• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phillips Street Aston

Ray you need to click on the thumbnail (in Coppermine) to get the full sized version then 'grab' the URL from that.

Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillips_Street_1967.jpg

Hi
I am re-posting these photo's Which were on before the hacking.

Philips Street 1
Phillips_St_Talford_Arms_1970.jpg

Philips Street 2

Phillips_St_28329_1968.jpg

Philips Street 3
Phillips_St28329_1968.jpg

Philips Street 4

Phillips2520Street25201967.jpg

The above photo's above are taken in 1967 and 1968. Thanks to Astoness.

Regards Stars

Hi There,
Ive just found your post re picture of Talford Arms, how do I get to look at this picture please.
Many Thanks
Amanda.x

Hi Derek,
Yes I do apologise, I didnt scroll down far enough before putting that post in.
Forgive me.........I'm new here.
Amanda x

Hi everyone

I recall being at the Talford Arms at some stage during 1963. Does anyone remember the name of the landlord?

Regards, Ivy

...and looking up Talford Street you can see the outdoor which was run by Mr. Roberts.
was that the outdoor on the corner with the rounded step?
I remember sitting on there eating that Gold(?) sweet stuff - which was like brown coconut tobacco with, I think, a Julie Scott (I'm fairly sure it was Scott) who was in my class at Burlington st (in the 60's), and I'm fairly sure that was where she lived then, so i guess her family ran it.
I was also at Burlington st. with a Lois Willis (born on exactly the same day as me), and she and her family used to live a few doors away from us in Parliament st., but then they moved to, and ran, the pub on the corner of Phillips St. and Newtown Row (hope I've got that right)..
maybe called The Waggon & Horses (could be wrong and no time to check - been on here hours already).
But we used to play upstairs in a long room of the pub - and her mom or dad would give us fizzy pop - that would be about '66/'67?? I remember Lily the Pink by the Scaffold playing in the pub - funny how things stick in your mind..
and my dad coming out of the betting shop over the road - although he wasn't a betting man but I guess we were struggling and he was desperate :(
I seem to remember a toy shop near the betting shop too - could be wrong

Hi Maz, nice to see you back on the Forum, the outdoor you can see beyond the Talford Arms was run by Mr. Roberts for many years, and it was on the corner of Talford Street/Webster Street. The Wagon & Horses was on the corner of Webster Street and Newtown Row. I can't ever recall a bookies on that part of Newtown Row or a toy shop.

By coincidence there was a Lois Willis in my class at Burlington Street School, she lived in Sutton Street near The Retreat, but of course about 21 years older than you.

Thanks for the welcome back -
don't visit much as I end up spending hours and hours on here (like today :D ) and life is quite busy.

I'm probably mixing up Phillips st and Webster st.
The bookies was probably on Webster st. then as I feel fairly sure it was sort of diagonally opposite the pub (not on Newtown Row but the side road - Webster st. I suppose).

hi folks i have aquired some new photos of phillip st...if anyone is interested i will post them....

lyn

PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 026.JPGPHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 025.JPGPHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 028.JPGPHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 027.JPGhi nick here we go then...now then the 2nd photo could be lucky for you..i have asked mikejee to check out the way the numbering goes because if its low even numbers from this side of the street your dads house could very well be on it..fingers crossed...

lyn

next 4

Attachments

• PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 029.JPG
    PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 029.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 105
  • PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 030.JPG
    PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 030.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 102
  • PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 031.JPG
    PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 031.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 104
  • PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 032.JPG
    PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 032.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 102
PHILLIP_ST__nos_2-_18.jpghi nick as i suggested earlier nos 4 or 6 could have been showing on photo 2 just down from baines on the corner but looking at it i think they are just out of shot..however they are showing on photo 8..here it is again marking out the numbers for you...would like to thank mikejee for working this out and resending me the photo below..photos will enlarge if you click on a couple of times

lyn

Lyn, thanks posting the pictures and mikejee for numbering them, I remember going with Dad to have a look at his old home when I was a 'nipper' but that's been a good few years ago now.

happy to help nick..its not everyone who find a photo of the house they are looking for..after years of searching i found some of paddington st where i was born one showing the line of houses where members of my family lived and also the entry that led to our nans back to back where i was born... bought a tear to my eyes i can tell you...to date i still cant find one of the house i grew up in from the age of 5 to 18 but im not giving up hope...they are out there somewhere

all the best

lyn

Back