• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Radio

Hi Frothy: You must have missed my Wiki link about the Shipping forecast...snap:):):)

OOPS!. Didn't see it Jennyann. Sorry
40.gif

I remember the anouncer always started the first shipping forecast of the day so " Good Morning Gentlemen and here is todays shipping forecast". He probabley wore a bow tie while reciting it and I doubt any of the skippers were female in those days.
As a kid I loved the radio and all through my life I have had one close at hand, My tastes have varied over the years but appear to have come full circle. Comedy , Drama and book readings are again my favourites and like many of you my station of choice is BBC 7. I now truly appreciate the descriptive prose of Charles Dickens, perhaps because I now I have time to sit and listen to it. BBC7 is starting Bulldog Drummond this weekend. The only problem is CBBC takes the 6am>8am slot when I realy need some comedy input. I find the news deppressing and repetative. ( sorry about the spelling, I am using my G'kids computer after a sleepover and it has no spell checker ).

I'd forgotten about the "Good Morning Gentlemen", delightfully British! We are lucky, Arkrite, that there's so much stuff in the archive, though much has gone missing, For example, 290 editions of 'The Clitheroe Kid' were made and only 53 survive. As you may know, Radio 7 have broadcast some classics that were restorations from home recordings submitted by listeners.

hello everyone if you liked round the horn its as mohawk said radio7 fridays at 8am then repeated 12noon and 7pm. also if there are any goon show fans out there radion7 thursdays at 8am then repeated at 12noon and 7 pm. happy listening formula t.

I remember all the programmes mentioned, the politeness and good english from all the presenters. I remember the 'BALANCE of PAYMENTS' and all the political announcements, and I have read an article this week that says the radio listeners numbers are soaring.

hello everyone if you liked round the horn its as mohawk said radio7 fridays at 8am then repeated 12noon and 7pm. also if there are any goon show fans out there radion7 thursdays at 8am then repeated at 12noon and 7 pm. happy listening formula t.

Hello Formula t, and a warm welcome to the Forum, always good to be in the company of a fan of classic radio!

I remember all the programmes mentioned, the politeness and good english from all the presenters. I remember the 'BALANCE of PAYMENTS' and all the political announcements, and I have read an article this week that says the radio listeners numbers are soaring.

Long may they do so, Stitcher. I was glad to see that idiotic plan to turn off the analogue signal was ditched. Yes, the balance of payments figures were one of the great 'totems' of British politics at one time, they've hardly had a mention in the last 2 decades.

I can remember listening to the Boxing with my dad because he was involved in the sport. Ingamar Johanson, Henry Cooper. Randolph Turpin and all the others. In my opinion, radio fifty -sixty years ago was more interesting than modern day TV.

Im glad to see there are quite a few" Round the Horne " enthusiasts! I seem to remember it was a spin of from the earlier" Beyond Our ken" Kenneth Horne, the dapper link between the variuos sketches was the Managing Director of, what I have been told , several Midland based Companies. One of them I seem to remember being the "Chad Valley" toy company, can anyone confirm this?

Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick aka Jewel and Sand were of course two very camp characters played by two very camp characters!! But their constant innuendo to me at about 14 years old was hillarious even if I did not appreciate the full meaning of some of the scripts.

More interestingly they both made quite open references to homosexuality which was , I think, still illegal in the mid 60s and the language they used was genuinely used by the Gay community ie "ello Mr Horne how nice to varda your eek" In other words how nice to see you.

The scripts were written by Marty Feldman and Barry Took two very talented script writers. The former had a short lived TV show again very entertaining but requiring a viewer with a certain type of humour.
I well remember his character going into a library and asking if they had a copy of a book called "Ethel the aardvark goes quantity surveying"...................priceless!!:D

Bill, you and I have so much in common on this! I can indeed confirm that KH was Chairman of The Chad Valley Company and Triplex Safety Glass (later to become part of Pilkingtons), he gave up his business interests because of ill-health, and concentrated on comedy - it's an ill wind, etc! I have his biography, written by Norman Hackforth (remember him, 20 questions, etc?)

RTH (March 1965-June 1968) was the successor to Beyond our Ken (1958-1964)

I could talk forever about RTH but, briefly, Julian and Sandy were based on 2 real-life characters, the language (palare: pronounced pall-are-ee, for those who haven't had the pleasure) was largely based on gypsy and fairground slang. Another quick e.g.: 'This omi came trolling round to my lattie and let his riah right down' means: this man walked around to my house and let his hair right down. This palare was indeed used by homosexuals for covert conversations, homosexuality being illegal in the UK until 1967. I was the same age as you, Bill, and I don't remember having a clue about that side of it then but I still found it hilarious, which just goes to show what can be accomplished with innuendo. It's a pity that some of today's performers (and audiences) can't stretch their imaginations any further than swearing and filth.

Some later scripts were penned by Donald Webster, Johnnie Mortimer and Brian Cooke.

