• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rocky Lane Aston

It is Stretton Rd Baz, and I wrote here somewhere how I worked in the House where Johnny Prescott was living with his Aunty.

I was interested in whether it was Stretton Road because my Grand-Parents lived there for more years than I can recall.
I remember the corner shop on the right, and in the mid sixties it became a cafe, called the -------- spoon. The shop opposite it used to be a newsagents, where I would pop in to buy supplies before going in to work at Tubes over the road. I see the barbers shop next to it, where I had my hair done ( when I had more than I have now ), many a time. Wonderful memories just from one picture. Thanks very much John.

HI BAZZ , AND KANDOR ,
YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT STRETTON RD WAS ON THE LEFT LOOKING UP TO THE CROSS
AND OUR PUB BRAWLER , JOHNY PRESCOTT LIVED UP THERE , I BELIEVE HE CAME UP FROM NECHELLS
JOHNY DONE HIS TRAING UP AT THE TREES PUB , UP AT THE TOP END OF KEY HILL ,
HE DID START HIS EARLY CARRER AT THE COLLEDGE ARMS UP AT SRING HILL BEFORE MOVING TO THE TREES
HE OPENEND A COUPLE OF BOOKIES SHOP DURING HIS REIGN ,
WHEN HE RETIRED HE WENT INTO THE METAL SHEET STOCK HOLDING BUSSINESS ,
AND HAD SOME PREMISES NMORE OR LESS FACING OUR HOUSE ON VICTORIA RD ASTON
AND GETTING BACK TO STRETTON RD , AND AS YOU BOTH RECALL STRETTON RD
WHERE THE TWO SHOPS ARE ,
I CAN RECALL THE MRS MASON , BE CAUSE SHE NEARLY BROKE MY MOTHERS MARRIDGE UP
DURING THE EARY FIFTIES , BECAUSE MY OLD MAN , SO CALLED FATHER , WAS HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH HER
AT THE GOLDEN CROSS , SOMEBODY TIP HER OFF ABOUT THE AFFAIR
AND SHE WENT TO AN INVESTERGATER , AND HAD IT PROVEN ,
I EVEN WENT MYSELF TO SPY ON HIM , HE WAS A WOMAN ISER , HE HAD AN AFFAIR WITH SOME ONE IN HOLLAND RD AS WELL , BUT SAYING , AFTER MY GRAND MOTHER DIED IN 1953 ERNIE JELF , HER FATHER
PICKED UP WITH AN OLD DEAR BY THE NAME OF ROBINSO N , ANOTHER LOCAL ,
WHOM BLED HIM TO DEATH , BY TRYING TO KEEP HER HAPPY , AND GIVE HER THE LIME LIGHT
TO WHAT HE WAS CONDITIONED TO , HE STARTED TO SELLOF THE SHOPS ONE BY ONE ,
AND IT WAS MY GRAND MOTHER BERTHA WAS THE BRAINS OF THE OUTFIT ,
ALSO I REMEMBER CHAMIS MAKER , BECAUSE MY FATHER LIVED OFF THE BACK OF JELFS ,
AND HE KEPT HER SHORT OF MONEY , SHE WENT THERE FOR A JOB OF DOING
OUTSIDE WORK , [ WORKING FROM HOME ] THEY BROUGHT A LOAD OF LEATHER OFF CUTS
AND A BIG BALL OF STRING AND YOU HAD TO MAKE SMALL CAR CHAMMIS CAR LEATHERS ,
AND THEY PAYED A PENNY FOR EACH ONE YOU MADE
SO WHEN YOU DONE 240 , ALL YOU EARN,T WAS I POUND FOR HER TROUBLE ,
US KIDS TOLD HER TO PACK IT IN , AND SHE DID ,
MY MOM WAS A VERY ATTRATIVE LADY , AND A STAGE DANCER IN ALL FORMS OF DANCING
SHE WAS A VERY PROFFESSIONAL AND ACDEMIC PERSON , AND HIGHLY EDUCATED
WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL FROM THE DAY SHE COULD WALK
UNTIL THE DAY SHE LEFT , SHE NEVER WENT TO A STATE SCHOOL IN HER LIFE
SHE WAS PROP[SED TO BY A MR PATTERSON , OF PATTERSON AND HUGHES , ,
I DON,T KNOW WHETHER THIS GENTLEMAN HIS STILL ALIVE I DO NOT KNOW ,
THEY ARE THE FOUNDRES OF THE COMPANY WHICH I BELIEVE IS STILL IN BUSSINESS TODAY IN B,HAM ,
SHE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE , TO WHAT I CAN READ FROM THE FORUM , AND WHAT I HAVE LEART
ABOUT HIS FAMILY THEY WHERE GOLD DIGGERS , AND WHAT I HAVE LEART FROM THE
FORUM , HIS MOTHER WAS THE SAme ,
I HOPE EVERYBODY HAS A NICE DAY , BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;;

