• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Viv
There is a summary of some of the terms at https://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/firemaps/england/northwest/goadlegendmanchester.html, but it does not include "None" so I agree the best guess is no doors or windows

Possibly also, no insurance cover.

Remember the old fire insurance marks or crests that were attached to the fronts of buildings in the early 1800's etc. so the fire brigade knew at the outset whether their efforts to put out a fire or save a building would be financially worthwhile.

"Covering 75 Years" by C.R. McDonald is the story of the founding of the Mutual Muncipal Assurance Co., now absorbed deeply within Zurich Assurance, and has chapters about the first building insurance companies. One of the founding fathers was George Bernard Shaw when he was a St Pancras councillor. The Company eventually had branches in all the big cities.

The Birmingham Branch opened in 1926 at 174 Corporation Street, in 1938 moved to King Edward House, New Street, and in 1977 moved to Canterbury House, Newhall Street.

Maurice

I have no doubt that this passageway that ran between the Exchange Restaurant and the Queens Hotel in Stephenson place was used by many a celebrity when secretly making their way into the Odeon on New Street via the back doors for a performance.

Attachments

• City Birmingham Stephenson Place Alley to Odeon.jpg
    City Birmingham Stephenson Place Alley to Odeon.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 63
  • odeon.JPG
    odeon.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
Might be wrong, but isn't it still there?

I can remember exiting the Odeon after the fire alarm sounded and ending up in the passage as well as using it as a shortcut to get to Station Street

Speedwing

It's many years since I was last in that part of the City, but I think it is now part of The Moor Street link to New Street Station.

Just been looking at an extract from Sketchley's Directory of Birmingham, 1770. I notice a few small roads/passageways etc that are unfamiliar to me, although some members may know of them:

Cabbage Row
Boxing Alley
Chain Yard
Potter's Yard
Higgin's Yard
Horse Shoe Yard
Green Tree Yard
Topham's Row
Candlestick Alley

Some lovely names, doubtless with lots of history associated with them. Viv.

One other you might like is "Over the Shamble". Can't imagine what the place was like but it had 16 houses with 64 men and women living there. Viv.

Whilst we are on this thread I might as well include this photo of Henns Walk taken sometime before it was widened out and made into a road which must have been sometime before 1920 as the maps after then show it as a road running from Moor St to Dale End. Previous to that it was only an alley with a tunnel entrance at the Moor St end.
Another of Henns Walk. This is #1 Court Henns Walk. Viv.

image.jpeg

Good morning viv
Blimmey what year do you think that year was they must have been the first batch of corporation build
They had to be very poor conditions to live yet alone look at the state the building was in
It likes like it was on the verge of collapse and its be ending shored up to stabilise it
It goes to make you wonder how people survived in those days, , eh ,
I have got some pictures of the farriers pub as well , Lichfield street is very interesting to me as well
I have not had to much time to research or delve into my files at the moment
I am still trying to recover from a fall down of a very steep stair case damage legs
And a bad head shattered nerves and constantly nose bleeding during whilst I am a sleep
The nose bleed awakes me up out of my sleep can't walk either ,and I keep my files
Down in the cabinets of my garage I have to rely on my old Dutch ESS to pick the right file
But always gets it correct ones
Still have a nice day viv, best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,

Sorry to hear you are still in the wars as we used to say.
Hope you get better soon, you must be more careful, none of us are getting any younger and you are a bit of a role model to us younger boys.
Cheers Tim.

the two maps below show court 1 Henns walk. the phot must hav ebeen taken from about where it says post in the c 1889 OS map

Attachments

• fire insurance map court 1 henns walk.jpg
    fire insurance map court 1 henns walk.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 31
  • map c 1889 showing court 1 henns walk.jpg
    map c 1889 showing court 1 henns walk.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 31
Burlington Passage in the 1960s. Day & Co footwear is just out of view, but on the first floor (left) we're told it's 'aristocracy footwear'. Viv.
image.jpeg