I've had some funny looks when I've mentioned 'Ethel the Ardvark', I'm glad someone else remembers it!

If you or anyone else hasn't heard today's edition on Radio 7, catch it on the repeat tonight at 7pm or use the i-player. If you know it and love it, or want to try it out, I promise you a vintage, truly classic edition: it contains my all-time favourite play, about ancient Rome - hear Ken Williiams doing what he called his 'Felix Aylmer voice' as the slave-owner. 42 years since I first heard it, and for the umpteenth time at that, I still crease up laughing. BONA!

"Yes, the balance of payments figures were one of the great 'totems' of British politics at one time, they've hardly had a mention in the last 2 decades".quote Stitcher

I think they the call them " Trade Figures " now and you only hear them mentioned on the business programmes,unless they are very good in which case every politician claims credit for them. Just what we now export with such a small industrial base is a bit of a mystery. I reckon we import from abroad and then sell and export the same stuff. A bit like Dellboy.

Gay comedy is now coarse and far to " In your face" to be enjoyable by the likes of me. So many of the past comedians were Gay and expressed it openly on the Radio and TV. They were no less loved by the public than their straight counterparts. Kenneth Williams ,in my opinion, was one of the very top comedians this country has produced.

Bill, you and I have so much in common on this! I can indeed confirm that KH was Chairman of The Chad Valley Company and Triplex Safety Glass (later to become part of Pilkingtons), he gave up his business interests because of ill-health, and concentrated on comedy - it's an ill wind, etc! I have his biography, written by Norman Hackforth (remember him, 20 questions, etc?)

RTH (March 1965-June 1968) was the successor to Beyond our Ken (1958-1964)

I could talk forever about RTH but, briefly, Julian and Sandy were based on 2 real-life characters, the language (palare: pronounced pall-are-ee, for those who haven't had the pleasure) was largely based on gypsy and fairground slang. Another quick e.g.: 'This omi came trolling round to my lattie and let his riah right down' means: this man walked around to my house and let his hair right down. This palare was indeed used by homosexuals for covert conversations, homosexuality being illegal in the UK until 1967. I was the same age as you, Bill, and I don't remember having a clue about that side of it then but I still found it hilarious, which just goes to show what can be accomplished with innuendo. It's a pity that some of today's performers (and audiences) can't stretch their imaginations any further than swearing and filth.

Some later scripts were penned by Donald Webster, Johnnie Mortimer and Brian Cooke.

I've had some funny looks when I've mentioned 'Ethel the Ardvark', I'm glad someone else remembers it!

If you or anyone else hasn't heard today's edition on Radio 7, catch it on the repeat tonight at 7pm or use the i-player. If you know it and love it, or want to try it out, I promise you a vintage, truly classic edition: it contains my all-time favourite play, about ancient Rome - hear Ken Williiams doing what he called his 'Felix Aylmer voice' as the slave-owner. 42 years since I first heard it, and for the umpteenth time at that, I still crease up laughing. BONA!

Bonnaria!!

Looks like we have a shared gene with this comedy Mowhawk, I have a CD with many of these programmes on and somewhere about he house another CD with quite a few of Rambling Sid Rumpoe,s ditties on it.
My favourite being one that is sung to the tune of "Widicombe Fair" an absolute classic but I dont think I can safely quote any of the lyrics here as it might upset the more delicate viewer:rolleyes:

"Yes, the balance of payments figures were one of the great 'totems' of British politics at one time, they've hardly had a mention in the last 2 decades".quote Stitcher

I think they the call them " Trade Figures " now and you only hear them mentioned on the business programmes,unless they are very good in which case every politician claims credit for them. Just what we now export with such a small industrial base is a bit of a mystery. I reckon we import from abroad and then sell and export the same stuff. A bit like Dellboy.

Gay comedy is now coarse and far to " In your face" to be enjoyable by the likes of me. So many of the past comedians were Gay and expressed it openly on the Radio and TV. They were no less loved by the public than their straight counterparts. Kenneth Williams ,in my opinion, was one of the very top comedians this country has produced.

Agreed, Arkwrite, about KW, he's still making us laugh long after he took his leave. As for exports, I'll tell you what's been one of this country's biggest exports in recent years - jobs.

Bonnaria!!

Looks like we have a shared gene with this comedy Mowhawk, I have a CD with many of these programmes on and somewhere about he house another CD with quite a few of Rambling Sid Rumpoe,s ditties on it.
My favourite being one that is sung to the tune of "Widicombe Fair" an absolute classic but I dont think I can safely quote any of the lyrics here as it might upset the more delicate viewer:rolleyes:

Hello me deario, I'll take a chance with an extract from one of my favourites, to the tune of 'The Lincolnshire Poacher' :

"Oh once I took my moulies and I set them in a snare.
Twas then I spied a scropers man a'whirdling a hare.
But I was not afeared my boys of that there is no doubt.
Oh tis my delight on a shining night when the coppers aren't about"

Hope that doesn't get anyone's cordwangle in a tangle!

hello mohawk was it The Lincolnshire Poacher where the poor lad had his moulies nailed to the fence. formula t

hello mohawk was it The Lincolnshire Poacher where the poor lad had his moulies nailed to the fence. formula t

Another good one, that! No, that was to 'Clementine' and I nearly posted that one! Have a vada at this:

"Oh they hung him by the postern,
Nailed his moulie to the fence -
For to warn all young cordwanglers
That it was a grave offence."

