• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rocky Lane Aston

John was Concentric down a side road from there only I worked there for a very short time?. Need my memory jogging. Jean.

John. Fabulous pics. Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to put them up for us. I spent over 12 years working in Rocky Lane from the mid- 60s, so some of them sights bring back happy memories. Thanks, Barry.

hi barry..seeing pics like that dont you just wish that sometimes things were back the same way....i can almost smell the atmosphere when looking at them.....

lyn

Hi Lyn,
It's looking towards Nechells Green, Long Acre on the left and Cromwell Street (where I used to live ) on the right.

Great Pics John, Photo 4 / 60# my Sister & myself always hoped that a Train would come over that bridge when we were on the way to our Aunts just after the War. It did sometimes Happy days

Hi Alf,
When I was at Charles Arthur St., we were taken by bus to Burney Lane playing fields.
When we came back the bus used to come down Rocky Lane and turn right and back up Charlie Arther St., because of the camber of the road it used to lean over at an alarming angle, we all used to pile up on that side of the bus to see if we could tip it over, (mad fools).
Regards John.

Lyn. I totally agree with you. Sometimes I wish that we could turn the clock back. I have such great memories of my time working in Rocky Lane. Plus my Grand-parents lived just off it, in Stretton Road, which I dont believe is there any more. I was 15 when I started work at Rocky Lane, and 28 when I came to live in Scotland, so it holds a lot of good times for me, and to see these photos really makes my day. I can just close my eyes for a few minutes, and imagine I am back there in the good old days again. Barry.

hi barry..nice that you agree with me...not everyone does...lol

where about did you work in rocky lane....

lyn

My late Mother-in-law lived at no. 129 Rocky Lane in the 1920's then at 242 Rocky Lane in the 1930's. The family name was LATCHFORD.

Lovely to see the photos, thank you John.

life force pen offices 1954...

astoness

courtesy of carl chinn

the caption on this pic should read rookery road handsworth...it is not rocky lane....many apologies folks but that is what the caption read....

Last edited:
Lyn. I worked at Tubes Ltd, in the Production Control offices from 1964-1970, then the Forge Dept office from 1971-1977, and loved every minute. Barry.

hi barry...then you must have been at tubes the same time as my auntie...she used to go up the cranes if memory serves me...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I was just about to post that pic of the pen factory, because although I left the area in 1952, I cannot think for the life of me where that would be in Rocky Lane I even have my doubts it is Rocky Lane, unless one of our more learned friends can put me right.
Regards John.

hi john...as we know the captions can be wrong...maybe a kellys look up will solve it...unless as you say one of our experts gets to it first....

lyn

Kellys for 1950, 56 and 63 doesn't give anythingm that's looking under steel-, fountain- and gold- pen makers in trade section,, under Life... and Lite... in commercial section and under Rocky Lane.
mike

hi mike..there is more than one rocky lane...i reckon its a miss caption....

lyn

after some detective work I have now found the answer it's Rookery Road Handsworth the place next door is Archers builder and plumbers Life long Pens are made by Collins of Rookery road Jewellers caption to be changed to Rookery Road

does anyone remember the giblin family on rocky lane,they lived at number 47 i think.....there was a john and majorie giblin and two sons john and james???

hi demonde2
what year was they living down there [gibblings] the name rings a bell
i remember a lady by the name of dodds but i cannot recall the number i also recall a masons whomhad a off licece on the corner of a side rd .best wishes astonian;;

hi astonian,

cant place the year but they had been there right up til until 1979,when the father died in the house, they was regulars to mason off licence tho as i remember, they was a bit a loner type people tho,

Derek i was just reading your post telling of your happy memories of Cromwell Street. Did you say you lived at 3, Cromwell Street or 3, Gt Lister St ? Its just that my gt grandad Frederick Wallace was born at 3 Cromwell Street in 1881, they lived there a few years & i know my grandad Bernard Wallace was born in Cromwell St, not sure what number though, 23 rings a bell. All i can say is WOW !!! if thats where you lived, what a coincidence ! Do you have any photos of the house ?
Best wishes
Laraine:)
Hello laraine,sorry i missed your post,or if i answered it i,ve lost the plot (doh) i was born at no 3 Cromwell st in 1948 and if you take a look at my album there is a picture of the corner of grt Lister st and Cromwell st,no 3 is just by the telegraph pole,that is the best i have, would love to have a front shot of it have a couple of people looking but to no avail.
the Wallace,s we knew lived opp next to the Preece family, and there was a crock shop the the Higgins family ran, the Wallace family were builders and the son who i knew Albert worked years later in no 1 signal box at new st station,he was train mad.
hope this is of help let me know regards dereklcg.

Hello Jean,does,nt ring any bells i,m afraid will have a look at your,
other posting regards Derek.

And another mock-up, by a bit of photo magic I've merged two photos together to give you a view of Rocky Lane as it was from Nechells Green.

I'm one of those people who don't need a lot of sleep (been up since 2.30),
and I often play about on the old computer, here's the result from this morning.

Back