• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

I did not think that Rackhams stretched as far as Cherry St. but the second picture on post 116 clearly shows that it did. Gosh the Dolcis shop on the corner dissappeared and I did not notice. I suppose that, by the time all of this happened, I did not have to pass there every day on my way to school.

The picture below doesn't quite belong on this thread perhaps, but it might be of interest. It shows an entry in Granville Street, Ladywood, providing access to the rear houses in a court (date unknown). It's a very good photograph, if not of the best quality (it is scanned from a newpaper).

[Thanks to Astoness Lyn's "old evening mail pics ..." thread.]

Though named a street, Don Street Winson Green was no more than a Passage. It ran from the Don Public House on Lodge Rd opposite All Saints Hospital to Harding St. Both the Don and Don St are now gone and have been replaced by housing.

Phil

Winson Green Don St .jpg

Last edited:
I have walked down many of the Passages etc in central B'ham in my younger days, and enjoy reading about them in this thread. My brother-in law say's he can remember an alleyway named 'Chicken Walk' somewhere near Moor St station or Digbeth area. I can find no information about it and don't remember it. Has he had a 'senior memory lapse' ?

I bon't know about near Moor st, but I would think he was remembering Henns Walk
Mike

map_c_1910_Henns_walk.jpg

Mike

Wouldn't this be the corner of Henns Walk and Dale End? The photo I think is one that you posted.

Phil

City Dale End 1st Day whisky sales after war.jpg

Last edited:
I've phoned my brother-in-law and he said it wasn't Henns Walk. He says he can remember walking down Chicken Walk but is now wondering if he dreamt it. Very nice photo of Henns Walk, and it must have been quite a Sale for that queue.
Thanks oldmohawk

Yes Phil, that is the corner. The picture was of the first sale of whiskey at E.D. James shop after WW1. Since then I have come accross a cutting from the Ev. Mail in 1980, which states that soemone remembering the event said that there were two queues at the door, one to the left and one to the right. One of these was for those who had a medical prescription for it, , the other queue for the rest. Possibly you didn't have to pay duty on it if it was for medical reasons. I feel a need to visit the doctor coming on !!
Mohawk . i had thought that perhaps Chickens Walk was a local name for it (for obvious reasons). Cant find any mention of it, so , possibly it was a local nickname for another passageway
Mike

Right back to the purpose of the thread, anybody else remember Claremont Rd that ran from Farm Rd to Sampson Road opposite Lloyd Farmhouse in Farm Park Sparkbrook,

Though officially a road this also was no more than an Alley, with houses on one side only, and rear entrances to houses on Farm Rd on the other. It is still there today but devoid of all housing as it is mainly industrialised now, except for the local community centre and I have an idea that its closed now.

Phil

Sparkbrook Claremont Rd .jpg

Last edited:
Frequent users of "El Sombrero" on the Horsefair would have known this weird little street. Little Bow Street, it was situated at the end of the Horsefair and ran from the National Provincial Bank on the Horsefair to Bow Street.

I don't know how you would describe it, was it an Alley, a Cul De Sac, a Shut, No Through Road, I suppose it could be described as any of those. I'm afraid that it is gone now though.

Phil

Lee Bank Little Bow St.jpg

Last edited:
Oh the memories. El Sombrero, La Fiesta. Proper coffee to be had before skinny lattes, and the five hundred other variations invented by Costa Starbuck to make life irritatingly complex...

What about Ladywell Walk as well? Anyone remember this short cut?

El Sombrero Cafe.jpg Ladywell Walk  1921.jpg Ladywell Walk  1953.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis

I remember Ladywell passage very well, and often used it as a shortcut between Hurst St and Pershore St. The direction would depend on if I was heading for the Heartbeat or the Locarno.

Phil

Here's a real beauty of an old alleyway (just look at the date over that arch) It stood I am reliably informed adjacent to 6 Spiceal St at the bottom of the Bull Ring. It was known locally as "The Gates" mainly due to the large iron gates that were locked at night. Any ideas to the correct name for this alley would be gratefully received.

