• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Dive in folks - I will start with my favourite Union Passage, off Union Street. This harboured my favourite watering hole The Cabin. After Tech we gathered for a swift one or two before getting the bus home....great big circular copper bar top. Huge. Any one else remember it? The sign on the lamp is just visible in Picture 4 on the left.

Union Passage 1864 &1895.jpgUnion Passage 1897  Cherry St.jpgUnion Passage 1907.jpgUnion Passage 1911.jpg

Reposted. These may now be in a different order...sorry but my memory, like my Bank balance, is fading...

Last edited:
Wonderful idea for a thread Dennis.

I always thought Union was one of the most atmospheric passages - there is just something about the sweep of the shop window on the right of pic4.

Nice one of Cherry St too.

Not my idea though. Phil started one on another Forum. Got a brilliant response. Hope he doesn't mind forging one on here.

Dennis

I have no problem with it, I'll even repost some of the photos here if you want me to. They would probably look better on here due to the size restrictions on the other site.

Phil

Dennis,
No one could forget the Cabin with it's copper bar,a place of such character.
However, I could not remember where it was,thanks for that.
How about the corner cupboard,do you recall that one,off Bull St.?.

Ray

The Corner Cupboard was on the other side of Union Passage to Kunzle's in Union Street.

Phil
City Corner Cupboard Union Street[1].jpg

Last edited:
A few more images of Union Passage as it cut its way through from New Street to Bull Street. One showing where it crossed Union St after the rebuilding of the Big Top Site. Another showing Symingtons at its junction with Bull St. One showing Evans outsize shop at its junction with Martinaeu St and another showing Hardy's bed shop.

Phil

Attachments

• City Union Passage.jpg
    City Union Passage.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 75
  • City Bull St - Union Passage  Symington & Edwards 1911.jpg
    City Bull St - Union Passage Symington & Edwards 1911.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 71
  • City Union Passage  Martinaeu St.jpg
    City Union Passage Martinaeu St.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 67
  • City Union Passage (2).jpg
    City Union Passage (2).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thylacine

I have heard the word Snicket mentioned on many occasions, and there was once a very infamous Gullet off the end of Lichfield Street (Corporation St) that has been mentioned many times on this forum.

Phil

City Lichfield St The Gullet 1876.jpg

Last edited:
Using the Washwood Heath tram a lot I often found myself walking along Union Passage to New Street. The older pictures are not recognizable to me also most of the newer ones...albeit they have the feel of the place. I don't remember there being so many shops there...maybe Goering changed the face of it some. Some maps indicate it as Warwick Passage from this intersection to New Street but I always considered it as Union right through.

Rupert

I've gone back to 1885 on maps and that far back it has always been Union Passage for the whole length. Warwick Passage did cut off Union Passage to Corporation St though, as can be seen on this 1950's map.

Phil

City High St Plan.JPG

Last edited:
Dennis

As I told Jean I think turning this thread into a quiz would spoil your thread, and I think it has the possibility of attracting a lot of comments. We already have a thread for this type of quiz, namely the "Where is this?" thread. I will utilise that once I sort a subject out or someone suggests one. Jean has suggested garages, so if anybody else would care to suggest another.

Phil

No problem Phil, I'll agree with anything you say. I am a total creep. And thanks for the map by the way, I am male so have no sense of direction (quote from Mrs W). Really useful for orientation.

Whilst on Union Passage and its environs, anyone remember the stamp shop enclosed? Bliss...View attachment 57451View attachment 57451and does anyone have any extra information about that fabulous REALLY old building?

Union St   Stamp Shop.jpg

Last edited:
A second Alley, just as well known a Union Passage is Needless Alley first recorded in 1731 it runs from Temple Row to New Street. Here are a few photos ranging from 1883 up to recent times.

Phil

City Needless Alley (2).JPG City Needless Alley 1883.jpg City Needless Alley[1].jpg City Needless Ally 1963.jpg

Last edited:
Aidan

I was more interested in the bloke she is looking back at, I was wondering if he was hubby and they had just had a bit of a tiff and she had stormed off in front.

On a more serious side, I remember Needless Alley as a bit of a sombre place, but from the recent photo it looks like it has undergone a bit of a makeover.

Phil

Needless Alley...and there I was always thinking it was Needlers. I had thought that it was long gone...but not so. I don't believe that I was ever down that one but must have walked past it a time or two. Could be that I did not think it went right through and maybe there were trucks in there delivering.

The long, medial or descending s (ſ) is used on the 1731 Map so it looks like Needlers but is Needless - but does anyone know why it was so called? It always seemed fairly useful to me (especially with Mr Bill's Bier Kellar)....

Last edited:
Aidan

Other than it's close proximity to Temple Street both running from Temple Row to New Street I can't really say. I remember reading somewhere that the actual line of the alley was laid out by the edge of an ancient field. Perhaps The Cherry Orchard?

Phil

Aidan

No doubt where the name Shut Lane that ran from Moor St to Park St came from.

Phil

Bordesley Shut Lane.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis, Needlers Alleway was always a favorit of mine. I have no photos unlesss Phil has a couple. Why it was called this is a mystery to me, but what an alleway!!

Back