pictures of the King and Queen
King Edward VII.JPGQueen Alexandra.JPG

Re: Royal Visit to Birmingham 7 July 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (9)

#3 - Cycle Trades Arch on New St
(higher quality image)
cycle.jpg

I have really enjoyed this thread, what great pictures and was't Birmingham Patriotic and Royalist, just like my Mom and Dad, the atmosphere really comes through these photo's.
paul

Have just rediscovered my Dad's special edition of the Coldstream Gazette.Jubilee Number 1913/1938.He served in the Regiment during the Great War and out of six sons I was the only one to follow in his footsteps from 1948/53.The Old Coldstreamers Assc;as it was called was founded in 1913 and Birmingham was the number 2 branch after London.The report states that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, deputised for the King and Queen and vivited the Cityto open the New Hospital Centre.They also reviewed Exservice men in Cannon Hill Park. The OCA were invited to take part and no less than 88 members took part, it is worth remembering that most of them would have lost a days pay from work. Bernardlong service dinner961.jpg

Great photo Bernard I love to scan them and see if I recognise a family member. Michael's Uncle Bill Bailey was in the Colstream Guards.

Wendy, there is a list of members in that Coldstream Gazette, two men named Bailey, 5999 Bailey A and also 18125 Bailey BP, one of those could be Mike's uncle?Their HQ was the Chapel Taven in Great Charles Street, can remember going to a childrens party there one Christmas.I note one of the Associate Vice Presidents was CCH Moriarty, Chief Constable of Birmingham.Quite a number of Guardsmen went on to serve in the Police.Our regiment is the oldest in the British Army, having been formed in 1650 as part of Cromwells New Model Army. Bernard

This arch in post #1 was the School of Art arch, but where was it? Near which station? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372622376.148421.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372622384.747783.jpg

Back