Phil

City Spiceal St No 6 The Gates  1938.jpg

Last edited:
phil..you are right thats a cracking pic...i take its no longer there.....looks like a female walking through..maybe the 50s...oh without my glasses on the date looks to be 1780..what a great piece of history gone....

lyn

The Gate must have been the alleyway shown close to the fish market in the 1890 map below
Mike

map_c_1890_passageway_off_spiceal_st_A.jpg

Isn't there a Theatre Approach (or some such) off Smallbrook Queensway? Is it still there? Little more than a passage or alleyway down towards Station Street.

Here it is, Charlie: Theatre Approach running from Hinckley Street to Smallbrook Queensway. It appears to be open to vehicular traffic (one way).

Nice to see these snippets of Brum.does anyone remember a shop that sold cakes and rolls especially pineapple cream cakes,this was in 1956/57.
I can't remember whether this was in Union St,Union Passage or martineau St.

Jemina

Jemina

If it is Union St on the corner of Union passage opposite the Corner Cupboard pub then it would be Kunzles cake shop and Restaurant you are talking about.

Phil

thanks for that dennis...no wonder in a previous post i said the pic of the gullet i posted gave me the creeps...

lyn

Dennis i,ve just read your post mentioned Ryder St Stafford St & Colsehill St this rings a bell with me i think there was a" White Lion Passage" in that area. Dek

When I was an apprentice signwriter our shop was 60 Stafford Street, I was asked at one time to go down and start tidying the cellar up,(full of old signs and paint cans) and the back door led to some steps going up and at the top of these steps was an iron gate which if I could have opened it put me in Ashley Passage.
It was a real dirty place even then, 1953-60.
You could walk down it from Ryder Street down to James Watt Street

Well found Rupert. Yes Dek, I did confirm that it existed (Exhibit A M'Lud), but as you can see, there weren't many folk living there...at least in 1925 there weren't. I certainly cannot remember it or where it was. Good call.

Last edited:
More information on Shut Lane.

The only photo of this old Lane’s remnants seems to be the Keith Berry photo that Phil originally posted (Post 33), showing a very small derilect passage (just wide for one car). Being opposite Castle Street, it ran from Moor Street at the top and went down to Park St, but today it is all gone. Only Shaw’s Passage is left to give a general idea of where Shut Lane used to be, as this lay more or less opposite off Park Street. There is a small curb stone turning into a Car Park in Park Street, just opposite Shaw’s Passage, where it might have been (see photo), but no street sign is evident. Anyway it was probably the other side of the Railway bridge looking at the maps, and demolished when the New Road system by the Silver Slug was built.
The old way of spelling was Shutt Lane. Shutt meaning Gate or Floodgate (Floodgate St is a bit further down from town). It followed the ancient course of a stream from the many springs in the area. In its early days, the Lane was very narrow, was not paved, and had no lighting. The Governors of King Edward's School in 1854 offered to put a school in the Lane for the education of the children, but on seeing the conditions in the lane, decided to put the Industrial school in Cannon Street instead.

In these old Maps of 1730 and 1785, Shutt Lane is seen as quite a prosperous looking area. In the 1841 Census there are 42 dwellings listed, but by 1881 only one dwelling, No 1 (at the Moor Street corner), seemingly remained. But that must have been a substantial dwelling with two servants and four boarders plus a family of three and a visitor at home that night.

Shutt Lane 1730.jpgShutt Lane Map 1785.jpgShut Lane Map 2009.jpgShut Lane 19881 Census sheet.jpgShut Lane 2009.jpg

Last edited:
Another two odd passages are off Allison Street, almost opposite Digbeth Police Station. Well Lane and Orwell Passage. I know nothing about these two, any information out there? Orwell Passage is not labelled on the map, but is coloured green and seemingly, in this 1902 map, joined up with Well Lane?

Orwell Passage.jpg Well Lane Photo 2010.jpg Well Street Map, Digbeth  coloured 1902.jpg

Last edited:
And for my final act today, what about Paternoster Row also off Park Street? Still some remnants there, but what the hell was it? Paternosters are the last few beads on a Rosary, or a type of continuous lift system you stepped on and off when it passed slowly by (I remember them with horror at Perry Bar Tech some time back), but is this any connection to its history? Any old RC church nearby at any time?

Paternoster Row.jpg Paternoster Row 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back