• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Regina Drive, Perry Barr

Shera

true brummie
I wonder if anyone knows what this house was or who would have lived there. Its right beside Perry Barr One Stop Shopping Centre on Regina Drive.

P1080954.jpgP1080948.jpg

I wonder if anyone knows what this house was or who would have lived there. Its right beside Perry Barr One Stop Shopping Centre on Regina Drive.
Hi Shera - Have a look here it might be the answer
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Thanks oldmohawk, so it looks like it was the bailiffs house and part of perry hall estate then.

This 1904 map may show the link between Regina Lodge and Perry Hall. The track leading vertically away from Regina Lodge joins the drive for Perry Hall. You can see one of the Perry Hall lodges at the end of the drive where it joins Walsall Road. I'll post a more complete view showing Perry Hall which will explain this better - that is when I can find my map! Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335383717.537061.jpg

Does anyone remember the little cafe at the end of Regina Drive, just by the entrance to Perry Hall Playing Fields?

Big Gee

Is it still there? A whole bunch of us used to fly model aircraft on a Sunday morning at Perry Hall Playing Fields, and would have a Coke and a smoke in the cafe afterwards. It was owned by a very nice elderly lady, as I recall. I haven't been down that way for years.

The other use for Regina Drive when I was a kid was to gain free access to the old speedway track via a handy gap in the concrete fence. Unfortunately the gap was eventually fixed by the authorities, so that was that. Strangely, no-one seemd to mind that we were getting in without paying.

Big Gee

Chris is that the house across from One Stop over the canal only I have often wondered "Who lives in a house like that?".. Jean.

No, I am sure the cafe went a long time ago.
There are still a couple of little firms at the end of Regina Drive.

Chris is that the house across from One Stop over the canal only I have often wondered "Who lives in a house like that?".. Jean.

yes thats the one jean. i was walking along there the other day with peppa after walking through the park and thought i would take some photos to find out more about the house. its so out of place down there now, but it is obviously being used and kept in good order. chris

No, I am sure the cafe went a long time ago.
There are still a couple of little firms at the end of Regina Drive.

If my memory is correct, years ago there was a small company at the end of Regina Drive who did custom work on car-engines. A friend of mine got them to tune the engine in his Moggie Minor and it went like stink afterwards. I'm surprised that there are still some firms down there - another place I must go and re-visit one day.

Big Gee

Thanks oldmohawk, so it looks like it was the bailiffs house and part of perry hall estate then.

Hi Shera. Here's the bigger view of the 1904 map. It looks like Regina Lodge, Home Farm and Park Cottages were all linked as part of the Perry Hall estate looking at the tracks/lanes that link them all. This area fascinates me as you often get little glimpses of its past, such as Regina Lodge. Surprised it's still there. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335734118.038747.jpg

If my memory is correct, years ago there was a small company at the end of Regina Drive who did custom work on car-engines. A friend of mine got them to tune the engine in his Moggie Minor and it went like stink afterwards. I'm surprised that there are still some firms down there - another place I must go and re-visit one day.

Big Gee

The only reason I know about the firms is that my sister and I walked through the park to One Stop from our parent's house in Handsworth Wood when we were staying with them a couple of months ago - I actually hadn't been in Regina Drive for years before then!! Neither my sister or I live in Brum now.

I think one of the places is a timber merchants and the other may have been some sort of garage.

I do visit Perry Hall Playing Fields very occasionally, just for a breath of air, but always use the Perry Avenue entrance because of car-parking.

Also, I've remembered that I knew a chap who lived in Teddington Avenue. His house backed onto the bailiff's house on Regina Drive. I think it was empty for a while and then converted into flats (whoops, sorry - apartments!). In those days the playing fields flooded fairly regularly, until the Tame was banked up.

Big Gee

What a fabulous looking house - I am not surprised it made you wonder who used to live there. The pictures on the link that oldmohawk posted on #2 show that the house has not changed much over the years - even the details on the 'porch' roof remain - amazing.

I have found an advertisement in the Birmingham Daily Post Monday 26 March 1900 for the Perry Barr & District Agricultural & Horticultural society - the second annual show of cattle & horses, sheep, collie dogs, poultry & dairy produce to be held on 15 August 1900 at Perry Hall Park.
Entries are to be posted to John B Ross, Hon. Secretary, Regina Lodge, Perry Barr.

So it seems he may have been living there in 1900.

