• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

This is the perfect area, I see the secondary modern school he went to, I will ask if he lived on the other side of new St. John st and the check out and register st old maps, thanks for the link

I'm a bit late joining in with this, but I came across a photograph of a Hospital Street pub posted elsewhere and there seemed to be some confusion as to where it was. I landed on this thread and found it useful, but around 2008 there seemed to some confusion here, or was it lost memories? I have attached the photograph, which was either St Georges Tavern/Inn, "The Lights" (Was that a nickname? If so why), The Vulcan or the name The Vine also got thrown in (Inn) for good measure. I've also attached a map showing the location of The St Georges Tavern (just along Tower Street from St Georges Church) in 1961. I'm sure this will not add much to the discussion, but I suspect this is one of BHF's "lost" photographs as it was refered to (in 2008) as being next door to houses with front gardens - rare in this neck of the woods I think.St Georges Tavern, Hospital Street & Tower Street - 1961.jpgSt Georges Tavern, Tower Street - copy.jpg

that is definately st georges tavern corner of hospital st and tower st..the vulcan was on the corner of hospital st and new john st west..here is the vulcan and a not so good one of st georges tavern

lyn

Attachments

• VULCAN INN THE HOSPITAL ST 1959.JPG
    VULCAN INN THE HOSPITAL ST 1959.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Newtown St  Georges Tavern Hospital St Tower St.jpg
    Newtown St Georges Tavern Hospital St Tower St.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Yes Lyn what a great picture of The Lights, I’m told it got this name because of the huge lights that once hung over it’s doors.

i agree moss..great photo of the st georges tavern/the lights that outercircle bus has posted...must say i cant recall seeing it before

lyn

Yes and a first for me Lyn. I came across this today I think it was copied from a book called Lost Pubs of Birmingham.

Attachments

• The Lights-003.jpg
    The Lights-003.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 16
wow...thanks moss what a pub it must have been and how tragic that we have lost so many:(:mad:

lyn

I never see any mention of the Pelican on the forum, I seem to recall it being quite a popular watering hole in Newtown at one point? I remember they used to have a good darts team in the early 70's. Yet another pub gone, I'd never be surprised if they didn't reconstruct one & put it in a museum to tell future generations what they were.

Lozellian.

I never see any mention of the Pelican on the forum, I seem to recall it being quite a popular watering hole in Newtown at one point? I remember they used to have a good darts team in the early 70's. Yet another pub gone, I'd never be surprised if they didn't reconstruct one & put it in a museum to tell future generations what they were.

Lozellian.
I'm sure this has been posted on the forum before. I remember remarking as to why a M&B pub would have such a large advertisement for it's biggest business rival Ansells on it's roof :confused:

I'm sure this has been posted on the forum before. I remember remarking as to why a M&B pub would have such a large advertisement for it's biggest business rival Ansells on it's roof :confused:

Hi jmadone,

I've got to admit as I was not a regular of the Pelican, I've never seen the advertisement you speak of, do you know of any photos that show the ad?

Lozellian.

i think the ansells sign is some sort of photographic trickery...if you zoom in to it it just does not look as though its attached to the roof

lyn

Hi Astoness,

I know nothing of this mysterious sign, is there an image of this phenomenon on the BHF that you're aware of?

It's good to see you back on the forum, hope you're keeping well & building up your strength.

Best wishes,

Lozellian

thank you lozellian i am getting there slowly thank you for asking..the photo in question is of the st georges tavern which is on post 85 on this thread..its got the m and b sign on the front of the pub and what appears to be an ansells sign stuck on the roof but like i said i reckon the ansells sign is a bit of trickery...just my opinion...

lyn

thank you lozellian i am getting there slowly thank you for asking..the photo in question is of the st georges tavern which is on post 85 on this thread..its got the m and b sign on the front of the pub and what appears to be an ansells sign stuck on the roof but like i said i reckon the ansells sign is a bit of trickery...just my opinion...

lyn

Hi Astoness,

I finally found the picture and I see what you mean, trickery indeed lol.

Lozellian.

Do any members remember this pub , It was only 200/300 yards away from The St Georges Tavern(The Lights)
It was called The Britannia , on the corner of Tower Street and Hampton Street opposite St Georges Church
It was another one with a nickname it was known to all of its regulars as JACK SHAWS, after a previous Gaffer.

Attachments

• Brittania Inn (Jack Shaws) Tower st Hampton St..jpg
    Brittania Inn (Jack Shaws) Tower st Hampton St..jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 38
I'm a bit late joining in with this, but I came across a photograph of a Hospital Street pub posted elsewhere and there seemed to be some confusion as to where it was. I landed on this thread and found it useful, but around 2008 there seemed to some confusion here, or was it lost memories? I have attached the photograph, which was either St Georges Tavern/Inn, "The Lights" (Was that a nickname? If so why), The Vulcan or the name The Vine also got thrown in (Inn) for good measure. I've also attached a map showing the location of The St Georges Tavern (just along Tower Street from St Georges Church) in 1961. I'm sure this will not add much to the discussion, but I suspect this is one of BHF's "lost" photographs as it was refered to (in 2008) as being next door to houses with front gardens - rare in this neck of the woods I think.View attachment 133969View attachment 133970
Why would an M and B pub have an Ansells sign over it ? strange.

Back