• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rocky Lane Aston

Hi Derek have only just seen your reply to when i asked you if you lived at 3 Cromwell St, sorry, not been on here for a while with moving house & the like. My gt grandad was born at no3, his name was Frederick Wallace & i know they were there for a few years before moving further up Cromwell St. Frederick was a builder so that may have been his premises that you mention. His son Bernard, my grandad, i wrongly thought was born in Cromwell St infact it was Claverdon St, i dont think that exists now ? Frederick had another son Albert Wallace, possibly the one you knew who worked at New St Station. I dont know alot about him but would like to know more, ive seen one photo of him where he is with my grandad as a young lad.
I think thats great that you lived at the same address years later.
Best wishes
Laraine

My grandad died on way home from work in rocky lane is name was john bullock. He lives in yewtree road aston. He died on a tram in rocky lane on way towards aston cross i think it was around the 1930.
Reg

Hiya Morris. I've got a friend by the name of John Bullock, he's researching his F/T his father's name is Donald William Bullock. But he has hit a brick wall as early as his Grandfather . Albert Ernest Bullock, I was sort of hoping you might be able to shine a bit of light on a Bullock family for me. Regards Reg Cook.

My grandad died on way home from work in rocky lane is name was john bullock. He lives in yewtree road aston. He died on a tram in rocky lane on way towards aston cross i think it was around the 1930.
Reg

Morris,

I stand to be corrected but I do not thionk that trams ever ran along Rocky Lane. It was on the Inner Circle (No 8) bus route.

Old Boy

it must have been going down lichfield road towards aston parish church. i am only going on what my mother told me thanks for your reply reg

Hi reg have not done much research on bullock family. The bullocks in my mom jessies family were.
Brothers--- harry, john ,joe, george
sisters ---loui, alice violet, lily
father ---john bullock married alice crowton 1916
johns father joseph hirain bullock your friends bullocks might be differn family le me know if its linked reg

hi guys
my mom spent alot of time whenshe was growing up in that cafe i belonged to the jelfs way back in time i think it was the thrtys
as it was the grand mother or charles jelf at the time grand mother being mary ann hughes
and we worked at tubes barry and myself and other friends working there at tubes used to have a work runner by the name of ron used to go across to the cafe and get all the workers sandwiches for all the guys whomwas working in the foundry
those was the days and across at the hen and chicks for a swift drink when the gaffers was not on patol around the foundry whatching us work
in the end they cottonend on and started to close the rollers down so we could not nip across to the hens for that swift half
it sure was thirty work in there i the summeraye bazz alan astonian

I work in a cafe on Rocky lane opposite Shanahans so that cafe in the photo must be just a bit further up the road from where I work.

Hi All,

I am fairly sure that when I lived in Stretton Road in the 1950s the premises on the corner of Chester Street/Rocky Lane was an off licence (outdoor). I stand to be corrected. Perhaps someone with an acess to Kelly's Directory for the early 1950s can assist?

Old Boy

I used to work in Rocky Lane in the late 1970's, at a place called Economatics, i wonder if that is still there?

Seem to remember the cafe in the earlier photo....

Back