• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise pre development 2014 -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only visible works at the moment Dave are the roadworks around the Sand Pits / Summer Row area.

Note Fletchers Walk is not open all the time (this is the strange passage way underneath the Conservatoire that had shops in it)

I don't think it is open at all at weekends.

But you can still walk under the old library to get from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square.

I should imagine while the Paradise work is going on there will ALWAYS be some route through from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square.

Though it could be interesting what pedestrian route they offer when they start demolishing the library.

Posting again, as my post before the site went down again yesterday had gone.

Fletchers Walk was closed on Saturday - seen from Easy Row Subway

That's under Suffolk Street Queensway (above here is near the Queensway tunnels).

Behind this view is the Alpha Tower and Arena Central site.

Crikey, that look grim Ell!!

Sadly a lot of the area around the old library, such as Paradise Forum, is awful.

Unattractive concrete, graffiti, rubbish, even homeless people sleeping rough.

The council should be ashamed of themselves that an area like this exists in the centre of the city.

The sooner the whole thing is knocked down the better.

To show how bad it was I posted some photos of the area in 2010 on another forum here

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212195

Those changes don't actually start until 10th of May so it is more like stay away from Paradise NEXT month.

In fact road works and diversions have already started in that area (they started in January) so it is probably a good area to stay away from totally by car.

Best to go up by train or bus if you can, or use the ring road and avoid the Paradise area.

I am not sure how many people are aware, but the existing huge roundabout, that goes round and under the old library, is going to change completely.

The section of that roundabout, that runs UNDER the old library (NOT the A38 but the road that goes at surface level), is going to be totally removed and ALL traffic in future will be sent round the WEST side of the old library, with traffic running both ways on that section of road (where it is currently only one way).

And after all that they will start demolishing the library.

This is how the roads in the area will look at the end of the road changes.

I have posted two images, neither are perfect but they give an idea of the changes.

https://www.urbanbuildings.net/wp-content/uploaded/Transport-Vehicles.png

https://i4.birminghampost.co.uk/inc...ece/alternates/s1227b/Paradise-Masterplan.jpg

Do people really need to drive their cars into the city centre?

Most stations do have park & ride car parks. Although am aware of them being full during peak hours (but many now have overflow car parks).

Also walking from the city core to Broad Street is straight forward (if you can).

The Colmore Row / Broad Street / Hagley Road buses are quite frequent (many are those green electric hybrid buses).

My wife goes into the city for work 4 days a week by bus and train as she has no need of a car once there. Previously she used to drive in as her job required her to be able to travel anywhere in the Midlands. Likewise if I go into the city it is by the same means unless we are intending to pick up any heavy items.

People could give up their cars and try out one of these new no 9's!

Most cars at present are diverted off Broad Street down Bridge Street and Holliday Street around that Arena Central demolition.

Last time I drove into Brum, I'm ashamed to say I had to use a sat-nav to get to the place I was going to, it's all changed !

Car drivers and bus users - these signs are on the top of Suffolk Street Queensway

Walkers on foot.

Fletchers Walk is open Monday to Friday 6am to 7:30pm. Closed Saturday's and Sunday's.

Note that the former shops have all been covered over

Is there any update on the Paradise development? Can anyone tell me what is happening and if it is it still possible to walk from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square? I hope to visit soon and would like to know the best way to walk to Centenary Square from Victoria Square.

Judy

hi judy i dont know for sure but that walkway could be closed off now as all the shops around there will be demolished..i am at the library tomorrow so i will take a look for you but how things stand now may not be the same when you visit so you really need an update nearer the time

lyn

You could still walk through Paradise Forum about ten days ago. There was no indication when it will be closing. The steps that go down from the walkway to the path that leads to Fletcher's Walk and Alpha Tower are closed.

Thanks Lyn. If you are in the area I would appreciate an update on how things are. I always used to walk through Paradise Forum from the old library to Centenary Square but know that things are changing rapidly. However as I hope to be up in Brum quite soon, so I would be grateful for any information on that walk through.

Also Leslam - thank you for that. I will try walking through Paradise Forum first and see if it is open.

Judy

Paradise Forum walkway open today.....or at least people were walking across the bridge ☺

judy as leslam said the forum walkway was still open today but for how long i have no idea...no indication of when it will be closed off..i shall be there again next week so will check it out again for you

lyn

Is there any update on the Paradise development? Can anyone tell me what is happening and if it is it still possible to walk from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square? I hope to visit soon and would like to know the best way to walk to Centenary Square from Victoria Square.

Judy

It is still open.

And Fletchers Walk is still open Monday to Friday.

And you can still get a bus from Colmore Row to Broad Street (they still go around Paradise Circus Queensway despite all the ongoing roadworks).

Thanks for the update Lyn and Leslam. Much appreciated. I like to be able to find my way around still when I visit!!!!

Judy

And thanks to you Ellbrown! Useful to know, although I will be walking not bussing it! I just wasn't sure what sort of chaos would be in that area for the redevelopment as it is some time since I've been to Brum.

Judy

I was up there today.

There will ALWAYS be a walking route from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square, though it may move around a bit as the demolition of the library takes place over the next year or so.

At some point they will redirect the path so it goes near the Sir Adrian Boult Hall while they demolish the old library above the current path but that wont be for a while yet.

Currently the best way to walk from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square is UNDER the old library.

You can see a sign that says "PARADISE FORUM" in big mauve letters. Just walk under the letters and you come out in Centenary Square.

This is where all the restaurants used to be (McDonalds, Wetherspooons etc though they have all now closed down)

Today I just posted some photos of the demolition of the Fletchers Walk shops on the Skyscraper City web site.

See here:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=126632218&postcount=2992

And thanks to you Ellbrown! Useful to know, although I will be walking not bussing it! I just wasn't sure what sort of chaos would be in that area for the redevelopment as it is some time since I've been to Brum.

Judy

No problem. You can get the bus if you want to get from Colmore Row to the bottom of Hagley Road in Edgbaston (if you want) near Morrisons.

Always nice walking from Five Ways Island to Centenary Square (or via Brindley Place or Gas Street Basin).

Note that the Tesco at Five Ways closed forever in the middle of August 2015.

Today 28th August

Attachments

• 28th August 2015 Friday 0186.jpg
    28th August 2015 Friday 0186.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 28
  • 28th August 2015 Friday 0187.jpg
    28th August 2015 Friday 0187.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 28th August 2015 Friday 0188.jpg
    28th August 2015 Friday 0188.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 28th August 2015 Friday 0199.jpg