• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

You can't break them now Carolina as they are usually not tangible, like the money if you have any in your bank account. They are on Blackberrys and things. Not that I understand them.
More detestable than Sing Summat Simple to me was Stars on Sunday.
I did love Meg and Tone, Anona Animal Mineral or Vegetable Wyn, Cliff Michelmore and his wife. Crowther's Crowd. Ramona Proby and the bloke who said Yak ee dah. Joyce Grenfell. Juke Box Jury. Kathy Kirby on Billy Cotton. The New Christie Minstrels. My nan and my Gt Gran Liked SSS though. I learned many old songs because of it. Nan called Mrs Dale's Diary Mother Dairl's Dairy. Jessie did have a nice singing voice. I used to impersonate Eartha Kitt as a toddler, I want an oooooold fash ioned, house, with an ooooold fash ioned fence, and an ooooold fash ioned me e e e e elionaire, nanny goat style, and Marlene Dietrichs, fallink een luff again, neffa vanted to etc, Nan called her Marlayner Dirtybitch.

And Nan liked her! Nan was very funny. We had a local clairvoyant who got famous so I can't name her but Nan said. 'er ay mooch cop, ar stood be'iyned 'er in the Co-Op, er dow wash 'er neck! Nan liked Anne Shelton and David Whitfield, Grandad like Donald Peers.

Two more items..........I thought I had already posted something about this unless its in a different thread but anyway I will post it here , Does anyone remember some experimental Stereophonic bradcasts the BBC did at some point during Saturday Mornings probably late 50s or early 60s?

This was many years before radio transmissions in stereo were broadcast and the availablity of a radio capable of stereo reproduction were marketed so in order to accomplish the phemomenon they used the TV transmission for one channel and one of the radio (VHF/FM) channels for the other so you used both a TV set and radio and if spaced as instructed you recieved a real stereo broadcast signal, or rather two , I seem to remember they broadcast classical music maybe for an hour or so. I dont know if these experimental broadcasts used to same techniques that were adopted later.

The other point......... Archie Andrews accompanied by Brough? is that right? was to say the least an odd act, a radio ventriloquist no less. there is an hillarious bit of footage showing Brough and Archie Andrews, it has been shown on TV, were Brough who was not a brilliant ventriloquist was "chatting" to Archie with his mouth behind a huge cigar and despite the huge cigar you could still see his mouth moving .

Was that Educating Archie? Somebody had a stooge or a doll called Daisy May. I remember Sausage Dog. I liked Lenny the Lion.I used to read comic with Harol Hare in.Our TV sound is good that we have now. If its something spooky or even birdsong, it sound like its coming down the chimney.They talk now on radio 2 about radio ventriloquists, wrapping parcels ont the radio and sheepdog trials...on the radio. I like the radio though it makes you use your imagine more. I like radio plays with sound effects. They can be really spooky. Like the original film The Haunting. It's what what you heard and didn't see. No need for special effects. Mum used to impersonate Beryl Reid impersonating a Brummie or a Black Counytry girl with a stooge called Marlene. Dyow like me eeeeeeareeengs? And she would grab something like s star off the Christmas tree and dangle from her ear.

Does The Team Think. I remember that show. Double Your Money. Beat The Clock. Cuckoo In The Nest. The Pyramid Game. Quick On The Draw.
Liked all those.

Two more items..........I thought I had already posted something about this unless its in a different thread but anyway I will post it here , Does anyone remember some experimental Stereophonic bradcasts the BBC did at some point during Saturday Mornings probably late 50s or early 60s?
Hi Bill, I remember those broadcasts and tried them out, I also remembered them in the earlier thread !
In the early 60's I built a stereo amplifier, went up town to buy a stereo record and all they had got was Stravinsky's Firebird - didn't really want it but I needed something to test my stereo...:encouragement:

Reading through all this thread on "The Radio" brought so many memories to me prior to 1958 as thats when l left for the big T....loved listening to the radio when we were kids we did'nt need a picture to look at our imagination did it for us, especially "the man in black" no that was scarey...of course all the music programmes all that have been mentioned, loved Sunday for the forces favourites, that was a must for my brother and me....never did get radio luxemberg, but a neighbour did and everytime a favourite was announced to play he would come around tell me and l'd rush to his house to hear it (no telephones in those days),.... my mind has gone blank now would someone old enough out there tell me the name of the programme who had winnie and horace in it.....you younger members would'nt know who l was talking about...l also remember listening to victor sylvester (slow slow quick quick slow etc) teaching a dance lesson on the radio....also listening to a young julie andrews singing accomponed by her mother playing piano.....Brenda

