• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rocky Lane Aston

J

June Moorby

Hi, :)

Can any one help ? I am looking for photo's of Rockey Lane Aston
numbers 112 or 113. infact any where round there.
Hope some one can help me.

Tat Tar  June.

Hi again.

I seem to be out of luck looking for any photo's
of Rockey Lane. So could some one tell me when
did they pull the houses down.

Tat Tar June.

June. just realized you mean Rocky Lane.........Houses started to go in 1956 onwards right into the 70's
My Grandfather lived in Rocky Lane in 1876

There are no houses left in Rocky Lane, just a pub and a Cafe opposite what used to be Tubes, the rest is gone, sorry

I have pictures of the pub and cafe which I took in December whilst I was  on a very rare visit to Brum.  If I can, I will get my Son to put them up for you, as I havent got a clue how to do it. Best wishes, Barry.

And a very good Cafe it is too, I've had many a Bacon Sarnie in there..

Hi,

I am back with many thanks for the info.

BAZZM thank you for the photo's but could you tell
me are they taken looking up from Aston Cross Way.

Cromwell
Thanks to you as well for info sorry I did not spell the name
correct never was very good with my spelling :2funny:
My Grand parents also my G. Grandparents lived at 112 and 113
My dad was also born at 112 in the year 1912.

Thanks to Kandor re all the houses have gone.

Tat Tar for now June.

June my Grandfather lived at the back of 114 Rocky lane and I have a few pics of the chapel in the Blitz with its roof blown off but dont want to bore you with war stuff
PS I corrected ya spelling

Hello Cromwell,

Thanks re the spelling and you would not bore me
with the old photo's at all.
Small world my lot at 112 and 113 and yours back of 114.
I have a photo taken of my self when I was about 2 years old
in the yard at the back of my nans house.
I remember my dad telling me he went to Spencer Street School.

Take care now tat tar June.

June, I took the pictures with Aston Cross about a 1/4 mile behind my back. And the road between the pub and cafe is William Henry St. Regards, Barry.

GOOD MORNING BAZZ ,
I JUST NOTICE THAT YOU GOT DOWN TO BRUM ,
AND YOU GOT A COUPLE OF GOOD PICTURES , AND I NOTICE THE OLD BOOZER HAS BEEN PAINTED UP ,
IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERERENCE , HAS THE PUB , CHANGED IT NAME BAZZ OR IT STILL THE OLD
HEN AND CHICKENS , , AND MOST IMPORTANTANT OF THEM ALL ;
DID YOU GO AND IN AND HAVE A SWIFT HALF FOR OLD TIME SAKE -? .
AND THE OLD COFFEE HOUSE LOOKED SPRUCED UP ,
I BET THE PRICES OF THE SARNIES UP TO PAY FOR THAT , MIND YOU THEY ALWAYS DONE A CRACKING SARNIE
DAINT THEY , ? .
BY THE WAY BAZZ WAS THE FORGE OPEN , WAS YOU ABLE TO GET ANY PICS OF INSIDE ,
OR EVEN DID YOU SEE ANY OLD FACES KNOCKING ABOUT .
IT LOOKS POSH DOWN THERE NOW , DON,T IT ,
I WILL EMAIL YOU LATER TODAY BAZZ , OKAY
TAKE CARE AND HAVE A NICE DAY ,, YOUR FRIEND ASTONIAN , //////

Good morning to you too Astonian. Yes I managed to get a couple of pics as I told you. The pub has changed names, its now called SHANAHANS. And no I didn,t get inside for a quick half, I didn,t have time, and it was shut anyway. The cafe does look nice and clean doesn,t it ? The day I got there was a Sat. morning, and, although the blue gate was open, I didn,t go in, as I was pushed for time. That would have been ideal though wouldn,t it ? To get inside and take a few photos. Still maybe another time. In the few minutes I was there I never saw anybody, so there was no-one to ask questions of. Take care, and I,ll speak to you again soon. Regards, Barry.

I see the name of the pub was previously the Royal Exchange, premises numbered in the 1873, later No 222, and after that No 119 Rocky La, which I suppose is still the address today.
Peter

Hello. My sister was born at my grandparents house at 259 Rocky Lane in 1942. She was very interested to see the photos of the pub and the cafe, thank you. She would also like to see Cromwell's blitz pictures if he would be kind enough to post them. Eileen

Peter, as Astonian and I both worked in Rocky Lane at the same time, I too remember the pub as the Hen & Chickens. Barry.

