• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

I remember seeing some pictures recently but can't think where, it might have been in the Evening Mail, big flood all across by the island and kids playing in it

I remember floods on the Walsall Rd. The Midland Red Buses could only get through to Birmingham by diverting down Church Lane and along the Aldridge Rd over the new bridge. Flood prevention work on the River Tame has solved the flooding problem.

Looking south towards the city
Walsall_Rd_Flood.jpg

Looking north
1947_Walsall_Rd_Floods.jpg

Last edited:
I was born at Dudley road Hospital at 10pm Saturday 25th January 1947, my dad said the snow drifts were so high that he had to walk from the city centre as the bus's and trams were not running.<br>paul

Hi

I came across these two phot's which show the river rising in Tame Rd Witton. I do not know the year, by the looks of the van and peoples clothes probably 60s or 70s. I notice the old railings still in place, not a wall.

regards Stars
58066140_Tame_Rd2C_Witton.jpg
35040780_River_Tame_old_railings_22C_Witton.jpg

Super photos Stars. I started work in that area at a factory called Forgings & Presswork - rivals called it 'Forgings & Guesswork'. It looks like the bricks are probably in position to carry out some wall building.
oldmohawk

I was born at Dudley road Hospital at 10pm Saturday 25th January 1947, my dad said the snow drifts were so high that he had to walk from the city centre as the bus's and trams were not running.<br>paul
Hi Paul... Yes the snow drifts were very high - and when it melted lots of water - some photos of the 1947 winter can be seen via the link below...
oldmohawk
https://www.topham.co.uk/gallery/1947Winter/default.htm

Does anyone have any pics of the 1947 snow in Brum ; there are lots of snow pics from across the country , but few taken in our fair city

My memory of 1946/47 are of my sister being born 28th November 1946. She was a tiny baby in my mother's arms, I was standing by. The ground was heavy with snow, the wind was howling and suddenly, the back fence blew down. I really frightened me at the time, I was three and a half. Mom said that it was weeks and weeks before she could go out with the pram because of the ice.....One of my first memories after seeing my sister minutes after she was born..............

I remember so well my Dad and his brother chopping a tree down in what had been Ward End Hall Estate , where Overpool Road is now. The tree fell onto the ice of the pool, and didn't even crack it it was so thick. They, and several other men , cut the log up into pieces small enough to go on the fire at home, took the place of coal which was in very short supply due to the severe winter conditions. In fact I had to go down to Saltley Gas works and queue up for a pramful of coke during this time. Good old times.
- not b. likely.
Strange to think my adult kids have never seen a piece of coal or coke !

I remember walking to school in all that snow in 1947 I was 5 at the time and only myself and a boy called Lesly turned for our class.

The only one about the snow of that winter is this. It was taken in our back yard in Bromford Lane. I was born in November 1946 and my parents were forever telling me about the bad snows at that time. It looks like it didn't worry me at the time of the photo, I'd probably had a bellyfull of milk! And the pram looks big enough to have been on the Normandy beaches.

Bromford_Lane_Winter_1946_47.jpg

I would have been nine years old during the Winter of 1947. I recall heavy snowfall and having to walk to school, which I usually did, but with snow up to my armpits in places. I think most children turned up for school but in those days they did and so did most of the teaching staff.

The problem today, I understand, is that so many teachers live long distances from where they teach: hence school closures. Plus many 'car' to school nowadays instead of walking. I look forward to school holiday periods: the roads are so much quieter.

What a great thread and thanks to those who have reinstated their photo's. Great to read.

Hi All,

Poor me. In the winter of 1947 I was in the Far East with the Royal Navy. I remember sitting in a cinema in Singapore wearing my whites and shorts watching a newsreel of the snow and ice back home. I thought, what are they moaning about? they should try putting up with the heat here. That,s me folk. I never was sympathetic.

Excellent photographs though.
Thanks.

Old Boy

Last edited:
Just watched a program on telly about the Winter of 1963 and realised it is 50 years since we lived through the worse winter for 200 years.
It brought back memories of frozen sea, frozen rivers, underground water pipes to our houses frozen solid and electrical welding equipment needed to unfreeze the pipes. Coal shortages led to electric power cuts. A three day thaw at the end of January led us to think the 'big freeze' was ending but no, the freeze came back with a vengeance and lasted until the end of March.

Back