A great photo of Rocky Lane, thanks John, these old pictures really do evoke memories of our childhood. My eldest brother in law was born at 17 Rocky Lane, near the bus stop, and lived there until his marriage, and his mother lived there until her death.

HI SYLVIA ,
                       WAS,NT THEM THE POSH LOOKING ONES , IN THE MIDDLE BACK OF THE HOUSES . 
                        BEFORE YOU GOT TO THE CORNER OF STRETTON RD , ?
                        WITH RED PAINTED  BAY WINDOWS WITH THE CARDINAL STEPS , AS I SEEM
                         TO RECALL  IN THE EARLY FIFTIES , .

Cromwell and John. Loved the pictures of Rocky Lane and all the interesting information which has been posted. Thank you. Eileen

Hi its me.

Cant seem to get the photo onto the page
Found my pic file no problem then I click onto
it to open and that is it gone gone gone.
I will have to keep trying
Old age has got me :2funny:

Tat Tar June.

June where have I seen this photo before ? have you had it published somewhere?
it is a great pic.

Hi John and Cromwell.

Not sure how I got half a pic on but will
have a go again.

Cromwell you will have to ask our John as he
has put the whole of the photo on the site
some where.

Tat Tar June.

Emma Rhodes, nee Osborne, sister of my grandmother Annie Osborne, lived at 128 Rocky Lane in 1881.
Five years later, Annie's husband-to-be William Fulford lived/lodged there. They married on 4 April 1886 at St Clement's Church.

Florence.

Carol Wright.

:) I had a friend called Carol wright who lived in Rockey lane. Her dad died when she was very young. An only child. Anyone out there remember her?. I have a couple of photo's of her that I must put on the computer. Bye. Jean. :)

re: Rockey lane

do any off you young ladies out there,remember a ladies dress / cloth,s shop i think it was just before Aston cross on Rockey lane on the left or on the same side of the pub,called madam Doreen,s my aunt and her daughters were always there buying cloths there, way back when?
it was as i remember like a house or in a house one with a bay type
window?? regards dereklcg

Very early in my present employment I went with my boss (the MD of the company) to visit a firm near Rocky Lane that made control-cables for cars (can't remember that firm's name). When we came out of the meeting it was lunch-time, and I drove down Rocky Lane en route to the centre of Brum for a curry or something, when my boss spotted the cafe by the old Hen & Chickens. "That'll do for me!" sez he, and in we went in our suits to sit down to one of the best lunches I've ever had - a real old-fashioned Brummie fry-up including, I remember, kidneys. Our cholesterol levels must have doubled, but it was totally delicious! My boss sat and talked for ages to the blokes from Tubes across the road, cadging their Park Drive off them as he nattered.

That was all before the world went mad.

Big Gee

I lived at 160 Rocky Lane (Nechells end, just on the bend before the lights) from 1968, to late 1969. I have a lot of good memories from my time there. :)

hi brummieb, welcome to bhf it,s a great site you should find what you,re looking for on here,there,s lots of very kind and helpful people from the world over only to willing to share and and hopefully you can share your history with them, did you remember a Ladies cloths shop down the other end i,m guessing you lived nechells / cromwell st end?
the shop was called madam doreen,s my aunt shopped there all the time. can you remember it?
enjoy your time on here we all do..:):)
regards dereklcg.

Re: Rocky Lane memories

I lived the Nechells end of Rocky Lane at no 236 next door to the Jacksons and O'Mally families and can remember a line of shops with a ladies dress shop that Mrs Pendry owned which got pulled down to build flats. They were near cromwell street. I think there used to be a barbers shop too where my brother went for a hair cut and we had to say short back & sides with double 00's.

