• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise development 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat7272

master brummie
Edit. Please note there are a number of other related threads as follows

Paradise pre development 2014 - 2016

Paradise Circus

Paradise development 2017

Paradise development 2018

————————————————————————————————————————————
Would anyone have a recent pic of the works next to the municipal bank please? I have scrolled through the thread but I can't see anything. Also are there any more threads on the paradise works?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not taken any recent photos of Paradise Birmingham, having a break from taking construction sites.

You mean Arena Central. HSBC UK - 1 Centenary Square is complete and in use now.

This is my most recent photo of Centenary Square from 4th December 2018 from the Library of Birmingham. I've not been back up since the new year. Although have walked through the square.

Hall of Memory, 4th December 2018

Baskerville House, 4th December 2018 towards 1 Chamberlain Square.

Centenary Square, 24th December 2018. Arena Central and 1 Centenary Square (HSBC UK) on the left.

If you asked me they are trying to imulate new york but there again i say, we are slowly becoming amercicanised
in more ways and one and people cannot see it thats my opinuin right or wrong they have distroyed our city of heritage

Although to me the alterations look good, I cannot remember it any other way. It is still heartbreaking to hear how the alterations trouble Brummies and I sympathise.

I just fail to see in this day and age how the majority of opinions on what people feel should or shouldn't be replaced can't be gathered and acted upon.

Why doesn't the council open an on line scheme for what people would like to see places look like before they start a development. People could vote on what they wanted. Pictures of the past could be available and people could pick out what they liked, eg, grassed areas, seating, trees etc flower beds, water feature.

Even some sort of touch screen points so people could vote when passing through the existing area on what the proposed area should look like.

Announcements could be made on tv of these ways to vote, even have a touch screen point at railway stations nearby.

The public know what worked and what didn't work, so why not ask them and make it convenient for them to give their opinion.

Old and new. Two Chamberlain Square seen behind the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery link bridge, from Edmund Street. It's yet to be cladded.

Although to me the alterations look good, I cannot remember it any other way. It is still heartbreaking to hear how the alterations trouble Brummies and I sympathise.

I just fail to see in this day and age how the majority of opinions on what people feel should or shouldn't be replaced can't be gathered and acted upon.

Why doesn't the council open an on line scheme for what people would like to see places look like before they start a development. People could vote on what they wanted. Pictures of the past could be available and people could pick out what they liked, eg, grassed areas, seating, trees etc flower beds, water feature.

Even some sort of touch screen points so people could vote when passing through the existing area on what the proposed area should look like.

Announcements could be made on tv of these ways to vote, even have a touch screen point at railway stations nearby.

The public know what worked and what didn't work, so why not ask them and make it convenient for them to give their opinion.
Kat772, that sounds like common sense, so no chance whatsoever

Yes, I thought as much when I was writing it to be honest, I think given the chance they would knock the lot down and start again! I wonder how many of the decision makers are Brummies?

I really feel for the people of Brum, seeing all of the changes over the years.

Perhaps it's better that I didn't remember it how it was. As if it wasn't bad enough when WW2 struck, hmm, what was that sketch where someone was shouting "whatever you do don't mention the war", Basil Fawlty I think! When I go back and watch those old favourites it makes me think pity they don't make em like that anymore, I should imagine that is similar to the Brummies seeing a glass box type structure going up in Brum and thinking pity they don't stop making em like that!

It's not funny though, so much being lost.

Kat

I'll hazard a guess that the Council is effectively bankrupt and doesn't really have that much say in what is erected, just what makes the most money for them. Hence, renovating or keeping the fronts of old buildings in a project is expensive and creates problems for the developers, who are also out to make a quick buck. Sad, but that's the way many places have declined since WW2. And then there is the huge cost of borrowed money to be factored in.............

Maurice

I think the older you are the more saddened you are and its not a case of living in the past. Why couldn't they have restored the old and very popular Market Hall instead of destroying it, and also modernised the original old Library inside instead of replacing with 2 ugly buildings (one thankfully demolished) which they seem to be unable to afford to run, also they should have left the so called Centenary Square as it was with its colonnade's and lawns, trees and flower beds. As Kat said, I wonder how many of the Council are Brummies born and bred and care about the City and its traditions. Eric

Because that would be called democracy and look how far that goes, you would be needed to keep resubmitting your views until they gelled with the Council/planners, you must stop having these Utopian thoughts, get the Doctor to change your pills and you might find such thoughts are banished.

Bob

Eric,

I started in local government when I left school in 1953, did my National Service, and returned to the same job in the Accounts Dept of BCT's Head Office. A friend of mine, slightly older, suggested that we both go to night school and get an accountancy qualification. Personally a lot of the course bored me silly and I left after two years, but he carried on, qualified, stuck with BCT through all its changes, and eventually took early retirement as Chief Accountant of West Midlands Travel.

Whilst the fact that by the time I gave up the course, I was also doing a lot of musical work was a factor, I was told by a friend in the City Treasurer's Dept that there were 19 people in that Dept who were equally as qualified as the City Treasurer. "Dead men's shoes", I was told, and the only way to progress in local government was to keep moving from one authority to another.

"I wonder how many people of high rank in the City were actually born there?", you asked. There is your answer - very few, and that is the reason why.

Maurice

Some Discovery Terrace updates of Paradise Birmingham.

Centenary Way slightly altered by the hoardings that have moved.

One and Two Chamberlain Square

Two Chamberlain Square

One Chamberlain Square

From Chamberlain Square. Lifted my camera above the passing crowd. Two Chamberlain Square has been topped off. Is just about looking higher than the Chamberlain Memorial.

A bit more sunny and warmer in July 2018 when Two Chamberlain Square was half the height!

Up Pinfold Street to Victoria Square during the winter sunshine and blue sky. This would be the view facing you from the tram, or the tram driver (when this extension opens).

First signs of cladding going up Two Chamberlain Square. This view from the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham. Noticed on the hoardings on Centenary Way showing glass windows that would go between the columns.

Thanks Astoness. Didn't want to walk to Centenary Square / Broad Street this time, so headed to Edmund Street and caught a 23 to Five Ways!

Thanks Astoness. Didn't want to walk to Centenary Square / Broad Street this time, so headed to Edmund Street and caught a 23 to Five Ways!

well i bet you did not expect me to give the thumbs up on a part of the new development ell :)

Don't expect anyone to press the like button until they do!

I only popped through Victoria Square to Chamberlain Square for this after leaving Odeon New Street yesterday afternoon.

Centenary Way. Only took this as it started to hail in the afternoon. Parts of this path near Centenary Square is tarmaced and also near the museum. And the hoardings go in a curvy direction around both sites. Could do with new paving and also on the footbridge.

I seems to me that with all the reflective glass in these newer building some poor souls could get quite disorientated. :confused:

Fortunately I never have and never will see those two grotesque monstrosities behind the Town Hall. I am not deriding your photographic skills, Ell! :)

Maurice

Birmingham should not be singled out for encouraging monuments and statues of a peculiar nature. Plymouth has just joined the club. I wonder if the violent society we now find ourselves in has some bearing on brutal architecture and other edifices. Violence is not restricted to the present day but noticeably it was quite prevalent in the mid to late 19th. century. Given the appalling housing and work conditions of that time I guess it was not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back