• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phillips Street Aston

Thanks for the lovely photos Lyn, my great grandparents were living at 62 Phillips Street at the time of the 1911 census and both died there; Lavinia Eccles in 1935 and Joseph 1941. Thank again bewdley

glad you like them bewdley..i will take a closer look at them later to see if no 62 could be there

lyn

Last edited:
Bewdley....if you look at the attach photograph , number 62 is the house with the plan doorway right in the middle of the photo, I had a friend or lived there Kenny Eccles....PHILLIP%20ST..RETREAT..WHEELER%20030[1].JPG

morning aston lad have i got this right...no 62 is the 3rd house from the right of the pic..ta very much for the info

lyn

Morning Lyn......Yes.....number 50 was a shop on the corner of Talford Street and Philips Street, don't know if it was bombed during the war or not, but when I lived in that area it was always a piece of waste land as in the photo.....John

great john its good to have someone who knows the street...i can recall going past it when our mom used to drag me up and down the length of newtown row shopping but i lived on the other side of the pond lol just off summer lane in paddington st...

lyn

Lyn....I had some friends who started life in Paddington Street.....Pinkerton was / still is their surname.....they lived at number 5 along with the Sandford family.....I only knew them when they lived on Park Lane....

john i know the name sandford i will have to check this but i think our mom was born in their house in 1929 it was either no 5 or 7...strange thing really as moms parents lived over the road at 4/12..moms mom lived at 4/12 from at least 1911 until demo in the late 60s... both myself and my brother were born at 4/12 but with only 2 bedrooms and 3 adults and 2 kids it got a tad cramped and we then moved to villa st..i think my lot took over paddington st as nans sisters lived at no 14 and the langfords at no 18...

lyn

Brilliant ......would you mind if I took a copy of the photo Lyn just for my records?

Thanks for pointing out no 62 Aston Lad, your friend Kenny must be related in some way to me - my mum was an Eccles before her marriage.

bewdley

happy to help nick..its not everyone who find a photo of the house they are looking for..after years of searching i found some of paddington st where i was born one showing the line of houses where members of my family lived and also the entry that led to our nans back to back where i was born... bought a tear to my eyes i can tell you...to date i still cant find one of the house i grew up in from the age of 5 to 18 but im not giving up hope...they are out there somewhere

all the best

lyn

Hello Lyn,

Great photo's! It's Dave from Paddington St. We exchanged e-mails a few years ago regarding the Hockley Brook. I have since been in contact with Albert Clayton, he lived in Paddington St.too. He's living in the Philippines now. Good to see that you are still diggin' away...

Hello Lyn,

Great photo's! It's Dave from Paddington St. We exchanged e-mails a few years ago regarding the Hockley Brook. I have since been in contact with Albert Clayton, he lived in Paddington St.too. He's living in the Philippines now. Good to see that you are still diggin' away...

gosh hello dave hope you are well its been ages....glad you like the photos and so long as i have a spade i shall keep on digging lol

all the best dave

lyn

Hi Aston Lad re your post No.65 - the shop on the corner of Talford/Phillip Street opposite the Talford pub was a pie shop/bakery when I was growing up and outside there was a wooden figure dressed in white with a white baker's cap on and a big thumb pointing to the shop doorway. I don't remember when it closed down but I remember great interest sometime in the 1950's when some of the first immigrants were living there and a white woman was thrown naked into the street.

Sylvia
No 50 disapeared from the electoral rolls between 1957 & 1960, but it apprently stopped being a bakers between 1950 & 1955, in that it was not listed in Kellys in 1955.

Hi All,
Some great pictures of the lovely Telsen Factory / Centre there too. Still standing, now owned by MIA, I'm the maintenance Electrician for the building.
Chris Warr,

Thanks for the information Mike, I knew the shop was there between 1954/57 as I used to walk past it every day on my way to work at Shelleys/Norton Motors and in earlier days past it on the way to my grandparents who lived in New John Street and as a little girl loved the advertising figure.

OMG, I have just had such an emotional moment, I lived at No 34 Phillips Street from when I was born, until I was 20.... and suddenly there it is in front of me in photo PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 029.JPG. The number is quite clear on the door and I remember 'helping' my dad to built the wooden barrier and door across the wide entry opening on the right, to stop late night drinkers from the nearby Talford Arms using it to relieve themselves on their way home. My great Aunt used to live two doors further up (also shown) at No. 30.

I have a photo of No 34 when it used to be my grandfather's greengrocer shop (circa 1926/7)

Johnson's the greengrocers compressed.JPG

hi exaston lad what a great photo of your grandads shop....thanks for sharing it with us...

...so pleased you have found one of your old house you must be delighted and it makes it worth me posting photos when people have a moment like you did lol

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
waa just found the pics of old aston were i lived.with a vx 490 outside. its made my day. i thought they had been del. now look at it

Last edited:
as you can see pete theres nothing left of the old street now but at least we do have the old photos before demo:):) nice pic of the red house...any change of posting it a little larger..no worries if not

lyn

View attachment 97094View attachment 97092View attachment 97096View attachment 97095hi nick here we go then...now then the 2nd photo could be lucky for you..i have asked mikejee to check out the way the numbering goes because if its low even numbers from this side of the street your dads house could very well be on it..fingers crossed...

lyn
on the first photo at the rear of the zodiac car the only house not bricked up was and might still be the caretaker of millers lamps. next door to that r/h side was a empty house full of junk. it was never used .and had no roof. the car is out side 89. my house the loft space of the row stretched the full length. you could get up there through the airing cupboard hatch and come down in to any one of the houses. pete

Back