• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Does anyone know the name of the pub that was almost opposite Harry Lucas School in Farm St Hockley please.
I can't remember it and it's driving me nuts.
Thanks in anticipation
NoddKD.

Does anyone know the name of the pub that was almost opposite Harry Lucas School in Farm St Hockley please.
I can't remember it and it's driving me nuts.
Thanks in anticipation
NoddKD.
off the top of my head nodd i think that would have been the fountain pub which was next to friends hall...should be a photo of it on the forum..maybe on the farm st thread

lyn

Last edited:
That was quick. Thanks to both of you. Lynn,slightly worried about fiends Hall. I didn't realise such a scary place existed.
NoddKD, scardy cat.

hi nodd i never found it scary...we used to use friends hall for extra lessons when i attended farm st school...from memory i believe its original use was for adult male education in the very early 1900s...great to see it still stands and is being used

hi nodd i never found it scary...we used to use friends hall for extra lessons when i attended farm st school...from memory i believe its original use was for adult male education in the very early 1900s...great to see it still stands and is being used

Hi Lynn,just a little fun with a typo;re-read your original answer to me.
Naughty Nodd.

ha ha now i see it nodd...i am not going to edit my post...will leave them on to give others a laff :D :D :D but back to the topic...at least you now know the name of the pub

lyn

Last edited:
No mention of pub landlord James Underwood in 1910 Kellys
In 1913 Kellys (referring probably to 1912) James Underwood was at the New Inns
In 1915 Kellys (probably referring to 1914), James was at the Coach & horses, 93 Spring Hill
In 1921 and 1924 Kellys (probably referring to 1920 and 1923 respectively) James was at the Frighted Horse...
Hello, I am doing some research on my family background. Do you know the name of James's wife? It is my understanding that he had a son called William and his wife was Violet, do you know if there was any more syblings?

any information would be muchly appreciated!

Kind regards, Brooke

hi brooke and welcome if you are researching the name underwood...could you re post your request under the letter U in our sub section of the surname interests section of the forum please..i am sure someone will be able to help you..

lyn

Back