• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street Aston

Super photo of your Dad with your Nan Presious, I live in Australia but was born in Sparkhill, I visited my Timms grandparents grave in Brandwood End when we came over in 2010 and that is the photo I took at that time. When I was a boy, I used to go with my father to tend the grave. I have several Rowe ancestors buried at Witton but did not know that in 2013 when we last visited England, we were coming in 2020 but covid put a stop to that, now I fear I will not make it back again. Grandma Timms mother was a Rowe.
did not realise you lived in australia brian....really hope you get to visit brum again...never say never

lyn

Looking back through the thread, for a relatively small road there's quite a number of connections.

A cousin of my great grandmother was at 4 back 68 in 1945 and her niece was at no. 57 in 1939.

Looking back through the thread, for a relatively small road there's quite a number of connections.

A cousin of my great grandmother was at 4 back 68 in 1945 and her niece was at no. 57 in 1939.
wow mark so as nan was at 4/12 from early 1900 to about 1968 she most likely knew your rellies...yes only a small street and apart from 4/12 i have rellies at no 14 front house..no 16..no 7 and i think it was no 25..my lot seem to take over paddington st so it is quite special to me...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi Lyn, they are wonderful photo’s, what a treasure to have.
hi jackie thank you....yes they are little treasures i still have quite a few more taken by either dad or mom in the little garden or back yard and so lucky to have them... i have all the originals left to me by dad as he knew i would take great care of them...my sisters and brothers were given a disc with all the old family photos on..

lyn

thanks john and yes they do and looking at my collection its hard to believe that dad took so many photos...far more than the house in villa st we moved to in 1958....i guess as more children came along owning a camera became more of a luxury...before you all get fed up of my photos i will post this last one which i love...taken in the back yard after mom and dad married at st georges church...date is 5th august 1950...they then moved in with nan and the first piece of their own furniture they bought was a lloyd loom chair for the bedroom...i now have that chair in my home taking pride of place as mom used it to nurse all 6 children

lyn

img603.jpg

hi jackie thank you....yes they are little treasures i still have quite a few more taken by either dad or mom in the little garden or back yard and so lucky to have them... i have all the originals left to me by dad as he knew i would take great care of them...my sisters and brothers were given a disc with all the old family photos on..

lyn
That’s fantastic to have, only lots of people didn’t have camera’s. I would of like to have a photo of my dad when I was younger, your photo’s look so beautiful. Is that your dad carrying you Nan. Love the one with the pram.

I forgot to mention love to see more. To have a photo of your mom and dad wedding photo. You look cute on your scooter. Well today they have those e-scooters now up grade from the 1960’s.

I forgot to mention love to see more. To have a photo of your mom and dad wedding photo. You look cute on your scooter. Well today they have those e-scooters now up grade from the 1960’s.
yes jackie thats dad picking nan up o_O ...i will post another couple of photos later on today...

lyn

thanks john and yes they do and looking at my collection its hard to believe that dad took so many photos...far more than the house in villa st we moved to in 1958....i guess as more children came along owning a camera became more of a luxury...before you all get fed up of my photos i will post this last one which i love...taken in the back yard after mom and dad married at st georges church...date is 5th august 1950...they then moved in with nan and the first piece of their own furniture they bought was a lloyd loom chair for the bedroom...i now have that chair in my home taking pride of place as mom used it to nurse all 6 children

lyn

View attachment 174096
Lovely photos of your parents, who is the lad looking on at the side? Lots of bushes in the garden. Brian

Lovely photos of your parents, who is the lad looking on at the side? Lots of bushes in the garden. Brian
hi brian that is a question i would like to know but no one to ask now..

hi jackie will get a few more photos on asap for you..

lyn

Hi Lyn, My infant Aunt Florence Rose Timms was born 1 back of 1 Mansfield Road, Aston on 5th October 1899 and she died on 29th March 1900 at Back of 12 Paddington Street of Broncho-Pneumonia Syncope. I think Mansfield Road is close to Vila Road where you moved to.

Attachments

• COL497560_2022-3-FLORENCE_ROSE_TIMMS.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • COL497560_2022-4-FLORENCE_ROSE_TIMMS.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Birth and Death Certificates

Attachments

• 3DA3311F-80D1-4AB5-9469-F12C58CFDA9A.jpeg
    3DA3311F-80D1-4AB5-9469-F12C58CFDA9A.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 41CB7E30-C620-42B4-BBD0-691E599BE99D.jpeg
    41CB7E30-C620-42B4-BBD0-691E599BE99D.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi Lyn, My infant Aunt Florence Rose Timms was born 1 back of 1 Mansfield Road, Aston on 5th October 1899 and she died on 29th March 1900 at Back of 12 Paddington Street of Broncho-Pneumonia Syncope. I think Mansfield Road is close to Vila Road where you moved to.
hello bri...thanks for the birth and death certs of little florence...so sad but infant deaths at this time was all too common...no i think mansfield road was in aston...i moved to villa st which was in lozells...i will check my photos as i may have some of mansfield road before demo...

lyn

hello bri...thanks for the birth and death certs of little florence...so sad but infant deaths at this time was all too common...no i think mansfield road was in aston...i moved to villa st which was in lozells...i will check my photos as i may have some of mansfield road before demo...

lyn
Mansfield Road ran between Birchfield Road and Witton Road, there are two threads with a few images.