My wife lived in Teddington grove in the fifties three doors from regina lodge, she says that whoever lived there then kept 2 horses in the back garden for a number of years, also recently we found out that it was part of the perry hall estate and was the servants quarters, obviously they left when the hall fell into disuse. in the sixties it was used as offices. strange to say, in the fifties no-one ever saw anyone going in or out although there were signs of life.

Lots of interesting information from everyone.

I knew of the lodge from the 50's as one of my junior schoolmates lived in Teddington Road. I was sort of aware a large Victorian house looked a bit odd amongst 1930's houses but, being a child, I never wondered what it might be!

Hi, I stumbled across this thread and forum while looking for photos of the house I lived in as a child to show my children! I lived in Regina Lodge from (I think) 1972/3 to 1977.
My Dad was a groundsman with the dog track, and the house came with the job.
At that time the house was divided into two, we lived in the smaller part to the left, and a large family lived next door, a couple of generations I think, but with three small boys that my brothers and I used to play with. They did indeed have a pony in the garden! We used to open our "breakfast room" window and the pony would stick his head in for snacks.
When we lived there it was fairly run down, we didn't use all of the rooms, I think simply because it was damp and hard to heat, and we didn't have enough furniture to fill all of the rooms!
I do remember the bells beside the fireplace that we were often told off for touching because they were still connected to the big kitchen in the other part of the house, and would ring next door.
I remember a large stained glass window on the staircase, with birds, maybe peacocks? One little piece of glass was missing and had been taped up with brown tape.
I also remember sitting on the bedroom window seat to watch the speedway, My brothers and I loved that.
My Mum hated living there, I think because it was cold and damp, and we moved ro Redditch to a "lovely new council house with central heating", when I was 7 years old.
I have such lovely memories of my time in that house though, I think my Mum does too, now. My Dad died in 1987, and a lot of my early memories of him are in that house.
Maybe one of these days I'll go and have a look at it again. I live in Greater Manchester now.

Jeanette
www.lazyseamstress.blogspot.com

hi jeanette and welcome to the forum..how lovely for you to have lived in that house and what smashing memories you have of it....thanks for sharing them with us...

lyn

What lovely photo's Jeanette and thanks for sharing them. Look forward to your posts and welcome to the forum. Jean.

Thanks Jeanette for sharing your memories of that house and your photos. I often looked at the house and wondered what it was, and why its front was on the 'back garden side' of the surrounding houses as can be seen in the aerial view below. I should imagine it was in danger of flooding from the nearby River Tame before they built flood relief measures.
regina_lodge_above.JPG

Some 1947's forum pics of nearby flooding can seen

Last edited:
Oh that aerial photo is fab. I've been explaining the interior layout to my children today, but that makes it much clearer.
The flood photos are interesting too. I remember catching the bus to school along that road...at least I think I do. I went to Great Barr Infants.

Jeanette
www.lazyseamstress.blogspot.com

Hello Jeanette

Would that have been Dorrington road infants as both my Sister and myself went there back in the fifties, we used to live in Dewsbury grove off Perry avenue.

Hello Jeanette

Would that have been Dorrington road infants as both my Sister and myself went there back in the fifties, we used to live in Dewsbury grove off Perry avenue.

I don't know, I remember it being called Great Barr Infants, it was on the same site as the junior and senior school.

Love Jeanette

Hello again Jeanette

Dorrington road, off Rocky lane only had the Infants and Junior Schools, senior pupils attended either Beeches road sec mod, Great Barr comprehensive or the senior Schools in Perry Barr.
Best wishes Nick

Regina Lodge was my family home from 1979 to 2006. It really is a beautiful house and I loved living there. The house did indeed flood while I lived there I think it was 1979, about 6 months after we moved in. I too moved to the Manchester area (Gatley), when I got married in 1987. My parents lived in Regina Lodge until my dad died and my mother sold the house.

Hi Sharon and Jeanette:

You can find some interesting photos of Regina Lodge on the following websites. These websites have copyright rules in place
and I didn't want to break those by posting photos from them. Here are the sites:
Old postcard of Regina Lodge undated:https://www.perrybarrbeyond.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PB - R TO Z.htm

Photo of Lord Baden Powell meeting with Boy Scout Leaders in front of the lodge and
A later photo late 1950's of Regina Lodge, which according to copy became the home of
the bailiff after 1897: https://www.search.digitalhandswort...2&records=397&direction=1&pointer=8022&text=0

Back