• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Edit. Unfortunately many of the photos at the start of this thread have been lost.

hi all. ive just invested in a scanner/printer so i thought maybe you would like to see a few pic of pubs i have. sorry about the numbers on some of them. hope they bring back memories to you. wales. ps if they dont come out ok i will blame the scanner or maybe my lack of knowledge. lol

All the missing images for this thread have been reposted later in the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
pics 5 (Edit. The Lights pub).

Last edited by a moderator:
this is all ive got for now. hope they are ok. wales.:):)

please note that the unknown pic 5 is not the vulcan pub but the lights pub...

lyn

Last edited:
i know you do keith. and the swan the whitehouse the woodman etc etc etc lol lyn

Lyn
You aint got one of the Vine in Villa St have yer, one of our members is looking for a picture of it.:010:

hi postie. the member is me lol and i have posted the other day that after 12 months of searching i have it at last. wont quite beleive it till i see it but its on good aurthority that its the right one. should get a copy in a couple of weeks. cant tell you how pleased i am. will post a pic of it then you can all see what all the fuss has been about. its not much of a pub nowt special but none the less its my history. hope you liked the pics. :)

i know you do keith. and the swan the whitehouse the woodman etc etc etc lol lyn

Lovely pubs and lovely people... Thanks Lyn for these photographs.

You should change your name to Lozells Lyn

Maybel :D Sorry Mayfield

lol mabel/keith/mayfied. i quite like that but as the two streets i lived in where paddington aston and villa st hockley what about aston lyn or hockley lyn. may ponder on that. yes will give it some thought. wales (for now):)

Lloyd. as i spent most years in villa st and my best memories are from there hocklyn is top of the list. cheers lyn:)

lol mayfied. brings to mind lylo lil from the comedy bread. brillient series and joey ahh what can i say ;)

The Brook Tavern ,The Justice Inn , The Duke of Cambridge The Fountain Inn . how I iwell rememeber looking in the baroom for my parents hoping for a bag of crIsps !! My dad had worked for M&B, Ansells, & Atkinsons. but drank M&B, but I am teetotal. I am not against anyone drinking .in moderation. in fact we had a bar at the hotel we owned on The Prom in Blackpool. Thanks Wales for the memories.
Jean

hi jean. glad the pics bought back memories for you. mom and dad have been going to blackpool amongst other places for years so there is a very good chance they have stopped by your old hotel. they were there the other week but said it really isnt the same anymore. thats change for you. best wishes wales.:)

Wales, great images, thanks.

Any chance you could post a larger image of the Birmingham Arms Image 1 Sheet 4 please?

Cheers.

Dibs

hi dibbs. unfortunately as i dont have the originals as far as i know i cant make them any bigger. am sending you a private message. wales.:)

Hi lyn :)
Brilliant pics.. i don't suppose you have one of The Exchange in park Rd I had a lovely one off Phil but would like to see some more (if there is anymore out there):)

Hi Dibs,

I'm sure Wales won't mind, I have blown this one up as much a I dare. Its a little fuzzy but much larger. I have looked in my collection of pubs and I don't have a photo of this pub that I can let you have in its place.

Phil

NewtownBirminghamArms.jpg

hi maggie. i dont have any of the exchange but i know a man who most likely will. will bell him later. phil of course i dont mind. lyn

hi maggie. can you just confirm which area the exhange park road was. and was it the royal exchange. lyn

Hi Lyn :)
I already had one of the Royal Exchange off Phil :) was just wondering if there were anymore out there it was in Park Rd just before Goode Street (as was)

ok maggie. i was just not sure of the actual area it was in. will see what i can do. lyn:)

hi jean. glad the pics bought back memories for you. mom and dad have been going to blackpool amongst other places for years so there is a very good chance they have stopped by your old hotel. they were there the other week but said it really isnt the same anymore. thats change for you. best wishes wales.:)[/quote
Hello Lynn
We came to the States in 82 & I am sure it was the right time to leave.seeing what it is like now. but I enjoyed the 12 years we were in the Wembley Hotel.

Jean.

hi jean. so glad you have settled over there. i will ask mom and dad if they know of the wembley. lyn:)

Back