Reading through all this thread on "The Radio" brought so many memories to me prior to 1958 as thats when l left for the big T....loved listening to the radio when we were kids we did'nt need a picture to look at our imagination did it for us, especially "the man in black" no that was scarey...of course all the music programmes all that have been mentioned, loved Sunday for the forces favourites, that was a must for my brother and me....never did get radio luxemberg, but a neighbour did and everytime a favourite was announced to play he would come around tell me and l'd rush to his house to hear it (no telephones in those days),.... my mind has gone blank now would someone old enough out there tell me the name of the programme who had winnie and horace in it.....you younger members would'nt know who l was talking about...l also remember listening to victor sylvester (slow slow quick quick slow etc) teaching a dance lesson on the radio....also listening to a young julie andrews singing accomponed by her mother playing piano.....Brenda

I remember "The Man in Black", Valentine Dyall wasn't it ? He had a deep sinister voice.
"Dick Barton, Special Agent", we kids used to love galloping around the place singing the theme tune.
"Journey into Space", later, "The Clitheroe Kid", Archie Andrews was mentioned, looking at a photo of the act I can't tell which one is the dummy !
Beryl Reid's Marlene used to say "Good evening each", it became quite a catch phrase at the time.

Was that Educating Archie? Somebody had a stooge or a doll called Daisy May. I remember Sausage Dog. I liked Lenny the Lion.I used to read comic with Harol Hare in.Our TV sound is good that we have now. If its something spooky or even birdsong, it sound like its coming down the chimney.They talk now on radio 2 about radio ventriloquists, wrapping parcels ont the radio and sheepdog trials...on the radio. I like the radio though it makes you use your imagine more. I like radio plays with sound effects. They can be really spooky. Like the original film The Haunting. It's what what you heard and didn't see. No need for special effects. Mum used to impersonate Beryl Reid impersonating a Brummie or a Black Counytry girl with a stooge called Marlene. Dyow like me eeeeeeareeengs? And she would grab something like s star off the Christmas tree and dangle from her ear.
Daisy May and Saveen also had a talking dog called Butch (I think)

When I was little, my Dad bought me a Crystal Set radio from Chas Young's shop in Corporation St. The set had a 'cats whisker' which had to be carefully adjusted to touch a good spot on the crystal in order to hear a program.

I loved the radio too, in the early mid fifty's before we had a telly, I to remember 'Dick Barton', my dad would have 'forces favourites' on, no Sunday was ever complete without it, and of course 'Archie Andrew's', 'round the horn', and all the other's mentioned, , thinking back we did't have much but were so much more contented.
paul

Yes as mum used to say, we ay got much money but we ave a laugh. You probably had 'more' than people have today especially children. Mum used to imitate a vent who had a doll called Jennifer. In a tiny voice. I liked Ray Allen with Lord Charles, and Titch and Quackers. Bleep and Booster. And Bengo. Thunderbirds. They played the Maria song recently from Stingray. and Fireball Excell 5. Loved Hida Baker when she had to go and see the peee-eeedickeetrist and when asked tge time, said it's half past... oh I must get a little hand on this watch, Be soon I said be soon! I am digressing to TV again sorry. Are the Hudlines still going?

When I was little, my Dad bought me a Crystal Set radio from Chas Young's shop in Corporation St. The set had a 'cats whisker' which had to be carefully adjusted to touch a good spot on the crystal in order to hear a program.

I was bought a crystal set too. I was familiar with the type where everything was laid out and visible but this model was a little cabinet made of bakelite with a tuning knob on the front.
I woke up one morning and, putting the headphones on, I could hear nothing but the chiming of a church bell that just went on and on.
I thought there was something wrong with the set but it turned out that the bell was ringing because Queen Mary had died.
(That's gooin' backabit, as they say !).

A bloke at Fisher's made me a crystal set. He put all the works in a wooden box. I bet if I had a scratch around I probably still have it. Never throw much away, it might be useful one day. It worked perfectly well at the time. It had a germanium crystal diode instead of the cats whisker, which averted the need to keep twiddling the knob to get a better signal.