Good morning viv
Blimmey what year do you think that year was they must have been the first batch of corporation build
They had to be very poor conditions to live yet alone look at the state the building was in
It likes like it was on the verge of collapse and its be ending shored up to stabilise it
It goes to make you wonder how people survived in those days, , eh ,
I have got some pictures of the farriers pub as well , Lichfield street is very interesting to me as well
I have not had to much time to research or delve into my files at the moment
I am still trying to recover from a fall down of a very steep stair case damage legs
And a bad head shattered nerves and constantly nose bleeding during whilst I am a sleep
The nose bleed awakes me up out of my sleep can't walk either ,and I keep my files
Down in the cabinets of my garage I have to rely on my old Dutch ESS to pick the right file
But always gets it correct ones
Still have a nice day viv, best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,
Hi Alan,
We should not assume that all old property was council owned. In fact it was because of the state of private rented property that the council decided to start building council houses. Now, because of the policy of selling council houses, the rental market is predominantly privately owned. As a matter of fact I was born and grew up in Carlton Road, Small Heath. All of the houses were rented property owned by private companies. Our home was owned by Jack Cotton and Partners who, in actual fact, were good landlords as long as the rent was paid.
Take care - Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Thylacine

I have heard the word Snicket mentioned on many occasions, and there was once a very infamous Gullet off the end of Lichfield Street (Corporation St) that has been mentioned many times on this forum.

Phil

CityLichfieldStTheGullet1876.jpg
Snicket and Ginnel are words used in Yorkshire for what we call Alley.

Pullars of Perth, on the right of Days, were cleaners 'par excellance'. My mother in law sent Pop's white starched collars to Scotland once they closed that shop. They were packed in a horseshoe shaped box, back and forward they went until he died in the mid 80's.

Days also holds memories, a friend was born with one leg shorter than the other. In her teens she so wanted to be the same as every one else that she had the most awful operation to stretch her leg at the Woodlands Hospital. However at last she felt good about herself, but she was left with one foot a different shoe size, and yes you guessed, ~Days made her shoes. We would go in and she would choose the shoes and the first pair were red. Better than one flat brown lace up and a built up boot.

Dennis
From directories the entries from 1850 to 1890 for102,103 & 104 Moor St do not seem particularly interesting , but matbe you can find something

102 Barnabus Dugard, harness furniture manufacturer

If anyone is interested, I have the family history of Barnabas DUGARD.

OMG....long time no been on....lost boy!...BUT....you are my only hope Phil or mike........Hill Street....ages ago......a PUB...the Old "Summat or Other"..? Any ideas....promise to behave and play nicely....HELP!!! ...and learn how to put photos on etc.....

17389251_1935060756726686_2467441565491342894_o.jpgPub Sign Hill St.jpg17359257_10155016977091067_739444230371520971_o.jpg

17389251_1935060756726686_2467441565491342894_o.jpg Pub Sign Hill St.jpg

OMG....long time no been on....lost boy!...BUT....you are my only hope Phil or mike........Hill Street....ages ago......a PUB...the Old "Summat or Other"..? Any ideas....promise to behave and play nicely....HELP!!! ...and learn how to put photos on etc.....

Dennis, Not sure what your question is about. The red arrow on your map points to Lloyds Old Bank Limited in High Street although I have never seen Old Bank in the name of the bank before, only in the address. Your photos refer to Hill Street and I can only think that the lamp you show has something to do with the Post Office as I can't read it.

Dennis
It all depends on the date. the sign looks as if it is where the Samson & Lion ( n0 46 Hill St) was . It looks a bit like Old contemptible to me, possibly the name of a bar in the pub. However, further up, until about 1882, at no 51 was the Old Rodney. But I would have thought that that pub would have been about where the space and railings on the right side was, further up the street.

But is it a pub ? The entrance doesn't look like the regular pub entrance to me. Theres another sign on the pillar too, but can't read it. Might be a business plaque. Viv.

i dont think its a pub..too many words and as viv said its not a regular looking pub entrance

I think you may have to go back further on this one its obvisioly a wine bar and resturuant with rooms to let
accomodation for over night vistitors possibly a members club
and this would have been just before they changed it to the eagles pub for jazz in later years
so what ever you make of it i say its the last one before they remodern and changed to the eagle pub ,
hill street and regarding the post office there is a tunnell that went underneath that building
which when it was sorted all for the main post office materials to be taken and for the post office parcils from customers to to be taken back to the sorting section they had little trucks electric truck which from time to time if you looked through the space below ground
you would see them and later in years again po vans used to drive down the ramp between the building on hill street
Astonian,,,,

incidently the front door was a series of stepps that you enterend and walked up the stair case to the actual bar rooms
there was no ground bar rooms down on the ground floor astonian,,

Is the boy outside with the basket and the man in uniform significant? They and the other bystanders look like they're waiting for something. But don't ask me what?! Viv.

I thought the Golden Eagle pub was on the other side of the road Alan (ie left side of photo). But could be wrong. Viv.

Back