• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked "Old Jamaica" chocolate. Thorrnton's used to make violet creams which tasted like Parma Violets, more expensive though!
I think our table-mats were from Daz.
I had some "Poppit" beads from Judy or Bunty, and a rose ring, I think I might still have it somewhere!
rosie.

Remember these? Love the bright packaging. I liked Bar Six, but never tried Old Jamaica. VivView attachment 86933
Grandad's fvourite. I remember the ad for Old Jamaicy. This should be on another thread/threads but... mum used to say Jamaica? No she went herself.
And reading Podge's garden thread, we were watching the sparrows and I recalled my grandad calling me his little cock sparra and then Nan, Carolina, she used to wash her smalls out daily as she got older as washing became too much of a chore, but she said once, " I ope old ma so and so dow think ar pixdle me briches cos I 'ong em ewt every day!"

'Tricel'. Remember that? You could get blouses and skirts made from it. There were Tricel skirts with those permanent pleats. I think there were men's shirts made from it too. Quite a few of these new fabrics appeared around the 1960s, like Crimplene etc, all claiming to be easy care, minimal iron fabrics. And they really were too, but sometimes they weren't very nice to wear I.e. sweaty in summer, cold in the winter. Viv.

Milk bars. Must sound like a chocolate bar to today's kids. Didn't realise Milk Bars were open so late at night. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372067339.473586.jpg

'Tricel'. Remember that? You could get blouses and skirts made from it. There were Tricel skirts with those permanent pleats. I think there were men's shirts made from it too. Quite a few of these new fabrics appeared around the 1960s, like Crimplene etc, all claiming to be easy care, minimal iron fabrics. And they really were too, but sometimes they weren't very nice to wear I.e. sweaty in summer, cold in the winter. Viv.
I remember the Trutex Toppers. I had a shirt ith a big pleat down the back and a loop.
I also had a sweaty nylon Ben Shermans where the tie was the same material as the shirt, all flowery. I also had one which was like a kaleidascope effect in black and white, worn with a purple satin tie. Mum knitted me a lilac and purple tank top edged with black. She went a bit wrong so it came out psycadellic. I wore this outfit to interviews with cream bellbottoms and platform shoes with red flashes down the side. No wonder I never got the jobs. I also Had Rod Stewart spikey hair and I looked very like him them.
I used to work with this odd woman who was like a Catherinte Tate sketch character, she was known as Polyester Poll and her husband was Bri -Nylon.
When I was 15 I had a vermilion satin shirt and a white cravat which came with it which I ditched and I bought a lical paisley one instead! Yes they were all very sweaty at the disco. I only had 3 shirts. One was grey paisley crimpolene, very static. If you touched me you got a shock!Plus my old school shirts.
I remember buying a manically printed shirt like dice faces from a big wire tray in C&A that you rummaged through. it was 3 sizes to big but was only 50p so I wore that under my tank top. The most I would fork out for a shirt was £1.50. £3 for a special occassion. We used to go to a shop tht sold childrens' wear and young adults. The elderly lady assistant went to great explanations of the shirt collar. Yer looooong point ad yer cutawaaaay and yer stud collar and yer gull wing. Remember those?

I saw a mincer in the charity shop this morning. It reminded me of Mom putting bits of cooked meat and gristle through it with some old bread to make cottage pie. she used to screw it to the worktop from the wringer.....They've faded away too!!
rosie.

I have still got my hand mincer but I found that with a fitted kitchen I did not have a suitable surface to screw it to. I did see some in a shop once with a suction pad instead of a G clamp but I doubt if they were any good. Many people now have food processors or machines like a Kenwood Chef so the hand mincers probably have died out.

You never see "Chad" now, do you ? I remember he used to be drawn as a sort of dome shaped head with a nose and fingers poking over a wall and underneath would be written "Wot, no fags ?" or "Wot no sweets ?" or whatever was going short at the time !

Now it's unrepeatable things on walls, and wacky massive sparay gun writing. I didn't know his name was Chad. I used to draw a head on duck looking over a wall. On paper, or on the back on an envelope.

