1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. All of the moderators are working very hard to tidy up the Forum posts, as you can imagine 14 years tidying takes a lot of time. Quite a bit of this is taken up with off topic posts It would be helpful in future if members could keep their posts relevant to the thread Title,those that are not will be deleted. Thanks.

Phillips Street Aston

Discussion in 'Neighbours & Streets' started by Ray Griffiths, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Ray Griffiths

Ray Griffiths master brummie

More pictures Folks.

Somebody was asking for a picture of the Talford Arms a few days ago, this any good

Ray

2. mw0njm

mw0njm born and bred brummie

ray thanks what a fantasic pic of my old house it has give me goose bumps looking at it
    regards pete

3. G G Jean

G G Jean Brummy Wench.

Pete nice seeing pictures of your old house. My mom lived in ours untill she died eight years ago but my goodness hadn't things changed over the years. Bye. Jean.

4. mw0njm

it was old and run down.a bit like me.but were very happy there.

5. doris

doris Guest

Ray.....What great photo's....I will pass these on to ex member JKC...Aston Lad through and through.....I did post on another thread if you have any photo's of the surrounding streets....Clarendon,Parliament,Upper Webster Streets...Parklane..The Retreat...Upper Thomas Street...Sutton Street (Upper)...if you have please please can you post them....my old mate JKC will be over the moon..and I can get a drink out him....Ta Scott

6. mw0njm

the pics are fantastic.would love a pic of the scrap yard op our old house.were i used to get tin trays from.and slide down the hill from the retreat to phillips st.when there was waste ground there.
    pete

7. ragga

ragga master brummie

Nice one Ray .......... theyre brilliant ....... thanks .. ragga .....

8. Ray Griffiths

Ray Griffiths master brummie

Yes I think I have got Upper Thomas St. Park Lane, Sutton St.

9. G G Jean

G G Jean Brummy Wench.

Ray Pete I am sure Sylvia Sayers has photo's of Upper Thomas street?. Jean.

10. mw0njm

yes i bet a good pic that of ansells.it reminds me of the days we used to sneak in and look for bottles of beer etc.one day we found some but it was not beer in the bottle yuk. served us right.

11. G G Jean

G G Jean Brummy Wench.

I can believe that Pete I knew some of the tricks they got up to there but wouldn't put them on hear. Pete was on the brewing there. I have an old magazine somewhere with Phillip street in but ain't got a clue where it's hiding at the moment. When we are all clear I will look for it. Jean.

12. TCWARDPLUMBERS

TCWARDPLUMBERS master brummie

hi ray , thanks for posting those pictures, my father in law
    had a cafe next to belson stores - ansells brewery bottle stores, he was there in the early 60's, thanks again terry

13. mw0njm

hi.i can remember the cafe we used it.my friend lived there.later on in the 60s
    they had a standard atlas van."no names"
    pete

14. TCWARDPLUMBERS

hi pete, thanks for your reply, i cant remeber the van but my wife & her sister used to run the cafe, would you remeber the barlows family , they where freinds of mine , they lived on the oppersite side near to aston rd ,terry

15. mw0njm

the name does ring a bell.was it on the right by the stone masons?looking down phillips st.i used to keep a old morris 8 around the back of them houses.the access was next to mca.the cafe was run by mr hu****n he had daughter named t**a that was about 1967/8

16. GER22VAN

GER22VAN master brummie

Hello Pete. So you were an Aston Lad ? I was always understood to believe
    that Aston was a rough old quarter, but then I suppose any area outside your own area was rough. I am very pleased for you that you found a photograph of your old house. I did not know that area very well except for New John Street were I used to take scrap iron and rags for a few pennies.
    Sorry pete just seen your locations under your tractor.

17. TCWARDPLUMBERS

hi pete,
    looking up phillips st from aston rd they lived in the first house on the left hand side, there was a passage which was the back of the shops in aston rd terry

18. mw0njm

yes i remember. the little shop op the cafe kept there bedford wagons down there. pete

19. brenda barr

brenda barr master brummie

Ray do you or anyone else happen to have a picture of Copely street....love all the pictures of the surrounding streets bringing back lots of memories...as l've said before we'd have all taken pictures had we known everything was going to disappear, l left in 1958 just before everything started to change and even though l have pictures in my mind of Aston how it used to be its nice to have some pictures for backup....Brenda

20. Dave Bath

Dave Bath master brummie

Hi Ray,
    Great pictures some of which I remember. Don't suppose you have any of nearby Bracebridge Street by any chance?
    I wonder if the Barlows that Terry mentioned includes Stella Barlow who is on my St. Mary's School class picture?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009