My infant Aunt Florence Rose Timms born on 5th October 1899 to my Grandparents Alban and Rosina Timms who were married at the Register Office on 16 September 1899, that's right just 20 days after their marriage. I suspected something like this but until now was unable to confirm it, my grandfather was a very strict and moral man, he was very strict on his 4 daughters insisting they be home no later than 9 pm. Was her ashamed of the embarrassment he caused to his wife. Then why did they leave it so late to get married, they were 24 and 23 years of age. I know Rosina's parents did not want her to marry Alban saying she was marring beneath her station in life, her father John Kingham was a jeweler, William Timms Albans father was a bricklayer. I think Alban brought Rosina to Aston and then Paddington Street where no one would know them. When they lost their baby daughter on 29th March 1900 within a year, they had made their way back to Balsall Heath where they both had grown up and and they lived until about 1938 and sad little Florence was never talked about again.

Attachments

• 100_6320 189909AlbanTimmsToRosinaKinghamMarriage.JPG
    100_6320 189909AlbanTimmsToRosinaKinghamMarriage.JPG
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks
Please could anyone explain the house numbering system to me? In 1901 my grandfather was lodging with the Lucas family at "12ct 1Ho". My grandmother Jane Gaunt was a couple of census pages away with her family at "74" - but the house next door to the Gaunts is "16ct 4
Thanks
Please could anyone explain the house numbering system to me? In 1901 my grandfather was lodging with the Lucas family at "12ct 1Ho". My grandmother Jane Gaunt was a couple of census pages away with her family at "74" - but the house next door to the Gaunts is "16ct 4Ho"
Hi jane, iv come to this thread late, looking at my family history on The 1901 census my great grandfather and his family lived at 76 so potentially next door to your grandmother, there name was Tibbins, in the 1911 census it looks like they had moved to the back of 52 Paddington Street.

Hi jane, iv come to this thread late, looking at my family history on The 1901 census my great grandfather and his family lived at 76 so potentially next door to your grandmother, there name was Tibbins, in the 1911 census it looks like they had moved to the back of 52 Paddington Street.
I lived at 4 back of 52 Paddington St. (4/52)
Dave A

Super photo of your Dad with your Nan Presious, I live in Australia but was born in Sparkhill, I visited my Timms grandparents grave in Brandwood End when we came over in 2010 and that is the photo I took at that time. When I was a boy, I used to go with my father to tend the grave. I have several Rowe ancestors buried at Witton but did not know that in 2013 when we last visited England, we were coming in 2020 but covid put a stop to that, now I fear I will not make it back again. Grandma Timms mother was a Rowe.
Hello Brian, only just spotted this. Who are your Rowe ancestors in Witton Cemetery? I have my great grandfather William Rowe, great grandmother Harriet Rowe, Great Uncle William (Bill) Rowe, Great Uncle Ernest Rowe plus their offspring. Rather than list them all, if these are the same Rowe's as yours,I can send further information. What was Grandma Timms' mother's first name?

Last edited:
new photo for paddington st folks..member grassy banks (colin) said the little baby is thought to be his brother taken more or less outside the outdoor on the corner of guildford st and paddington st...the outdoor was run by his moms sister..the girl wearing the caliper on the left is colins sister..date wise 1954..to think i was living just over the road when this was taken..mind you i was only about 1 at the time...thanks colin

index.php (4).jpg

new photo for paddington st folks..member grassy banks (colin) said the little baby is thought to be his brother taken more or less outside the outdoor on the corner of guildford st and paddington st...the outdoor was run by his moms sister..the girl wearing the caliper on the left is colins sister..date wise 1954..to think i was living just over the road when this was taken..mind you i was only about 1 at the time...thanks colin

View attachment 182183
And I was still living there too, but I was 14...
Dave A

View attachment 182183
Hi, some additional details for this picture. The outdoor on the corner of Paddington and Guildford St was run by my Aunt (moms sister) from about 1939 until the late 50's, her name was Doris Flint who was a widower with two sons Fred and Ron. The lady holding my brother David Mytton is my cousin Mary Flint who married Fred in 1950, my sister Iris sitting on the step was a bridesmaid. The photo is taken just inside Paddington St outside the doorway at the back of the outdoor and would have been taken around the summer of 1953 when David was about 1 year old as he was born on 1st August 1952.

hi colin thanks again for sharing your photo...great addition to this thread...hope you have enjoyed looking at all the other photos on it...

lyn

Back