Mrs Pendy moved to Lozells near to were my uncle lived. As a child of about 10 years old she used to pay me sixpence to bring the bit of money still owed to her from customers in Rocky lane who paid weekly, on the bus over to her in Lozells, when I visited my aunt and uncle which was every week. I usually had to take one or two pigeons placed in a strong brown paper carrier bag with small hole torn out of the corner, so they could breathe over to my uncle who also raced pigeons. They lived in the back to back houses up a yard with the wash house & toilet in the middle of the court and my uncles pigeon pen next to it.

If the pigeons saw a chink of light they would wriggle to try to get out so I hung on to the tightly rolled up top of the bag until I got to my uncles in case they got out on the bus and I would get in trouble from the bus conductor.

If the pigeons got out and arrived back home I would have been in even more trouble from my father because he also raced pigeons and they were usually young pigeons he was training and he used to send them in the same basket as my uncles racing pigeons to cut costs.

They would be put on the train to Gloucester with lots of other baskets of pigeons and the train guard would then let them all out and my father checked the times the pigeons arrived home and this was the one he concentrated on to train the best.

Some of the things that people in those days took on the bus would be banned now.

thats a really nice story Louisa,
as i,ve said before to other people it jog,s
the old grey matter, on this site, happy days i lived in Cromwell street
the top end though off grt lister st no 3 i,ll post you a pic.
just found this as i goes with names and numbers in rocky lane.
regards dereklcg.

hi brummieb, welcome to bhf it,s a great site you should find what you,re looking for on here,there,s lots of very kind and helpful people from the world over only to willing to share and and hopefully you can share your history with them, did you remember a Ladies cloths shop down the other end i,m guessing you lived nechells / cromwell st end?
the shop was called madam doreen,s my aunt shopped there all the time. can you remember it?
enjoy your time on here we all do..:):)
regards dereklcg.

Thank you derek. :)

Unfortunately, I don't remember the shop you mentioned..... in fact there were no shops left when I lived there that I can recall.

Where I lived, there was a huge dirt pile opposite..... which obviously had some kind of buildings on previously. At the side, was a narrow side road, the name of which I can't recall now.... but, before we left that area, they built a block of flats opposite.

The nearest shops I can remember, were those on the corner of Rocky Lane and Nechells Park Road.

Florence,
If I,M Not Mistaken William Fullford Came From Cow Honeybourne
As It Was Known In Them Days, Now It,s Just Called Honeybourne
Worcestershire Along With The Chorley Family From The Same
Village The Chorleys Was Money People And According To The
Records There Was Afew Members In The Fullfords
Old Man Chorley Bought The Little One Up And Down House
From Ernie Jelf , Chorly Kept His Other Houses,s In Honey bourne
And He Rented The Little Thatched Cottage To The Brummies
WhomWent To Eversham , For Fruit Picking
The Little House Was The Rear Of 235-237 Park lane
Behind The Fish And Chip Shop And The Coffee Shop In The
Late 1800,S And The Begining Of 1900,S
DEREK, I,m Not Lady But I Also Remember The Ladys shop
Between The Houses,s And Yards From Masons Off Licence
She Used To Drink Her Self In The Golden Cross , my Mother
Always Thought My Dad Was Having An Affair With Her
And One Day She Caught Him And Her Hugging And Kissing Each
Up The Corner My Mother Balistic At Them Both,
My Other Spent Some Of Her Child hood Days In That Coffee Shop
In The Early 1900,S When The Jelfs Owned It Oppersite Tubes
I Have Got Alot Of Memory,s Of Aston And Of Rocky Lane , astonian ,;;;

Derek i was just reading your post telling of your happy memories of Cromwell Street. Did you say you lived at 3, Cromwell Street or 3, Gt Lister St ? Its just that my gt grandad Frederick Wallace was born at 3 Cromwell Street in 1881, they lived there a few years & i know my grandad Bernard Wallace was born in Cromwell St, not sure what number though, 23 rings a bell. All i can say is WOW !!! if thats where you lived, what a coincidence ! Do you have any photos of the house ?
Best wishes
Laraine:)

rocky lane youth church 1942...

astoness...

pic courtesy of carl chinn....

Derek you say you lived in Cromwell street. Do you remember Ivy Price from there only I have just posted a photograph of her on the Manor Park school thread?. I'm hoping to get some photo's of the coal yard this weekend. Jean.

Back