On Breakfast TV the other day I thought that they were confusing Chad with Kilroy (as in Kilroy was Here) but looking at Wikipedia it seems that they were the same person. Or is Wikipedia wrong? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

800px-Kilroy_Was_Here_-_Washington_DC_WWII_Memorial.jpg

On Breakfast TV the other day I thought that they were confusing Chad with Kilroy (as in Kilroy was Here) but looking at Wikipedia it seems that they were the same person. Or is Wikipedia wrong? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

800px-Kilroy_Was_Here_-_Washington_DC_WWII_Memorial.jpg
I seem to remember "Kilroy was here" came after Chad. Chad seemed to be an expression of mild protest, that was seen during my childhood, usually commenting on shortages caused by rationing.

I seem to remember "Kilroy was here" came after Chad. Chad seemed to be an expression of mild protest, that was seen during my childhood, usually commenting on shortages caused by rationing.
When I started National Service at RAF Padgate I noticed some bloke called Kilroy had scratched a message in my locker that he had been there. Then using a cubical in the toilets I saw that he had left a message saying he had used it !
As raw recruits 'bulling' our kit in the billet we noticed Kilroy had been everywhere, then eventually we found out about him.
On leaving the RAF, I became Kilroy and wrote the famous message behind a panel in an aircraft ....

On a school field trib to Wales we had dubbin for our boots. The outward bound centre supplied the boots, imagine wearing boots that have been worn by thousands. If you didn't put the dubbin on they would crack. I prepared my tender feet with white spirit to try and harden them up. I wonder if they haveoutward bound centres now? Maybe they are called something else. I never got my head around the word boot camp.
I see they still collect in schools for the boot fund. I used to take a penny in the early 60's.

Hi, probably not the right forum but I remember my mom telling me that they were always grateful that her mom was able to give them shoes because if not they would have had to wear the free boots. Anyone remember that?

hi pohipi
just read your thread on your mother providing you with shoes
well you must have been one of the well of familys then ;
there was nothink wrong withthe free hand outs of themail boots and socks
in those days there was thousands of people whom received them gladley
how sad; but thanks to the evening mail people survived after the war year
my mother had pride and respect when my father died in 1958
and my mother went to whatwas called the nabb for money after my father never lost a days work and done a couple of jobs to cloth and feed us
they offered her a book for ten bob ; she cried and threw it back at them and she wentout and dome meaning less job she died at fifty nine years old through hard labour blod sweat and tears
not like that today thou the rich are claiming everythink thats free and the real needy aint getting are they still the turn around is ion the horizon for us all
have a nice day best wishes Astonian;;

Mooching around a health food shop today I came across something I'd forgotten. Anyone who remembers Coltsfoot rock or liquorice root will probably remember Tiger Nuts ! I bought a bag and they still tasted great.

Can you still get Newbury Fruits in the UK? Not available here in New Zealand. I loved them when you bit through to the liquid centres.

The firm went into liquidation. If you google Newberry (not Newbury) fruits then it appears that a version are now made by a dutch firm. however reports state that there is virtually no liquid centre now and they are a poor imitation

What about Payne's Poppets? Haven't seen those for years. They were little round chocolates, like little grapes, with fondant centres.

hi dave
you do not mean the old carmac milkchoc ;uh ;
what ever happened to sizzels they brought out a latger version called love hearts with love versions on them you are my sweet heart and that kind of mumbo jumbo astonian;;

All I remember of Caramac is that it had a different flavour as it contained no cocoa

Web_Caramac.jpg

Caramac is the caramel flavoured bar, its name derived from the syllabic abbreviation of caramel and Mackintosh, who manufactured it originally. Caramac is cocoa free, packaged in an iconic red and yellow wrapper. The range consists of Caramac standard bar, and as of this year a Caramac Multipack.

I believe that Brummie schools used to serve up a fantastic school pudding ...CHOCOLATE CONCRETE that I recall was served with a white custard/sauce my schooldays 50's/60's and is unique to the Bham school dinner ladies menu.

I also recall buying 'black jacks' ... small black sweets 4 for a penny from a sweet shop by Henley in Arden High School

I believe that Brummie schools used to serve up a fantastic school pudding ...CHOCOLATE CONCRETE that I recall was served with a white custard/sauce my schooldays 50's/60's and is unique to the Bham school dinner ladies menu.

I also recall buying 'black jacks' ... small black sweets 4 for a penny from a sweet shop by Henley in Arden High School
I remember "Black Jacks" too. Didn't they make your tongue and teeth go black ? I also remember "Black Sambo" bubble gum. Not knowing how to blow bubbles in those days I stretched the gum out, put it over my mouth and blew them that way. Alas ! The gum stuck all over my face and trying to scratch it off, with my mucky little maulers, I ended up with Impetigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back