Bought the Fireball XL 5 record when it first came out (what musical taste I had). Also had a crystal set with headphones that I used to listen to under the bed clothes when I should have been asleep.

I remember now I upgraded my crystal set soldering in a germanium diode, such luxury no more twiddling !
Crystal sets needed long wire aerials high up, a bit worrying when lightning was about, and a good earth was also needed.
Anyone remember adverts on Radio Luxembourg from Horace Batchelor for his Infra Draw method for winning the football pools. I used to think, if it was any good, why didn't he use it himself.

Indeed, most of the people and programmes mentioned here are within memory. Horace B of course was based near Bristol at Keynsham, spelled Key............

Did no one ever hear of Keynsham before or know how it was spelt? lol

One difference about tv in the earlier days was that the programmes were broken by periodic advertisements; commencement, middle and finally the end. Nowadays it seems the other way around: adverts interrupted by programmes. There was a time when, on an Independent television (i.e. adverts mode) programme a half hour programme lasted more or less twenty five minutes. Now, it seems, it is abridged to twenty minutes.

My wife, incidentally, can do an excellent 'Birmingham' accent despite she being a born Devonian. Beryl Reid, previously mentioned, I gather, was born in Hereford of Scottish parenthood. Although she grew up in Manchester it seems.

Radio Luxemburgh always played "at the end of the day just kneel and pray" when it closed down at 1 or 2 am perhaps they were praying that radio 1 never started :)

Hi all. "Radio Days" What happy memories this thread brings. "Journey Into Space" crapping myself listening to it, all in the mind. Guy Kingsly Pointer as Doc. "Saturday Night Theater". Another one where the mind was better than all the special effects. Eamon Andrews commentating on the Boxing. There was also a chap on Radio 2 in the mid sixties named Dwight Riley, who for me, had the perfect voice for radio, clear pronunciation and perfect diction. And what a great con trick that was, a Ventriloquist on the wireless, but as I said, it was all in the mind. Keep the memories coming, great thread.
jimbo

Thought I was repeating a few earlier posts as I've just had a read through the Radio Shops Hurst Street thread - a bit technical but they had some great ex RAF and Army surplus kit in the shops in that street. I bought an ex RAF R1155 which was used in Lancaster bombers, it was great, big dials loads of switches....

Old mohawk, R1155 was a wonderful receiver and went well with the R1154 transmitter, reminds me of happy times on Lancasters, you must have had some means of stepping the voltage down ??? I think the Lanc used a 24 volt DC system (could be wrong, it was 60 years ago). Eric

Last edited:
Hi Bill, I remember those broadcasts and tried them out, I also remembered them in the earlier thread !
In the early 60's I built a stereo amplifier, went up town to buy a stereo record and all they had got was Stravinsky's Firebird - didn't really want it but I needed something to test my stereo...:encouragement:

Ah, right so there was an earlier thread, thought so but I couldn't find it, apologies all round :)

I used to listen to Radio Luxemburg but for the life of me I cannot remember a single programme, I think it was a commercial station (with adverts ???) I think the only other stations were the light programme, home service and the high brow third programme, (plus umpteen short wave stations if you had a suitable receiver)

Old mohawk, R1155 was a wonderful receiver and went well with the R1154 transmitter, reminds me of happy times on Lancasters, you must have had some means of stepping the voltage down ??? I think the Lanc used a 24 volt DC system (could be wrong, it was 60 years ago). Eric
Hi Eric, Now you mention it I do faintly remember problems with the power supply, but I had a collection of transformers and inverters so must have used something. I was ok when radios had valves, but when transistors and integrated circuits appeared, radios did not seem so interesting.
Phil

I remember now I upgraded my crystal set soldering in a germanium diode, such luxury no more twiddling !
Crystal sets needed long wire aerials high up, a bit worrying when lightning was about, and a good earth was also needed.
Anyone remember adverts on Radio Luxembourg from Horace Batchelor for his Infra Draw method for winning the football pools. I used to think, if it was any good, why didn't he use it himself.

Remember Horace Batchelor well, he must have made a packet out of that scam. People were taken in by his spiel, hoping to make their fortune.

Back