A warning to us all.

I always wondered what "German Bite" was??

Paul, if you look at post #18 on this thread, there's a link to Wikipedia that explains the shipping forecast, that article has links to all the regions, including German Bight. It's west of Jutland, roughly!

I have just thought of a few more Radio bits. Childrens Favourites on Saturday Morning, Housewives Choice Mon to Fri, On occasions this was introduced by amonst others, Godfrey Wynn.

There was another thing I remember and I cant really decide if it was part of the news or what but it invilved the prices of food, probably broadcast on the home service and it always made me feel hungry. From what I remember it was just a voice reading out the market prices of food comodities,, presumably for farmers etc, what a mine of information the radio used to be. all we have now is mainly gibberish from some self important DJ !

A few feet from where I am typing this I have a vintage Birmingham made Eddystone short wave reciever model 730/4, I think we have done this subject before but I wonder if it ever had to reproduce the shipping forcast?

The last time I used it all I could find on the shortwave was an American preacher. Yet back a few decades the shortwave would have been crowded with transmissions from all over the world.

Some more great memories come flooding back, Bill. I imagine the commodity prices still feature on 'Farming Today' on Radio 4, though I haven't caught up in many years on the latest prices for pork bellies!

Housewives' Choice was indeed presented by many people over its near 20-year run, a lot of whom got themselves 'noticed' for their presenting skills having come from other walks of the entertainment industry. One such, who became an elder statesman of radio, was Jimmy Young. The programme was, however, largely the preserve of "Mrs Elrick's wee lad George" as he often styled himself; he had been a bandleader and musician. The others usually got their chance when he was on holiday or off sick. I expect most of us who remember the programme can hear the theme music!

I used to spend ages scanning the short-wave, I had no idea it was so barren these days.

Bill, my husband would love your radio!

I remember Al Read on Sunday afternoons in the '60s, but can't recall any details. He was a northerner, that's all I remember (although where I live now, Berkshire, they refer to Birmingham as 'the north').

Bill, my husband would love your radio!

I remember Al Read on Sunday afternoons in the '60s, but can't recall any details. He was a northerner, that's all I remember (although where I live now, Berkshire, they refer to Birmingham as 'the north').

He was a Lancastrian, Maria. He actually had a sausage and pie-making business and was inspired to start after-dinner speaking by real-life characters that he'd encountered. He once recalled how he met one of the most notable of these, a decorator who, on being invited to quote for some work at his home, virtually told Al the place was about to fall down. His most memorable catchphrase was "Right monkey!", the use of which really caught on, not least with my mother. He can still be heard on BBC Radio 7, though sadly, like so many other classic shows of the day, many of his recordings have been lost.

He was a Lancastrian, Maria. He actually had a sausage and pie-making business and was inspired to start after-dinner speaking by real-life characters that he'd encountered. He once recalled how he met one of the most notable of these, a decorator who, on being invited to quote for some work at his home, virtually told Al the place was about to fall down. His most memorable catchphrase was "Right monkey!", the use of which really caught on, not least with my mother. He can still be heard on BBC Radio 7, though sadly, like so many other classic shows of the day, many of his recordings have been lost.

My mother also used to quote that!

No bells ringing this time, OM - enlighten me please!
Youngmohawk - In the good old days of the 'Cold War' the Russians continually transmitted a tapping sound for 'over the horizon radar' and if you enter 'the woodpecker transmission on shortwave' into Google there is a wiki article about it. Also the East Germans used to have a female voice reading groups of five numbers for hours - sounded like 'funf funf sieben acht neun', they were instructions to their spys in the West. I also used to listen to the 'Kremlin Chimes' from Moscow preceding their view of the news.
oldmohawk:)

When I have a few moments I will get this "Eddystone" up and working, it really is quiet a piece of kit and it weights a ton! I will scan the ether later in the week and report back if I pick anything up with my high tec 20ft bit of copper wire!!

https://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/519/2962.html

Going back to RTH let us not forget Dame Celia Molestrangler and ageing juvenile Binky Hukkerback :)

I remember the female reading out the numbers. Radio Moscow was the best comedy show on the radio if you had a weird sense of humour. Is Voice of America still going and its mate Vatican Radio ? The Marine band could be interesting but it has all gone satellite now and beyond my understanding.
I am still exploreing streamed radio on the internet. Some interesting local stations around the world but nothing worth mentioning. I think AFN is still going.

Back