• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

NickieJ

master brummie
Hi
I’m looking for information on my grandad Robert Jones (Bob) his marriage certificate states he lived at 232 Lyndon road. And my Nan blance Bennett lived at 190 Lyndon Road this was in1946 I’m told Bob had brothers Dennis and Arthur. His dad was William Jones. Bob was a engineer in the RAF based in India during World War Two. I hope someone will remember him and have any information on him as i have very little. Thank you

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
hope someone can help you nickie...i have altered the thread title to include your grandads name...what area was lyndon road

lyn

most welcome what area was lyndon road as there seems to be more than one

lyn

As mentioned Robert is listed at 232 Lyndon Road on the 1939 register. He is there with his mother Gladys and brother Dennis. His father is not listed with them but there may be some reasons for this.

Blanche and her mother, Sarah, are listed at 87 Monica Road.

As mentioned Robert is listed at 232 Lyndon Road on the 1939 register. He is there with his mother Gladys and brother Dennis. His father is not listed with them but there may be some reasons for this.

Blanche and her mother, Sarah, are listed at 87 Monica Road.
Thank you

How can i look at this myself

Thank you

How can i look at this myself

You would need to sign up to one of the genealogy sites - Ancestry or findmypast - I think they both still do a free trial but be careful to cancel before your trial ends if you don't want to continue.

Im registered on ancestry i found blanche and sarah at monica road, just having trouble with Robert still cant find it

I don't use Ancestry, he appears on findmypast.

Try searching for Gladys W Jones, born 1897. That gives a Warwickshire result but I can't be sure if it's the right one.

Im having trouble finding them could you send me the details that are on the one you found for the 39 register please
Will look now thank you.
Im having trouble finding them for some reason. Could you send me all the details that are on your one from the 1939 register please
do you know roberts date of birth

lyn
1922 i always thought he married in 1946 and died in 1954 he was 32. i can only find the marriage certificate, death certificate and the probate will. Nothing else.

Gladys W Jones b 5 Nov 1897, domestic duties
Robert W Jones b 21 Nov 1921, Capstan Lathe Hand
Dennis Jones b 6 Feb 1925, Cost Office ?

Don't know where Robert's father (William Owen Jones) was.

Robert's death appears to be registered Bham, Jun qtr 1954.

Gladys' maiden was Shirley, which you may already know.

Thank you so much
I know nothing about the jones side of my family, how did you find william owen jones as father and gladys maiden name Shirley. You are a professional at this will put it in my tree see if i can find more

Mother's maiden name (mmn) appears on birth registers.
So Robert's birth record would show the surname Shirley as mmn.

• Appreciate
Thank you so much
I know nothing about the jones side of my family, how did you find william owen jones as father and gladys maiden name Shirley. You are a professional at this will put it in my tree see if i can find more

It appears that William Jones and Gladys Shirley was reg. Jun qtr 1919 Merthyr Tydfil (district).

Shirley family is easy to trace, Jones family less so. On 1921 census his birthplace is listed as Carnarvon age 23. Unfortunately, there are 4 William Owen Jones registered in Carnarvon about that time and others in Carnarvonshire.

william jones was from merthyr Tydfil wales. I had a middle name of arovan but nan could of spelt that wrong. Ive never heard of it.so do you think Gladys is welsh too and they moved to Birmingham and had children there,there was supposed to be a third child Arthur never could find him either.

No Gladys appears to have been in Bham, possibly Balsall Heath, the daughter of Herbert Shirley and Emily Martha Wise.

Gladys and William certainly married in the Merthyr Tydfil area but as said on the 1921 census he puts his birthplace as Carnarvon. That's only from the transcript, the actual scan may show something else.

william jones was from merthyr Tydfil wales. I had a middle name of arovan but nan could of spelt that wrong. Ive never heard of it.so do you think Gladys is welsh too and they moved to Birmingham and had children there,there was supposed to be a third child Arthur never could find him either.
Was gladys born in wales or Birmingham can find her name and year of birth in both. It gets so confusing. I have spent hours on this over the years.

No Gladys appears to have been in Bham, possibly Balsall Heath, the daughter of Herbert Shirley and Emily Martha Wise.

Gladys and William certainly married in the Merthyr Tydfil area but as said on the 1921 census he puts his birthplace as Carnarvon. That's only from the transcript, the actual scan may show something else.
Why can i not find this information

Why can i not find this info

1921 census is only on Find My Past. You can pay just to buy the record once you have registered.
The rest should be on Ancestry as well.

Was gladys born in wales or Birmingham can find her name and year of birth in both. It gets so confusing. I have spent hours on this over the years.
Gladys Winifred Shirley (mmn Wise) birth registered last quarter of 1897 in King's Norton. That fits dob of 5 Nov from 1939 register.
The other birth for a Gladys Shirley is in Aldridge but is in second quarter (Apr, may jun) so can be ignored.

• Appreciate
Unfortunately, I don't think electoral rolls are available online for Lyndon Road as Olton comes under Solihull and not Birmingham.
So we cannot trace residence.

Question for NickieJ - how well do you know Birmingham and area?

Last edited:
It looks as if Gladys, immediately prior to her marriage, was in the Womens RAF. However, I cannot be certain it is the right person.

This is on Ancestry

Attachments

• Gladys WRAF.jpg
    Gladys WRAF.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Appreciate
Back