• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Owen Family, Devon Street, 1925-1938

Maria8000

Hi
Does anyone know anything at all about the Owen family, Devon Street, 1925 to 1938 please?

Or an accident at the gasworks circa 1927 (a leak, rather than an explosion)?

Trying to find information about my grandfather

Thank you

hi maria welcome......pretty sure a gasworks accident has been mentioned on the forum but not sure if its the one you need info on...yes there is a thread for 2 explosions..one is in 1923 the thread contains newspaper reports about it and gives names of those injured..click on link below to take you to the thread...just found a thomas and mary ann owen on the electoral rolls living at court 12 house number 6 in devon st...this is in 1935..i presume these are your grandparents?

lyn

Last edited:
hi maria welcome......pretty sure a gasworks accident has been mentioned on the forum but not sure if its the one you need info on...yes there is a thread for 2 explosions..one is in 1923 the thread contains newspaper reports about it and gives names of those injured..click on link below to take you to the thread...just found a thomas and mary ann owen on the electoral rolls living at court 12 house number 6 in devon st...this is in 1935..i presume these are your grandparents?

lyn

Thank you. Yes that is them. My Dad was born there. He spoke of an accident at the gas works, but not an explosion. Getting trapped inside and being exposed to gas. Thomas was bed ridden after the incident and died in 1938. He's a bit of a mystery and we've been researching him since the 1990s trying to find out where he was born. It's almost certainly too late for living memory, but you never know if someone has a tale with someone else's family in it! Thank you so much for responding.

hi maria do you know what year thomas was born? and also what is your dads name and date of birth..with a name like thomas owen could there be a welsh connection ?

Last edited:
could this be the death of thomas

Thomas Owen
Death Age45
Birth Dateabt 1893
Registration DateJul 1938[Aug 1938][Sep 1938]
Registration QuarterJul-Aug-Sep
Registration districtWarwick
Inferred CountyWarwickshire
Volume6d
Page741

Appears to be the wrong district (Warwick) Lyn. He seems to have been born about 1873, there are couple of death regs in Bham it could be, Jun 1938 or Sep 1938.

1921 census gives his birthplace as Chatham but somethings not quite right. Lived on Duddeston Mill Road prior to Devon St.

Wife is listed as a Mary Ann from Sheffield and she is also not straightforward. There doesn't seem to be a marriage and if I have the right people, their daughter, Beatrice and their son, Thomas are reg. with mmn Hardy, though that appears to be her previous married name, her maiden name possibly being Bradshaw.

An elder daughter, Mary (Alice) reg. as Hardy/Bradshaw in Sheffield. Don't know what happened to her previous husband but she possibly left a number of other children in Sheffield, including another daughter named Mary.

crikey mark no wonder marie is having trouble...what was the occupation of thomas on the 21 census

lyn

Yes - they are the 2 he posted. I just posted the deaths for info - but I don't think we need decide as hopefully, Maria can tell us.

Back