It was the Hen & Chickens in the 40's right up to a few years ago. Pics of Rocky lane I will put in the Blitz Thread, Eileen a bit later

YES THAT RIGHT CROM  WE BOTH WORKED  AT TUBES IN THE SIXTIES ,
   AND THE OLD HEN AND CHICK , WAS ACROSS THE ROAD FACING OUR WORKS ENTRANCE
   WHICH WAS THE FORGE FOUNDRY ,
   AND WE DONE SHIFT WORK ;
   AND WHEN WE WAS ON THE 2 TILL 10 SHIFT  AROUND TEA TIME  SOME OF US , USED TO NIP ACROSS
    TO OLD CHICKS , FOR A COUPLE OF SWIFT ONES  , AND NIP BACK IN WITH OUT  THE GATHERS SEEING US ,
    THE TWO MAIN ONES WAS OLD BIG  BILL ANTROBUS ,  AND STAN FISHER .
     IF WE GOT CAUGHT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED , OR SACKED ,ON THE SPOT
     I CANNOT FORGET THE HEN AND CHICKENS ,  FOR TWO  REASONS,
     FIRST OF ALL BEING BORN BY IT  SECONDLY THE GRAND PARENTS  HAVING THE COFFEE SHOPS
     ON THE CROSS OF ROCKY LANE ,AND PARK LANE BEING CLOSE TO IT
     DAD AT THE GOLDEN CROSS  AND WHEN WORKING AT TUBES,
     MY LOVELY OLD DUTCHESS , WHOM I,VE BEEN MARRIED TO FOR THE LAST THIRTY YEARS
      WAS WALKING PASS ON HER WAY HOME  PASS TUBES , REGULAR , WHOM I CLOCKED AND FANCIED
      ON MY BREAKS , I WOULD CLIMB DOWN OUT OF MY OVER HEAD CRANE  WHICH WAS NO 1 CRANE
      RIGHT BY THE DOOR  AND WAIT FOR TO PASS AND START CHATTING HER UP ,
      AND I INVITED HER INTO THE OLD CHICKS
      FOR A QUICK TOT , AFTER THAT IT WAS BOBS YOUR UNCLE , AND FANNY,S YOUR AUNT ,
      GOT MARRIED  HAD THREE KIDS  AND THREE GRAND CHILDREN ,
       AND NEVER LOOKED BACK  .
       AND THIRTY YEARS LATER  I,M STILL IN LOVE WITH HER ,
      AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE NEVER LOOKED AT ANOTHER LADY ,
      THATS WHY I WILL ALWAYS THE OLD HEN AND CHICKS

Astonian, My Father was born at no 16 Cheston Road Aston 1897 which is in spitting distance of the Hen & Chickens,I have spent a lot of time in their do you remember the time Rudders and Paynes cought fire and lit half of Brum up?
Here is a photo of when they thought we would be invaded and had street fighting schools Photo was taken at the top of Rocky Lane just before Rupert St

Brilliant photo Graham..Did no one ever teach our guys about tactics? personally, I'd had 'Street fighting' schools where my men would have made best use of cover rather than leave them very open to having a bullet bounced into their faces..mind you, I guess it was just for show.
Like I said, great pic.

Les From were they are they could not be seen as they was just on the brow of the hill and I suppose they had all seen Errol Flynn at the flicks and wanted to look good

YES CROMIE ; 
                       I DO RECALL THE BONFIRE AT RUDDERS AND PAYNE ,
                         AND THE SCHOOL TRAINING PROGRAME
                           I,M JUST RACKING MY BRAIN AS TO WHAT YEAR IT WAS ,
                         WAS OUR ERROL AT THE ORIENT , OR THE ASTORIA /
                         DID YOU WATCH IT .
                         I ONLY WENT TO THE ASTORIA  TO WATCH ROY ROGERS ,
                          BECAUSE I USED TO GET IN FREE , BECAUSE MY DEAR OLD AUNT MAUD
                         WAS ON THE PAY BOX ,

Astonian....loved reading about how you met your wife, and chatted her up and took her in the Hen and Chickens.
Was that the hot summer of '76?

Yes, it was the Hen & Chickens, which only had a beer licence until 1956 at the earliest! So it ewasn't listed in the directories by pub name until 1939. But it was listed as a beerhouse as early as 1862, licensee Samuel Bates, who appears there in 1868 and 1873. By 1933 it was Hectror H Green, and by 1939, George William Harbon. Then it was Thomas Stevenson through until at least 1950, and Dennis Tombes in 1955

Peter

Hi John.

Glad you found a picture of the house's in Rocky Lane.

Sorry to say I cant remember the pub or cafe as I was
only a little one when I used to go to my nan's.
I was more interested in pushing my dolls pram at the time. :2funny:

But it was lovely to see the photo's that have been put on here.
Thanks again to you all.

Tat Tar June.

John ya dont know it but you have made my day...........Thanks for the info you have posted

John, like Cromwell, you certainly made my day when I saw that picture. Am I right in thinking that that is Stretton Road on the left ? Because it looks as if we are looking towards the Cross. Barry.

Back