• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

thanks phil...i thought there must be more than one gullett..that link you posted i think conifirms my pic does show the one that was in corporation st...boy did they look seedy places to live...must have been very hard times...

lyn

The Collonade was a fine Hotel I thought...and a sad loss. I think I would take it in prefference to what replaced it, in a shot. One passage that has never been on here is Nelsons passage...opposite the old fish market (no roof). Only sighting was a pile of bombed debris. Any finds on this would be great. I thought that Shutt Passage might have been it but wrong seemingly.

This is down as 42a High St 1904 but what was the passage called i,m sure i remember it . It ran from the High St to Moor St. Dek

There's three on the 1890 survey. Swan Passage...already mentioned

Nelson Passage...oposite the fish market...from High St. to Moor Street.

Scotland Passage... at top of map section...also from High St. to Moor Street. but almost at right angles to Nelson Passage.

see link https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=2253&oy=1879&zm=1&czm=1&x=272&y=149

Ah, Shutt Lane is on there too.

Here's another three...Ladywell Passage

Hath Passage

Smithfield Passage... All on same 1890 survey.

See link https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1906&oy=2428&zm=1&czm=1&x=292&y=166

Here's another Passage but called a walk Henns Walk off Dale End.
But looking for this I noticed just south of the Grand Theatre and Old Square...Rope Walk. Not a passage but just next to Foster Boating Stores. This must have been where they measured out the ropes that were sold many years ago. Doubt that this kind of activity is conducted now and did not realize that this occured so close to the City Centre. There are also Chain Walks around that surved the same purpose for chains I suppose.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=2240&oy=1095&zm=1&czm=1&x=426&y=48

Also...Temple Passage off Temple Street

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1351&oy=1383&zm=1&czm=1&x=394&y=192

Better known Burlington Passage off Lower Temple St...Great Barbers there at the junction of the two parts.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1420&oy=1359&zm=1&czm=1&x=360&y=629

Dr. Johnson Passage between Bull St. and Upper Priory...new to me.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=1970&oy=847&zm=1&czm=1&x=223&y=171

Dennis
In 1855, there doesn't seem to be a Shaws Passage, but in Park St, by the side of the railway that side of the road there was at no 18 :
Shaw Henry, wrought nail, chain & rivet manufacturer, & wholesale ironmonger (Railwav bridge).
They are still there in 1899, which is about when the passage seems to have appeared in directories, but it is named on the 1890 map, so it must have been there before. Possibly before it was an internal firm.s passage, and rhus got the name
Mike

I think that's the one Mike. Brilliant research. Here is the Google shot.

PS Added later....picture now in Post No 20.

s Passage 2009.jpg

Last edited:
Rupert mentioned SCOTLAND PASSAGE, leading from High Street to Moor Street. This is a shot I have of it, but it only shows the entrance. There is an even more intriguing Passage further along though, as seen in Phil's earlier posted map, called Castle Street. I don't remember either. Any info or pictures out there?

Scotland Passage and Coop1929.jpg Moor Street  Scotland Passage   1958.jpg

I did enjoy the superb link to the Gullett from Thylacine, and Lyn's frightening Piccy. I think Phil may have other shots of the creepy Gullett too? Cheers.

Last edited:
Replying to my own post - I am a ditz. Moss G has named and shamed Castle Street by the side of M&S a few posts ago! Sorry for the lapse. Wonder if there were ever houses in it? I will post this as penance...Dr Johnson's Passage - so named in honour of the author and philosopher who stayed there as a guest of a Dr Hector. Although the passage has gone, Dr Johnson is remembered in the nearby Dr Johnson House.

s Passage:Bywaters1960.jpg Dr Johnsons Passage 1954.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis

A couple of early photos of Scotland Passage and Castle Street, I think sadly they have both gone now. I remember once years ago having to go to the Personnel office of the Co-op in Scotland Passage to apply for a job. I didn't get it, must have looked too much like a tearaway.

Phil

City Castle Street.JPG City Scotland Passage (2).JPG

Last edited:
That looks very creepy and I wouldn't have walked down it on a foggy night Dennis. Thanks for posting your pics. Jean.

Crooked Lane, said to have run from the Cherry Orchard (back of Rackhams) to the junction of Bull St & High St. This lane has been discussed on this forum many times, as a quick use of the search facility will show.

Phil

City Crooked+Lane[1].jpg

Last edited:
Rupert

This is Dr Johnson Passage, I believe the Meeting House is still there today but in a much altered condition. In this photo which I suppose could have been taken from Lewis's if you look along the passage you can see Greys department store opposite.

Phil

City Bull Street Dr Johnson Passage.JPG

Last edited:
Great view Phil. Found this supposedly of the Gullett

.Gullet (1).jpgGullet (3) -2.jpgLichfield St Stafford St Gullet 1872.jpgGullet (2) small.jpg

Attachments

• Ashley Passage Gullet.jpg
    Ashley Passage Gullet.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Great photo's of Dr. Johnsons Passage...both Phills and Dennis's. Phills is one of the best shots on here. There was a little graveyard down there...Quaker I think...OC investigated it a while ago and found that the headstones had been moved to another site...maybe...too short a time ago for my memory.
Yes Aidan the doctor was supposed to have been in the Old Square and no doubt this feature is named after him...well one would think anyway. Yes...why not.

Nice find Thylacine, thanks. Good old Showell. I had not heard the bit about the widow Porter before, or Uncle Harrison for that matter...

Another (ahem) "literary passage", this time one that's still with us. Coleridge Passage (courtesy of Tim Ellis at flickr) seen on 13 December 2009:

Christchurch Passage still remains to day a reminder of Christchurch that stood at the end of New Street. Demolished at the end of the 19th century and replaced with Galloway's Corner a well known chemist & camera sales shop. This too went under the hammer at the end of the 20th century for the enlargement of Victoria Square but they managed to spare Christchurch Passage.

Phil

City Christchurch Passage (2).jpg City Christchurch Passage 2.jpg

Last edited:
I used to walk down this passageway every day in the early sixties to catch the bus to work. The passageway is called Eden Place and it runs between Colmore Row and Edmund St.

Terry

Aidan isn't that Newton Street?Coleridge Passage is at the far end of the Law court isn't it? Moss.

How long has that Starbucks been there? It used to be my solicitors offices. Hallwrights before that Taylor Hallwright we used them since the 60's. How long have they been gone?

Phil

Thanks Thylacine - I hope neither Coleridge or McGonagall will mind

Moss - you are right and was just laziness on my part in finding a nice picture of the terracotta wonder that props up that side of COleridge Passage.

Phil - brill pictures of Christchurch passage - I had no idea there were shops all the way down.

Can anyone identify this still cobbled shut I found while virtually touring the back of Rackahms (as is my wont) - about halfway down Temple St https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...=n26hkpNXOqbVRkKWbkOlxg&cbp=12,266.19,,0,0.06

Aidan
I think you will find this is one end of Temple passage, which does a sort of rectangular crescent and comes out further up the street
mike

Back