• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orchard Road Balsall Heath

Linda

master brummie
Hello Everyone

I have just received the death cert of my grt grandfather....who I have had great difficulty in tracking down as he appears to have walked out on his family.
He died at 1a Raddlebarn Rd in 1936 which I think was by then Selly Oak hospital.
I am digressing , he was living at 1/1 Orchard Road Balsall Heath at the time. I cannot find it on google maps ,I am assuming the area has been redeveloped . Does anyone have any information on this road.
Thanks in anticipation

Linda;)

Linda, Selly Oak Hospital did use the address 1A Raddlebarn Road on Birth and Death Certs.
Orchard Road ran between Belgrave Road and Sherbourne Road, it disappeared sometime in the '50's.

Colin

The 1913 map shows Orchard rd . Sherbourne road is to the bottom, Belgarve road to the top, and mosely road down the right had side

map_c_1913_orchard_rd.jpg

Hi Linda

I knew Orchard Rd Well, and often used it as a short cut through to Belgrave Rd. Here is a photo that you might like to have.
(Photo replaced, probably the same one)
Phil

BalsallHeathOrchardRd.jpg
Orchard%20Rd%20Balsal%26%231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Colin Mike and Phil,

I am hoping I am on the right track now ( always supposing I have the right chap!) The previous place I think I have found him is boarding with a widow and her son in Stonehouse Place Ormond Street ( in 3 rooms including the kitchen !!!!!!)....any idea chaps? Sorry should have made this a new thread...but it does follow on.

Fingers crossed

Linda

Ormond st is shown on the map between Newtown row and Summer lane, with StonehousePlace (I think) in blue. Ignore the red mark.

Stonehouse_place2C_ormond_st_c_1913.jpg

Hello Colin
Linda, Selly Oak Hospital did use the address 1A Raddlebarn Road on Birth and Death Certs.
Orchard Road ran between Belgrave Road and Sherbourne Road, it disappeared sometime in the '50's.

Colin
I came across this note of yours about Orchard Road, just need to correct Orchard road history, It didn't disappear as early as the '50s, as it was still there up to the clearance and refurbishment in late 60's / early 70's. We Fitzpatrick's lived in Sherbourne Road between Arter Street and Orchard Road. We were moved out in May of 1968, at which point Orchard was still there.
regards Jim Fitzpatrick.

Hello Phil, long time I no write! I found this photo of Orchard Rd fascinating. I lived for about 15 years in Sherbourne Rd near Orchard and find it incrediable that I found no reason in that time to walk down Orchard Rd. I had no idea that it joined up with Belgrave Rd. In the past I have been indepted to you for posting the photo of the Sherbourne end with the shop on the corner, I'm sure Linda would like to see that one.
regards
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Linda

I knew Orchard Rd Well, and often used it as a short cut through to Belgrave Rd. Here is a photo that you might like to have.

Phil

BalsallHeathOrchardRd.jpg
Hi Phil,

I’d love to see the photo if you still have it. I’m doing my family tree at present and - with a little help at deciphering the writing on the certificate - have just found out that my grandad was born at 5 Orchard Road in Balsall Heath.

Welcome Melonza. I’m afraid Phil passed away a while ago and I’m not sure what the photo was. But maybe another member will be able to help you with a photo. Viv.

The late Phil posted this on another Birmingham History Forum. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for, but it was taken at the top of Sherborne Rd and shows Orchard Rd. Viv.

Attachments

• 60873A53-F8C7-4B50-AADA-0585943548A4.jpeg
    60873A53-F8C7-4B50-AADA-0585943548A4.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi Phil,

I’d love to see the photo if you still have it. I’m doing my family tree at present and - with a little help at deciphering the writing on the certificate - have just found out that my grandad was born at 5 Orchard Road in Balsall Heath.
Hi Melonza, welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Unfortunately, Phil is no longer with us. His status is Gone, but not forgotten indicating he has passed away.

Do enjoy the rest of the forum and interacting with it.

Hi Phil,

Melonza. I have replaced the photo in then post you refer to with what I am pretty certain is the same as that originally posted (I saved it not long after Phil's post)

Thank you all. Great to see the pictures.

Apologies for not taking note of the messages under names.

Hello - coming back to the experts for help here - Oak Place and Kynaston Buildings and photos.

Oak Place - I have census addresses for my family given in 2 ways as follows:
1901: 2, Oak Place. (in between records for 1 & 3, which themselves are between the records for 26 & 27 Sherbourne Rd. )
1911: 2, Oak Place, 2 bk 26 Sherbourne Rd.

Does anyone have a map showing Oak Place on Sherbourne Rd?

Kynaston Buildings - shown on the 1888-90 & 1913-16 OS maps as being on Upper Highgate, across the road and in between Emily St & Leopold St.

However, the 1888-90 also shows a 2nd Kynaston Buildings off Highgate Road next to Chestnut Place (before Ombersley Rd was put in). These houses next to Chestnut Place don't change on the map till after the 30s, but only the 1888-90 shows a name (Kynaston) for them. Were there 2 or could this be a typo?

Pics: Phil, many thanks for posting the pics of Orchard Road - were these scanned from an article or do you have higher resolution prints?

Hello - coming back to the experts for help here - Oak Place and Kynaston Buildings and photos.

Oak Place - I have census addresses for my family given in 2 ways as follows:
1901: 2, Oak Place. (in between records for 1 & 3, which themselves are between the records for 26 & 27 Sherbourne Rd. )
1911: 2, Oak Place, 2 bk 26 Sherbourne Rd.

Does anyone have a map showing Oak Place on Sherbourne Rd?

Kynaston Buildings - shown on the 1888-90 & 1913-16 OS maps as being on Upper Highgate, across the road and in between Emily St & Leopold St.

However, the 1888-90 also shows a 2nd Kynaston Buildings off Highgate Road next to Chestnut Place (before Ombersley Rd was put in). These houses next to Chestnut Place don't change on the map till after the 30s, but only the 1888-90 shows a name (Kynaston) for them. Were there 2 or could this be a typo?

Pics: Phil, many thanks for posting the pics of Orchard Road - were these scanned from an article or do you have higher resolution prints?
Just looked back at these posts and realised we have lost Phil - but if anyone knows where there may be more of these please let me know

Here is a map showing Oak place.,
It is not unusual to find two buildings or courts with the same name. they are in different streets, so should cause no confusion

map c 1950 showing oak place, sherbourne road.jpg

Back